• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Another Weekend, another Smoke.....

I think every brisket I've done has been at least 14hrs. Usually start in the evening at set pit for 210 or so. In the morning it's usually close to the stall and I'll go up to 225. I inject usually with coke/apple juice and spices. wrap at the stall and cook to at least 195. I put water pan in and the only time I ever open the lid is to wrap. Did a 19lb brisket last month that took almost 26 hrs
This.

"Slow and Low" is the way to go. Its a PITA, but worth it in the end.

the-bbq-stall-explained-and-how-to-beat-it-graphic.jpg

Ok. I bought a brisket and divided it into 4 lb sections. Might be a mistake but I don't want to ruin a whole brisket plus I can experiment and get multiple tries out of it.

This weekend I'll be smoking 1 4lb piece but before I start I'd like some input.

1. Does anyone dry brine? 12 hrs or 24 hrs?

2. Cook Fat side down or up? I'm thinking fat side down.

3. Do you apply rub when you brine or after? Some claim the dry brine will cause the rub to drip off if done together. Some insist the rub needs time to be absorbed. IDK.

4. Should the brisket be flipped at any point during the cook. I'm thinking no.

5. Does anyone sprits with apple juice periodically to keep it moist? I've don't it before but I think I'm going to leave this one alone for the entire cook.

6. Any other suggestions that I have thought of?

Last edited:

1. I have never done it.
2. Fat up for me.
3. I bring the meat to room temp, then rub and let set for an hour or so.
4. No.
5. I do not spritz, but I do put a couple cups of ACV and water in the drip pan.

ACV?

Ok. I bought a brisket and divided it into 4 lb sections. Might be a mistake but I don't want to ruin a whole brisket plus I can experiment and get multiple tries out of it.

This weekend I'll be smoking 1 4lb piece but before I start I'd like some input.

1. Does anyone dry brine? 12 hrs or 24 hrs?

2. Cook Fat side down or up? I'm thinking fat side down.

3. Do you apply rub when you brine or after? Some claim the dry brine will cause the rub to drip off if done together. Some insist the rub needs time to be absorbed. IDK.

4. Should the brisket be flipped at any point during the cook. I'm thinking no.

5. Does anyone sprits with apple juice periodically to keep it moist? I've don't it before but I think I'm going to leave this one alone for the entire cook.

6. Any other suggestions that I have thought of?
1-no
2- fat down.
3- I put on dry rub several hours prior to smoking.
4-no
5- used to. Haven’t for a long time. Not really needed.
6- let it rest for several hours after you pull it off the smoker.

This is what I do.
Maybe it's wrong. Works for me

I had to take a brisket out of the freezer after reading this thread. Gonna trim it up and get it ready for tomorrow.

I usually inject tallow before wrapping, but I think this time I am going to inject prior to dropping it over the coals and again before wrapping. I still have a pint of tallow from the last time I did a brisket cook.

I had to take a brisket out of the freezer after reading this thread. Gonna trim it up and get it ready for tomorrow.

I usually inject tallow before wrapping, but I think this time I am going to inject prior to dropping it over the coals and again before wrapping. I still have a pint of tallow from the last time I did a brisket cook.
Sounds great. I'm doing 2 brisket today

I just use dry rub.
Should try injecting tallow.

Smoked Pulled Pork on the way for dinner tonight!

View attachment 107062
My butt got kicked by the stall (again)...the internet let me down -- expected 10 hours for a 5 lb pork shoulder, just finished after 13. "Had" to have leftover bacon cheeseburgers grilled Friday night. I only had a half so I'd enjoy the samples of the pulled pork that shredded like paper. I always underestimate how long it takes to smoke meat at 225, but I'm never disappointed by the results.

1716177326202.png

1716177356258.png

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back