• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Another Weekend, another Smoke.....

MiniDisk

Option Football anyone?
2 Year Member
PB_Smoke_2.jpg

Been thinking about doing the same. Anybody have some good suggestions on brisket? I have tried 3 times now and all 3 times they are just garbage. Appreciate any input.

Been thinking about doing the same. Anybody have some good suggestions on brisket? I have tried 3 times now and all 3 times they are just garbage. Appreciate any input.
Several reasons a brisket wouldn't turn out. Most common (IMO) are - fire too hot, too much smoke, not enough time on the smoker, too much "lookin' instead of cookin", not letting the brisket rest. Briskets are generally forgiving on a smoker. Make sure you can regulate your heat, get a good thermometer, and give yourself more time than you think you'll need to get the job done. I like to wrap mine in thick foil once it hits the "stall", adding some butter and apple juice to it. Once it hits around 200 degrees, I wrap it in towels and throw it in a cooler for about 45 minutes. Haven't had a terrible one yet!

I've tried twice on offset and once with my masterbuilt 560 gravity series. I'm going to have to try the foil wrapping. Ribs and pork butt/shoulder I have no problem but the brisket just seems to kick my tail. Thanks!

I've tried twice on offset and once with my masterbuilt 560 gravity series. I'm going to have to try the foil wrapping. Ribs and pork butt/shoulder I have no problem but the brisket just seems to kick my tail. Thanks!
can you explain what garbage means? texture, moisture, etc?

View attachment 105701

9 hours in....

question for everyone, who wraps their pork butts?
I wrap mine almost every time. When I don't, they don't turn out as juicy for me. I don't add anything to it, just double wrap in heavy duty foil once I hit the stall (165°-ish).

I think some of it might be due to cooking at high altitude, but I don't know for sure. I just know that I have more problems in Colorado than I ever had in Nebraska.

I wrap mine almost every time. When I don't, they don't turn out as juicy for me. I don't add anything to it, just double wrap in heavy duty foil once I hit the stall (165°-ish).

I think some of it might be due to cooking at high altitude, but I don't know for sure. I just know that I have more problems in Colorado than I ever had in Nebraska.
isnt the air dryer in colorado then nebraska? maybe add a water/apple cider pan?

I normally don't. Lot of people do.
Not sure what's best
it depends for me. i look at the fat content to determine if i want to wrap or not. also probing for its finish point is way easier.

Last edited:
isnt the air dryer in colorado then nebraska? maybe add a water/apple cider pan?
Way drier. I've done a water pan. I also have a hard time maintaining a consistent temp without using fans. It's really wild.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back