• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Ameer is Staying

Status
Not open for further replies.
This got me thinking about how the player injury insurance policies work. Apparently, it's called ESDI for “exceptional student-athlete disability insurance” and the NCAA has offered a program since 1990. The max policy through the NCAA's program is $5 million, but players can go outside the program for more. Bridgewater and Marquise Lee had $10 million policies in place this year.

The players obviously must pay the ESDI premiums. For every million dollars in coverage, ESDI premiums can run $10,000-$12,000. The NCAA has an arrangement with U.S. Bank, N.A., to offer athletes loans at “competitive” rates (reportedly 1.5% over prime) to help them pay ESDI premiums. The loans are repayable when the player signs a professional contract, receives a payout following total disability or simply stops playing college football. So basically, Bridgewater and Lee will pay back $100,000 to $120,000 in premiums out of their rookie contracts.

This is really a pretty good deal for college athletes. The premiums are high but the loan program means that the student athletes only have to come up with about $500 per $1 million in coverage to pay the loan interest.

http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/2013/manziel-clowney-insurance-policies/

Last edited:

BP putting the Hypesman trophy out there! Love it!

This was the most encouraging news of the day for me. I've long thought that Bo needs to do a better job pushing his players for awards and getting their names out there. This is a step in the right direction IMO.

Also:

:banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:

Chris Landry was on a radio show talking about draft grades a few weeks ago, and he mentioned that the grades the players are given are not specific to round. It is more of a general sense for whether they are likely to be taken early, middle, late or not at all.

was it released what round draft grade AA received?

This got me thinking about how the player injury insurance policies work. Apparently, it's called ESDI for “exceptional student-athlete disability insurance” and the NCAA has offered a program since 1990. The max policy through the NCAA's program is $5 million, but players can go outside the program for more. Bridgewater and Marquise Lee had $10 million policies in place this year.

The players obviously must pay the ESDI premiums. For every million dollars in coverage, ESDI premiums can run $10,000-$12,000. The NCAA has an arrangement with U.S. Bank, N.A., to offer athletes loans at “competitive” rates (reportedly 1.5% over prime) to help them pay ESDI premiums. The loans are repayable when the player signs a professional contract, receives a payout following total disability or simply stops playing college football. So basically, Bridgewater and Lee will pay back $100,000 to $120,000 in premiums out of their rookie contracts.

This is really a pretty good deal for college athletes. The premiums are high but the loan program means that the student athletes only have to come up with about $500 per $1 million in coverage to pay the loan interest.

http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/2013/manziel-clowney-insurance-policies/

Thanks for posting that. I never knew how that worked and was worried it might not be accessible enough for these guys. That looks pretty do-able.

Buy the insurance Ameer!

Mr-Burns-Saying-Excellent.gif

After seeing what happened to Rex and Taylor past two years gotta hand it to the kid, well done

Thanks for posting that. I never knew how that worked and was worried it might not be accessible enough for these guys. That looks pretty do-able.

Buy the insurance Ameer!

Yeah, I really like that the NCAA offers loans for it, that way it is accessible to all athletes, and doesn't encourage getting "loans" from other sources.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back