• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Absolutely Clueless

Status
Not open for further replies.
At this moment I truly don't know why I am even responding to this....but
I was one who couldn't stand BO....and couldn't fathom how anyone could....BUT never accused anyone of anything. Especially on an internet forum.
Never had the derire to discuss the many warts that Riley had (to what end?).....only professed hope that with MORE he would do MORE.
He had become the HC at Nebraska..........support was all we could do. Right? Bitching about it would have, and didn't do any good.

So what if we supported Mike Riley............c'mon man.
CO4NU. If you never accused anyone of anything and weren't one of the ones doing the "You are a bad fan" gig at certain posters than I hardly feel you need to feel apologetic for your actions. Most of this argument wouldn't apply to you but for many it does.

If you are truly (only the person knows) a Nebraska fan.....you can't be a bad fan.

The shifting of the goal posts is referencing the defense of the Riley fanatics. For over two years they used a lot of sunshine and excuses to disclaim any of the evidence the Riley critics presented. Now they are shifting to the whole "I was just supporting Riley" defense.

Go find my sunshine and excuses. About the best you'll get is "the well was poisoned in year one" - which it was to a degree - and "Corvallis is a lot harder to have sustained success at than Lincoln." Neither of those things is false.

Exactly. You made that obvious to everyone for many years prior to his firing. I'm simply pointing out that you were just as extreme as HIO. If you don't realize that and aren't able to admit that, I don't know what to say. :(

Also one who was very PRO BO on the day of his hiring..........then he opened his mouth and it began to wane.

I'm going to bow out for a bit, but I hope the thread doesn't get locked. There has been no personal attacks, and it's an interesting discussion comparing where people were, where they are, and where they think will be.

Be nice! :)

The only person on here claiming Riley was great is the one who refers to himself as the greatest fan. I've consistently said he's a good coach and a good man. I've also acknowledged that he failed here. All of those things are true and in the end it is his failing that will get him fired. The rest of your post is obviously directed at me so if you're going to go there at least get your poop in a group. You guys playing the victim card is cute and all, but you don't get to make stuff up to support it.

I absolutely disagree with your first statement. There were many posters who either called him or implied that he was great. They excused everything away and generally blamed the players through lack of talent or not the right fit. They constantly pumped the sunshine and contradicted and ridiculed posters who did say something negative. Now was it everyone? Absolutely not. But if you don't see that thinking back on the board for the last 2 years than it really calls into question your credibility which I have never doubted until this very moment.

I realize you are now understanding and acknowledging that he failed here and that it is his own doing. However that has been a recent admission. I think you are having selective memory of your position and responses to individuals the first two seasons. As for making stuff up to support our position. Well I'm sorry. You have been on the side that has been doing that for 2 1/2 years and been wrong so you don't get to play that card for a little while. At least now with any credibility.

I absolutely disagree with your first statement. There were many posters who either called him or implied that he was great. They excused everything away and generally blamed the players through lack of talent or not the right fit. They constantly pumped the sunshine and contradicted and ridiculed posters who did say something negative. Now was it everyone? Absolutely not. But if you don't see that thinking back on the board for the last 2 years than it really calls into question your credibility which I have never doubted until this very moment.

I realize you are now understanding and acknowledging that he failed here and that it is his own doing. However that has been a recent admission. I think you are having selective memory of your position and responses to individuals the first two seasons. As for making stuff up to support our position. Well I'm sorry. You have been on the side that has been doing that for 2 1/2 years and been wrong so you don't get to play that card for a little while. At least now with any credibility.

It should be easy to prove your hypothesis. So do it.

Only thing I wanted AND want to see is support for whomever the HC at Nebraska is or will be.

I guess I'm going to be on the fence until I see who the hire is. If I have to goggle to see who the next coach is and find out he has been around forever with little or nothing to show for it......I'm going to have some real concerns that we are failing the players, the program and the fans again. If you want to give it support than fine. Just don't bitch at me for expressing my concerns. Which as it sounds......you aren't one to do that.

I'm going to bow out for a bit, but I hope the thread doesn't get locked. There has been no personal attacks, and it's an interesting discussion comparing where people were, where they are, and where they think will be.

Be nice! :)

Yea I'm bowing out for a bit too........I'm gonna go track flights to Orlando. :thumbsup:

Some of us have a totally different opinion of what success is. His accomplishments at successful programs would have got him fired a half dozen different times at Oregon State.

Taking a team that never won more than three games the 30+ years before his arrival to records of 9 and 10 wins is success. Taking OSU that only played in 6 bowl games with the latest in 1965 to 11 bowl games in 13 years is success. Yes, I guess we disagree on what success is.

C

I doubt this comes to end in two weeks. At least not with you two. I'll be the first to admit that HIO has been loud and consistent in his negative messages about MR. And you know why? Because he's been carrying the message for many posters that were unwilling to jump into the fire and expose themselves to the kickback he received. I'm on three boards and this board has a unique character about it more so than any other. It has been an extreme Pro-Riley board. 90% of the posts regarding coaching staff were pro-Riley. And even though the individual that carried most of that other 10% was correct he is still getting beat up.

Right now you are seeing the effects. The dynamics of this board have changed so much in the last 3 weeks that many posters who have refrained from posting are suddenly excited about participating in the discussions and for the future of Nebraska football. I have never seen so many posters I barely recognize expressing their displeasure of this staff. For the first time in 3 years they are getting to express their feelings without getting beat up. I'm in a Lincoln Haymarket business that gives me the opportunity to talk to a lot of Husker fans. I can tell you without a doubt the level of acceptance towards Riley the last three years has not even been close to what it is on this forum. HIO would be on the extreme side of critical but he is much closer to the average fan. That is why we are seeing the average fan start posting again.

I'm not sure that these wounds will ever heal between HIO or not but nobody can ever truthfully argue he didn't have this called from the beginning.

You post like those critical of MR are innocent realists that were shouted down when reality is they replied in the same manner toward the positive posters. Let's not pretend that it was a one way street.

C

The appearance of vindictiveness isn't about supporting the head coach. Its about the treatment towards anyone that called this train wreck early on. And now their attempts to play it off as "just supporting the coach". Many on here have changed the goal posts. They went from saying how great Riley was and criticizing anyone who didn't believe them to all of a sudden saying.....well it turned out he couldn't make it work but the critics still deserved it because we were just supporting our coach.

What about the treatment of the positive posters by those constantly berating MR and staff? You act like it only came from one side but the vitriol came from those with your stance as well. Climb down off the cross.

C

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back