• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

A look at Frost's nine wins in two years

So you are saying every loss is the same....blowout or last second field goal? Good to know.
I think I would interpret it to mean that a half dozen 'close' games where you come up the loser in every instance means three years in a row where we aren't bowling.

Are you saying that you don't want Nebraska to go bowling or that you don't care if Nebraska gets an extra 15 practices? Good to know.

But what if 5 of those losses were by under a TD? And we lost to the best team on our schedule by 10 points? Why would you have issues with it?

Because three years in there shouldn't be five teams on the schedule that are a touchdown better than Nebraska. This staff has to find a way to win close games against teams with less talent. That will be at least five or six teams on the schedule.

Because three years in there shouldn't be five teams on the schedule that are a touchdown better than Nebraska. This staff has to find a way to win close games against teams with less talent. That will be at least five or six teams on the schedule.
Fair enough, but I think the main issue is that the team is not prepared mentally to win. More often than not, we choke away these close games. Until we address that issue, we will continue to lose close ones, even when we are more talented.

I know most don't consider BP human, but if he isn't actually a little pleased and feeling validated he truly wouldn't be human. But then again, i'm starting to wonder if anyone can really maintain the support of NU fans. If the Huskers win 8, they should have won 10. If they win 10, they should have lost closer games. If they win 5, they should have won the close games....good grief Charlie Brown.
Please! 90k fans and sell out games says our coaches have enjoyed a heck of a lot of support. What's annoying is the constant attacking of Husker fans. I simply don't get it because if we're supposed to be happy with 5 wins and no bowl what's next? Constant adoration for losing football the past 3 years? Should fans be thrilled with that record for a once proud program?

Frost wasn't hired for 7 years and 35 million to produce losing seasons. Now will he get things turned around and start producing some winning football teams? At this point in time I believe it's a legitimate subject for discussion because the jury is still out imo.

Last edited:
Fair enough, but I think the main issue is that the team is not prepared mentally to win. More often than not, we choke away these close games. Until we address that issue, we will continue to lose close ones, even when we are more talented.

This is true to an extent. We've seen it played out over and over for the last three years to an extreme and for the last decade or more to a lesser extent. Being prepared to win in many cases means being willing to do what it takes to win both on the field and off, in season and out of season. If that isn't 'fixed' enough to play winning football by year three.....we're in trouble, IMO.

This is my viewpoint. Sucks that we lost a bunch of games that we should have won (Purdue and Colorado this year), but it's telling that we've played excellent games against teams that clearly have more talent ON THE FIELD (not in recruiting stars) than we have at the moment. Even if we've lost, it's an indication of where we are headed.

There's a lot to critique, no doubt, but there isn't an enormous gap at this point. We just need more maturity, more depth, and consistency. A key playmaker or two on both sides of the ball would go a long way also
Agreed, I thought the NW game would be a confidence boost in how to win a close game...but right now Frost is dealing with a bunch of players that don't know how to win....plain and simple....im not making any excuses for some of the mismanagement during games or the play calling...but you can only coach so much...players have to execute....as much as want to gripe about coach Chinander….some of these games i.e. Colorado...he had the right scheme called and guys didn't execute...it comes down to player execution....(and player development) but that's a whole other rant

This has sadly been true since Black Friday 2001. We've had epic meltdowns ever since that game, no matter who the coach was.

Riley took a team that had averaged over 9 wins per season the previous 7 years and turned it into a reflection of himself: a soft loser.

The task Frost inherited is dramatically different than what Riley inherited. Your comparison is patently ridiculous.
This past season should end the" Blame Riley for Everything" narrative. As N2FL points out in his recent article: It’s an interesting angle to use on his (Frost's) part, considering the massive roster overhaul he has conducted. Looking at the numbers, 39 of 83 scholarship players (47%) and 85 of 154 players overall (55%) are in their first or second years. Those are Frost’s guys. With the graduation of “Riley Guys” like Lamar Jackson, Mohamed Barry, Carlos Davis, Khalil Davis, Alex Davis and Eric Lee, there won’t be many guys left contributing who aren’t Frost recruits. Heading into Year 3, I would think Frost will stop referencing the team’s lack of by-in, because at that point, it’ll be a direct reflection of his own leadership.

The bar for Frost next year is incredibly low. Get to a bowl game. If he doesn't get his third year team to a bowl game it will be interesting to see how he reacts.

N2FL article: https://www.huskermax.com/pernell-frost-nebraska-trying-to-finish-strong-class/

Last edited:
This past season should end the" Blame Riley for Everything" narrative. As N2FL points out in his recent article: It’s an interesting angle to use on his (Frost's) part, considering the massive roster overhaul he has conducted. Looking at the numbers, 39 of 83 scholarship players (47%) and 85 of 154 players overall (55%) are in their first or second years. Those are Frost’s guys. With the graduation of “Riley Guys” like Lamar Jackson, Mohamed Barry, Carlos Davis, Khalil Davis, Alex Davis and Eric Lee, there won’t be many guys left contributing who aren’t Frost recruits. Heading into Year 3, I would think Frost will stop referencing the team’s lack of by-in, because at that point, it’ll be a direct reflection of his own leadership.

The bar for Frost next year is incredibly low. Get to a bowl game. If he doesn't get his third year team to a bowl game it will be interesting to see how he reacts.

N2FL article: https://www.huskermax.com/pernell-frost-nebraska-trying-to-finish-strong-class/
Without some major game mismanagement this season we'd be going to a bowl right now imo.

Last edited:
Without some major game mismanagement this season we'd be going to a bowl right now imo.
That is very possibly true. But up until now the excuse has been lack of talent, lack of buy-in and the cultural wasteland left in the wake of the Mike Riley era.

As N2FL correctly points out, 55% of the 2019 roster are Frost guys, and that percentage will increase after the next batch of walk-ons and scholarship guys arrive on campus in 2020. If we don't make a bowl game it won't be because of what Mike Riley did or left behind. It is truly the Scott Frost show going forward.

Please! 90k fans and sell out games says our coaches have enjoyed a heck of a lot of support. What's annoying is the constant attacking of Husker fans. I simply don't get it because if we're supposed to be happy with 5 wins and no bowl what's next? Constant adoration for losing football the past 3 years? Should fans be thrilled with that record for a once proud program?

Frost wasn't hired for 7 years and 35 million to produce losing seasons. Now will he get things turned around and start producing some winning football teams? At this point in time I believe it's a legitimate subject for discussion because the jury is still out imo.

Actually sell out games indicates support of the players and the team, not necessarily the coach. The streak surviving the MR years is proof of that.

I don't think fans have to be thrilled with the record to support the coaches and once again, what SF is paid is irrelevant to supporting the staff. It isn't like you or anyone on the board would be getting a cut of the 1-2 million saved if some unknown person had been hired as HC. As you point out, SF was hired for 7 seasons...if he has 7 losing seasons, then obviously he wouldn't have done what he was hired to do.

I might add, complaining about the job SF is doing while using a metric of "3 losing seasons" is a little misleading. But, by all means, continue to blame the current staff for the complete failures of the previous one.

I think I would interpret it to mean that a half dozen 'close' games where you come up the loser in every instance means three years in a row where we aren't bowling.

Are you saying that you don't want Nebraska to go bowling or that you don't care if Nebraska gets an extra 15 practices? Good to know.

Who said anything about what i want regarding bowl games or practices? Also, one of those "three years in a row" is not the responsibility of anyone still at NU. There was a huge segment of the fan base that condemned BP for getting blown out in games, even though his teams won 9-10 games and DID go to bowl games. So, now it appears the narrative has changed....losing close games isn't acceptable either. So, basically, as i have surmised in other threads, a HC at NU better win about 100% of the games played in order to come close to 100% support.

Who said anything about what i want regarding bowl games or practices? Also, one of those "three years in a row" is not the responsibility of anyone still at NU. There was a huge segment of the fan base that condemned BP for getting blown out in games, even though his teams won 9-10 games and DID go to bowl games. So, now it appears the narrative has changed....losing close games isn't acceptable either. So, basically, as i have surmised in other threads, a HC at NU better win about 100% of the games played in order to come close to 100% support.
Time and multiple comments can make it hard to follow. This is the comment of yours I responded to: "So you are saying every loss is the same....blowout or last second field goal? Good to know."

I was matching your snark with my snark.

In reply to your current comment, yes, win them all by 40 and we are good. :Hooray:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back