• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

A look at Frost's nine wins in two years

OMG, are you just trying to be argumentative? I'm glad you feel the need to defend MR and what he did in his time at Nebraska. I don't understand it, but hey, if you feel that way go for it. I think the place MR put the NU football program in his time as a LOT to do with the past two years. Winning is a habit. Losing is a habit. Winning habits are a habit. MR established a LOT of habits which have taken and will take time to change. Soft, entitled, losing football being near the top of the list. As for the other specifics, i'll put those in red.

Go tell the Davis twins, Mo Barry, Lamar, JD, etc... that they are all soft and entitled. I bet all the starters will disagree that this seasons losing record is on MR.

C

Go tell the Davis twins, Mo Barry, Lamar, JD, etc... that they are all soft and entitled. I bet all the starters will disagree that this seasons losing record is on MR.

C
I'm amazed how some people want to pin almost this entire lousy season on MR. Most agree MR wasn't a a real good coach but in 2016 we went 9-4 and made a bowl game. IMO this years team should have made a bowl with better game day coaching decisions. Not sure what MR had to do with those poor coaching decisions except he's an easy target to blame excusing the disaster we had this season.

Frost may well be the answer to returning Nebraska football to winning ways but for now they have a lot of issues to get fixed. Winning programs START with good coaching and I hope that's going to appear in 2020. MR needs to be put in the rearview mirror because that excuse is wearing very thin for most Husker fans imo.

Last edited:
I'm amazed how some people want to pin almost this entire lousy season on MR. Most agree MR wasn't a a real good coach but in 2016 we went 9-4 and made a bowl game. IMO this years team should have made a bowl with better game day coaching decisions. Not sure what MR had to do with those poor coaching decisions except he's an easy target to blame excusing the disaster we had this season.

Frost may well be the answer to returning Nebraska football to winning ways but for now they have a lot of issues to get fixed. Winning programs START with good coaching and I hope that's going to appear in 2020. MR needs to be put in the rearview mirror because that excuse is wearing very thin for most Husker fans imo.

I will give MR some blame for last year but this year with the roster flip and what we saw from SF players along with some poor game day decisions is all on SF. Just like MR struggled his first year due to the split locker room in part of a toxic exit interview by Bo to his players but MR's 4-8 is all his.

C

I will give MR some blame for last year but this year with the roster flip and what we saw from SF players along with some poor game day decisions is all on SF. Just like MR struggled his first year due to the split locker room in part of a toxic exit interview by Bo to his players but MR's 4-8 is all his.

C

Riley's final season will always be his.

That said, anyone who believed that Eichorst wasn't fired and Moos hired early in the 2017 season to find a replacement for Riley is fooling themselves. Riley's days were numbered from the start -- considering no less than half of Nebraska fans didn't want him in the first place. Then once he lost to Northern Illinois and Moos was brought aboard, his time clock was ticking at a rapid pace. No one is going to have a successful season with that lack of support. Heck, there was more talk about "can we get Frost" during that season than anything else. It was a prolonged funeral. I said at the time, either you fire Eichorst prior to the season or after the season -- doing so three games into the season was a tremendous distraction -- and not only unfair to Mike Riley -- but also to every player on that team. Moos was brought aboard to clean house. Good luck having a successful football season with that hovering over you.

To add, Riley allowing Eichorst to hire Bob Diaco was equal part to the end. If Mike Riley had enough backbone to prevent that insane hire, who knows what would have happened.

All that being said, there's not a Nebraska fan anywhere who wouldn't have chosen Frost over Riley in less than a second. It's just a shame that thus far Frost is a downgrade.

Riley's final season will always be his.

That said, anyone who believed that Eichorst wasn't fired and Moos hired early in the 2017 season to find a replacement for Riley is fooling themselves. Riley's days were numbered from the start -- considering no less than half of Nebraska fans didn't want him in the first place. Then once he lost to Northern Illinois and Moos was brought aboard, his time clock was ticking at a rapid pace. No one is going to have a successful season with that lack of support. Heck, there was more talk about "can we get Frost" during that season than anything else. It was a prolonged funeral. I said at the time, either you fire Eichorst prior to the season or after the season -- doing so three games into the season was a tremendous distraction -- and not only unfair to Mike Riley -- but also to every player on that team. Moos was brought aboard to clean house. Good luck having a successful football season with that hovering over you.

To add, Riley allowing Eichorst to hire Bob Diaco was equal part to the end. If Mike Riley had enough backbone to prevent that insane hire, who knows what would have happened.

All that being said, there's not a Nebraska fan anywhere who wouldn't have chosen Frost over Riley in less than a second. It's just a shame that thus far Frost is a downgrade.

MR had Diaco foisted on him and that sealed his demise. Had Banker been retained and MR made the Read change along with another under producing assistant, that year turns out different. I have no doubt that SF will eventually become a trained monkey.

One thing I will point out, Banker's defense out performed what Chin's has fielded so far.

C

Last edited:
MR had Diaco foisted on him and that sealed his demise. Had Banker been retained and MR made the Read change along with another under producing assistant, that year turns out different. I have no doubt that SF will eventually become a trained monkey.

One thing I will point out, Banker's defense out performed what Chin's has fielded so far.

C

I used to have the numbers dialed up, but Banker's defenses were statistically better in the Big Ten than the Pelini era in the Big Ten.

C

You’re 100% right about Banker being better than what we’ve seen from Chin.

Gotta fix that.

You’re 100% right about Banker being better than what we’ve seen from Chin.

Gotta fix that.
First I agree. Second can you really fix it with Chin still the DC? I'm pretty sure Chin has got another 2 seasons without much improvement before the ax drops. Eventually SF is going to have to deal with the defensive woes but FIRST he needs to fix his offense.

First I agree. Second can you really fix it with Chin still the DC? I'm pretty sure Chin has got another 2 seasons without much improvement before the ax drops. Eventually SF is going to have to deal with the defensive woes but FIRST he needs to fix his offense.

It’s a two part question, IMO.

Can he fix their part he can control and I do think there was improvement.

He (Chin) can’t fix what the offense, even when working correctly, does to a defense. I honestly don’t think Chin is as far away as other people think. If the measuring stick is a top ten scoring defense, people are going to be disappointed.

It’s a two part question, IMO.

Can he fix their part he can control and I do think there was improvement.

He (Chin) can’t fix what the offense, even when working correctly, does to a defense. I honestly don’t think Chin is as far away as other people think. If the measuring stick is a top ten scoring defense, people are going to be disappointed.
I just don't believe Chin is the coach to produce the type of defense we need to succeed in the Big 10. We've lost to many games in the last 2 or 3 mins because the defense gave up big plays. I was really disappointed in the IA game where we played soft and allowed them to get into FG range with 40 seconds left. They played soft IMO and there wasn't a lot of effort to get after their QB. No IA shouldn't have ever got the ball back but that happens. I thought our D would play fast and agressive which hasn't happened. Our tackling has been beyond laughable at times. We've made so so running backs look like Heisman candidates.

I agree the offense hasn't helped the D nearly enough this season and put them in bad field position to many times. However I saw our defenisve players constantly out of position allowing many big plays. How many big plays were allowed because we had no edge contain? After 12 games it still wasn't fixed and allowed IA to make some huge plays. I thought there was some improvment but not nearly enough for me believe Chin can get this fixed for next season.

I hope I'm 100% wrong about him because he's not going to be anywhere anytime soon.

Last edited:

C

I think you're putting way too much faith in the coaching ability (or lack thereof) of the previous staff.

Obviously you've convinced yourself that MR was evil incarnate and the source of all that was wrong with the Huskers this season. Next season if things don't improve (like playing .500) you'll be fresh out of excuses and then what? :rolleyes:

What some people call excuses, others call facts. To simply flat out say something is an excuse seems to indicate it is something "made up" and thus, incorrect. I think there is a preponderance of evidence that says while MR isn't "evil incarnate", he is, factually, not a very good coach.

C

I think some of those players mentioned were indeed feeling some entitlement. Also, i might add, it takes more than just the starters to be successful, so to limit it to them is silly.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back