• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

A look at Frost's nine wins in two years

You're welcome to feel like you want to about the team, but I think they're in a better place than you do.

You look at how close this team was to winning more games both years and that should give you a better feeling for how close they are. Four more wins on the table for 2018 (Colorado, Troy, Northwestern and Iowa) and four more for 2019 (Colorado, Indiana, Purdue and Iowa) and Frost's record is 17-7 and we're not having this conversation, but arguing about style points. If you're looking for dominance, sure, we're years away. Winning football isn't that far off.

You're welcome.
I agree. the kicking game really killed us this year. we could easily be 2 games better than we are with just a serviceable kicking game.

Actually sell out games indicates support of the players and the team, not necessarily the coach. The streak surviving the MR years is proof of that.

I don't think fans have to be thrilled with the record to support the coaches and once again, what SF is paid is irrelevant to supporting the staff. It isn't like you or anyone on the board would be getting a cut of the 1-2 million saved if some unknown person had been hired as HC. As you point out, SF was hired for 7 seasons...if he has 7 losing seasons, then obviously he wouldn't have done what he was hired to do.

I might add, complaining about the job SF is doing while using a metric of "3 losing seasons" is a little misleading. But, by all means, continue to blame the current staff for the complete failures of the previous one.

SF will never make it to 7 losing seasons. Also this years losing season is on SF and his staff and nobody else.

C

Actually sell out games indicates support of the players and the team, not necessarily the coach. The streak surviving the MR years is proof of that.

I don't think fans have to be thrilled with the record to support the coaches and once again, what SF is paid is irrelevant to supporting the staff. It isn't like you or anyone on the board would be getting a cut of the 1-2 million saved if some unknown person had been hired as HC. As you point out, SF was hired for 7 seasons...if he has 7 losing seasons, then obviously he wouldn't have done what he was hired to do.

I might add, complaining about the job SF is doing while using a metric of "3 losing seasons" is a little misleading. But, by all means, continue to blame the current staff for the complete failures of the previous one.
Actually being about the 15th highest paid coach in college football is relevant imo. If all we can expect are 4 or 5 win seasons then we should have kept MR and saved the money. We've had 3 losing seasons in a row but I was talking about the general malaise of the program. However you want to slice it having consistent sell outs is a show of support for the team which obviously includes the coaches.

If we aren't going to hold this staff responsible for the losses who would you suggest is responsible? No one? Just happens? So Nebraska pays millions of dollars to a coaching staff yet they aren't responsible for the past 2 miserable seasons. Next season the MR excuse is going to be wearing extremely thin as Frost will have the majority of "HIS" players in place. If Frost has continious losing season for 6 or 7 years then it's on the admin for not making changes. I believe 4 years is enough time to at least show a lot of progress. I hope the program turns it around but for now the people most responsible for the past 2 seasons has to be this coaching staff imo.

Last edited:
Actually being about the 15th highest paid coach in college football is relevant imo. If all we can expect are 4 or 5 win seasons then we should have kept MR and saved the money. We've had 3 losing seasons in a row but I was talking about the general malaise of the program. However you want to slice it having consistent sell outs is a show of support for the team which obviously includes the coaches.

If we aren't going to hold this staff responsible for the losses who would you suggest is responsible? No one? Just happens? So Nebraska pays millions of dollars to a coaching staff yet they aren't responsible for the past 2 miserable seasons. Next season the MR excuse is going to be wearing extremely thin as Frost will have the majority of "HIS" players in place. If Frost has continious losing season for 6 or 7 years then it's on the admin for not making changes. I believe 4 years is enough time to at least show a lot of progress. I hope the program turns it around but for now the people most responsible for the past 2 seasons has to be this coaching staff imo.

Not their first season. That was on the previous disaster. This season is, however.

So you see no issues with the program SF inherited other than the W-L record? Once the 2017 season ended, there was some magic "reset" and everything was wonderful and amazing at NU again? In that case, yes, SF and staff are not doing very well.

People have to realize the money SF makes is what was needed to get this staff here. Sure, another coach could have been hired for less. Would that coach have had near universal support and what was thought to be the time to fix the program. (Not the team wins, but fix THE PROGRAM!) All that money that could have been saved by keeping MR, where would you propose it should have been spent to fix the program and give any fan hope for the future other than the way it was?? I would like you to propose the solutions that would have been better.

So you see no issues with the program SF inherited other than the W-L record? Once the 2017 season ended, there was some magic "reset" and everything was wonderful and amazing at NU again? In that case, yes, SF and staff are not doing very well.

People have to realize the money SF makes is what was needed to get this staff here. Sure, another coach could have been hired for less. Would that coach have had near universal support and what was thought to be the time to fix the program. (Not the team wins, but fix THE PROGRAM!) All that money that could have been saved by keeping MR, where would you propose it should have been spent to fix the program and give any fan hope for the future other than the way it was?? I would like you to propose the solutions that would have been better.
You never answered my question which was who is responsible for the past 2 lousy seasons? Bo took over a program that had a gone 5-7 the previous year (07) that was supposed to be in bad shape? Bo won 9 games in 08 yet BC was supposed to be a terrible coach? So you really still believe MR is responsible for this years disaster? Frost didn't need to be paid 5 million a year to get his staff here because they don't receive any part of his salary. That 5 million was to help insure he took the position and it had nothing to do with what his coaching staff is paid.

If you want to cling to the fantasy this lousy season is almost all on Mike be my guest. There were lots of reasons why this team melted down but very few of them involve MR imo.

Last edited:

More than somewhat a dumpster fire. There wasn't a worst situation to walk into as a coach in the past five years than that job at Baylor.

The only big upside is the money and internal support for the program. For a private school, they’re committed to being competitive.

You never answered my question which was who is responsible for the past 2 lousy seasons? Bo took over a program that had a gone 5-7 the previous year (07) that was supposed to be in bad shape? Bo won 9 games in 08 yet BC was supposed to be a terrible coach? Bo winning 9 games the next year should confirm BC was a terrible head coach. BP is supposed to be the bad coach according to most, yet he was able to win 9 games when BC won 5 with many of the same guys.....i don't see that as having any affect on MR/SF teams, but it does confirm BC was a bad coach. So you really still believe MR is responsible for this years disaster? Frost didn't need to be paid 5 million a year to get his staff here because they don't receive any part of his salary. So you think his staff comes here without SF?? That 5 million got SF to Lincoln. Thus, it got the staff here. You ignored the fact that i agree another coach could have been hired cheaper. Who do you think that would have been that would have satisfied the masses of Husker Nation if SF went to Florida?? That 5 million was to help insure he took the position and it had nothing to do with what his coaching staff is paid.

If you want to cling to the fantasy this lousy season is almost all on Mike be my guest. There have been numerous, no, countless articles, quotes, etc from sources close to the NU program (the AD, former players, etc) that have said the mess inherited by SF was much, much worse than almost anyone knew. Who created that mess? Who gets to say how long is too long to fix it? In the end, one person, and he just gave the SF an extension because of where the program was in 2017, not where it is now. There were lots of reasons why this team melted down but very few of them involve MR imo.

OMG, are you just trying to be argumentative? I'm glad you feel the need to defend MR and what he did in his time at Nebraska. I don't understand it, but hey, if you feel that way go for it. I think the place MR put the NU football program in his time as a LOT to do with the past two years. Winning is a habit. Losing is a habit. Winning habits are a habit. MR established a LOT of habits which have taken and will take time to change. Soft, entitled, losing football being near the top of the list. As for the other specifics, i'll put those in red.

OMG, are you just trying to be argumentative? I'm glad you feel the need to defend MR and what he did in his time at Nebraska. I don't understand it, but hey, if you feel that way go for it. I think the place MR put the NU football program in his time as a LOT to do with the past two years. Winning is a habit. Losing is a habit. Winning habits are a habit. MR established a LOT of habits which have taken and will take time to change. Soft, entitled, losing football being near the top of the list. As for the other specifics, i'll put those in red.
Obviously you've convinced yourself that MR was evil incarnate and the source of all that was wrong with the Huskers this season. Next season if things don't improve (like playing .500) you'll be fresh out of excuses and then what? :rolleyes:

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back