• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

6 wins?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you agree with this formula?

DISAPPOINTMENT = EXPECTATIONS - ACTUAL RESULTS​

How does having unrealistic expectations help anybody, including yourself? You can get high on hallucinations of grandeur in the summer ... just to grow bitter in the fall because it doesn't happen.

For the record, I have said that I think that we have a range of possible outcomes that--apart from a key injury (meaning Martinez, Mo Barry, or an OT)--we will finish somewhere between 6-6 and 10-2, with 8-9 wins being the most likely. This isn't about what I'm predicting though. This is an entire b!tch thread about the AD saying that a 6-win season is improvement.

As for Kool-Aid for us fans? Why not set lofty goals? You really think fans are going to dancing in the aisle if we only win 6 games? I'd bet most fans would be pretty disappointed but that's a guess on my part. I would personally be disappointed with a 6 win season because I believe we're a more talented team then most in our division. We have a very favorable schedule and one of the better QB's in college football. So yea I believe 6 wins is the bottom floor but the season will not be judged much of a success imo if that happens.

How has that mindset worked out for you over the past couple of decades? Have you done a lot of "dancing in the aisles" over Nebraska football? or have you repeatedly expected them to do better than they have, only to be disappointed at the actual results, yet still able to delude yourself yet again the following year? That seems to be what some folks on here are living for: the summer delusion. I'd rather be realistic about what's going to happen in the fall so that I have some opportunity available to be actually pleased with the results. I'm not saying that we're going to ONLY win 6 games--which we haven't done in the regular season for 3 of the past 4 years--I'm saying that it's better to set the expectations at that level than to set yourself up for unrealistic expectations and yet more bitter disappointment.

No one of sane mind is going to go after Frost should he only wins 6 but there will be a lot of very disappointed Husker fans imo. I sure hope most Huskers fans haven't regressed to the point of thinking 6 wins is a pretty good season........ it's not imo!

"Sane mind," you say. Interesting choice of words. Go back and read some of the idiotic comments posted in the heat of the first 6 games of the year, who now come here and act like they're the voice of reason and circumspection. If you're not "sane" when it matters, you're not really sane. A lot of folks, right now, are pretending to be sane when their comments last fall say otherwise.

Do you agree with this formula?

DISAPPOINTMENT = EXPECTATIONS - ACTUAL RESULTS​

How does having unrealistic expectations help anybody, including yourself? You can get high on hallucinations of grandeur in the summer ... just to grow bitter in the fall because it doesn't happen.

For the record, I have said that I think that we have a range of possible outcomes that--apart from a key injury (meaning Martinez, Mo Barry, or an OT)--we will finish somewhere between 6-6 and 10-2, with 8-9 wins being the most likely. This isn't about what I'm predicting though. This is an entire b!tch thread about the AD saying that a 6-win season is improvement.

How has that mindset worked out for you over the past couple of decades? Have you done a lot of "dancing in the aisles" over Nebraska football? or have you repeatedly expected them to do better than they have, only to be disappointed at the actual results, yet still able to delude yourself yet again the following year? That seems to be what some folks on here are living for: the summer delusion. I'd rather be realistic about what's going to happen in the fall so that I have some opportunity available to be actually pleased with the results. I'm not saying that we're going to ONLY win 6 games--which we haven't done in the regular season for 3 of the past 4 years--I'm saying that it's better to set the expectations at that level than to set yourself up for unrealistic expectations and yet more bitter disappointment.

"Sane mind," you say. Interesting choice of words. Go back and read some of the idiotic comments posted in the heat of the first 6 games of the year, who now come here and act like they're the voice of reason and circumspection. If you're not "sane" when it matters, you're not really sane. A lot of folks, right now, are pretending to be sane when their comments last fall say otherwise.
Very simple.. I just said personally I will not be pleased with a 6 win season, end of story. If that works for other people that's fine! I've always set lofty goals and high standards for myself and those that worked for me. As a LEO and in my military career I've always believed low expectations usually generate low or poor results. Expect the best from myself and those I'm charged with leading generally yields better results. That's been been my experience in life.

As for the past couple of decades I've expected better results then what the program has delivered. I'm also a product of the 70's 80's and 90's when it comes to Husker football and therefore a 6 win season will ALWAYS and FOREVER not be acceptable to me. When we fail (we've done that a lot) recently then I hope for change such as we just got with the hiring of coach Frost.

We have ZERO impact what this team will ultimately accomplish this season but I believe we have a pretty high ceiling. Won't be long and we'll be able to see exactly what's been accomplished in the off season. I'm predicting a 8 or 9 win regular season. Anything less I'll be disappointed but always hopeful once again when the next season rolls around.........

I don’t think it’s unreasonable to expect nine wins. No excuses. To get that is not a fireable offense, but would be a failure from our team and coaching staff.

Very simple.. I just said personally I will not be pleased with a 6 win season, end of story. If that works for other people that's fine! I've always set lofty goals and high standards for myself and those that worked for me. As a LEO and in my military career I've always believed low expectations usually generate low or poor results. Expect the best from myself and those I'm charged with leading generally yields better results. That's been been my experience in life.

As for the past couple of decades I've expected better results then what the program has delivered. I'm also a product of the 70's 80's and 90's when it comes to Husker football and therefore a 6 win season will ALWAYS and FOREVER not be acceptable to me. When we fail (we've done that a lot) recently then I hope for change such as we just got with the hiring of coach Frost.

We have ZERO impact what this team will ultimately accomplish this season but I believe we have a pretty high ceiling. Won't be long and we'll be able to see exactly what's been accomplished in the off season. I'm predicting a 8 or 9 win regular season. Anything less I'll be disappointed but always hopeful once again when the next season rolls around.........
Everything that you said has to do with those in supervisory roles directly over the people whose performance matters: that's NOT us. FROST needs to have high expectations of his players, and that needs to be communicated to them constantly in positive, measureable, achievable ways, but that has ZERO to do with what the fans should "expect."

Take your law enforcement background and think of it this way: While it's great and admirable that YOU had high expectations for those under you, would it have helped your cause if the people in your community expected you to be perfect? If they thought that you had no reason for ever making a mistake, would that help your cause? Any unsolved crime is on your head. Anybody found innocent in court is on your head. Hey, they should have high expectations, right?

You're conflating expectations from two different groups of people, and even in the example you used, that still would be bad.

More than likely trying to put the breaks on all of the hype but if there are only six wins this season he’s going to answer a few questions.

Bingo! The hype train is running on afterburner right now. That’s what off seasons are for. But I hope people wait for a few games to be played before they start declaring wins and losses.

What questions do you suggest Moos must answer if the team wins 6-7 wins after two straight 4-8 seasons? Will fans be starting to talk about “firing the whole lot” because two years is too long for a total rebuild of a program?

I would be disappointed as well as surprised if we only win six games. But I am not taking it for granted or thinking that Nebraska is entitled to those wins. Key players have to stay healthy and the team as a whole must show improvement in strength and understanding of the schemes. We won’t be able to assess those things until game time.

How about just saying bowl eligibility without attaching any number? Obviously he can't toss out numbers like 8, 9 or 10 games for many valid reasons. BTW I really don't care what Moos says about this because he has a lot of political issues to consider that we fans don't.

As for Kool-Aid for us fans? Why not set lofty goals? You really think fans are going to dancing in the aisle if we only win 6 games? I'd bet most fans would be pretty disappointed but that's a guess on my part. I would personally be disappointed with a 6 win season because I believe we're a more talented team then most in our division. We have a very favorable schedule and one of the better QB's in college football. So yea I believe 6 wins is the bottom floor but the season will not be judged much of a success imo if that happens.

No one of sane mind is going to go after Frost should he only wins 6 but there will be a lot of very disappointed Husker fans imo. I sure hope most Huskers fans haven't regressed to the point of thinking 6 wins is a pretty good season........ it's not imo!

(1). The team goals are to win every game.

(2). Not all Husker fans are sane. The one’s that are not sane are very, very loud.

(3). It’s all relative. If you are an organization that made poor decisions and destroyed your program, resulting in back to back 4-8 seasons, winning 6 games is a step in the right direction. Disappointing? Of course. But some fans have rightfully recalibrated their expectations and are not necessarily looking for a quick fix that meets an entitlement mentality. They want to rebuild the program to one that is consistently competitive, year after year. To use a 90’s moniker, we want to get to a place where we “reload” each year, not rebuild.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back