• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

4 Star DT Nash Hutmacher Is N (Top 247)

If asking a kid to lose 30+ pounds immediately following football - basically in less than a month while missing winter conditioning - to compete in wrestling's regular season that ends in February, then asking him to regain that weight immediately following post season competition that ends in March for football's spring practices that start the same month, all while making sure to gradually increase strength and technique in the sport he actually has a scholarship to play, at a position that will require him to go against two 300+ pound grown men in the Big Ten every snap and be relied on to be effective and do his job as the most important piece of a 3-4 defense isn't enough logic for you then ignorance is truly bliss.
Wrestling is conditioning and there are DL that are less than 285 today that go up against OL that weigh more than them and do it effectively. Strength, conditioning, balance and desire-see above links!

Give the kid a chance and let him decide if he wants to play both sports!

Last edited:

Wrestling is conditioning and there are DL that are less than 285 today that go up against OL that weigh more than them and do it effectively. Strength, conditioning, balance and desire-see above links!

He's already said he wants to focus on football when he gets to NU.

He's already said he wants to focus on football when he gets to NU.
And that's fine. I just would like to think about how well he would do wrestling at NU. By the way, I looked up the weights [From team rosters] of the 1st, second, and third team All B1G DLs and this is what I found:

1st Team
L: A.J. Epenesa, Iowa..... 280 lbs
L: Joe Gaziano, Northwestern ........275 lbs
L: Chase Young, Ohio State...... 265 lbs
L: Yetur Gross-Matos, Penn State..........264 lbs

2nd Team

L: Kwity Paye, Michigan.......277 lbs
L: Kenny Willekes, Michigan State......... 260 lbs
L: Carter Coughlin, Minnesota......... 245 lbs
L: Shake Toney, Penn State...........243 lbs

3rd Team

L: Carlo Kemp, Michigan........ 286 lbs
L: Raequan Williams, Michigan State........ 303 lbs
L: Khalil Davis, Nebraska........ 315 lbs
L: Davon Hamilton, Ohio State .......... 310 lbs

ALL of the first and second team DL All B1G teams are below 285 lbs!!!!! This notion that he has to play at 310-330 lbs to be effective just got blown out of the water! All the teams these players represent have winning records [except NU]. In my mind it is all about conditioning, leverage, strength, and speed to be an effective DL which wrestling teaches. These winners tend to show that.

Last edited:
And that's fine. I just would like to think about how well he would do wrestling at NU. By the way, I looked up the weights [From team rosters] of the 1st, second, and third team All B1G DLs and this is what I found:

1st Team

2nd Team

3rd Team

ALL of the first and second team DL All B1G teams are below 285 lbs!!!!! This notion that he has to play at 310-330 lbs to be effective just got blown out of the water! All the teams these players represent have winning records [except NU]. In my mind it is all about conditioning, leverage, strength, and speed to be an effective DL which wrestling teaches. These winners tend to show that.

I think the issue is not being a defensive lineman at 285, but being a 3-4 NG. You may find a few outlier examples of 3-4 NG's that are that size and excel but it's certainly the exception. If we were running a 4-3 defense or he was projected as a 3-4 end, it would be more feasible. But that's not the case.

1st Team

2nd Team

3rd Team

Weird. It's almost like those are defensive ends.

Last edited by a moderator:

1st Team

2nd Team

3rd Team

@Bean, I find it interesting that it was at about this time a year ago that I was trying to convince you that Hutmacher was a stud wrestler, but you started out being hung up on questioning the quality of SD wrestlers and still weren't really sold on him for quite awhile as a wrestler. I was the one who was saying that we should offer to let him play both sports if that's what was necessary to land him, but he would eventually see that he couldn't go back and forth from NG to wrestling. Now you're looking at a bunch of DEs sprinkled in with some DTs from 4-man fronts, and you think that you see evidence that he could do it: it's NOT the same thing. Hutmacher could play either OL or NG, but he's NOT a DE type of athlete because he doesn't have the kind of quick first step that that position requires. He probably could play DT in a 4-man front, and that would allow him to play below 300, but 300+ is his natural playing weight (I'd guess that he'll be 325 by Labor Day without much relative effort), and we run a 3-4. He's going to need to be as big as his frame and athleticism will allow. He knows that, and that's why he's giving up wrestling after this year. It's also why he wants one more year of high school wrestling as he's on track to set some records, and it's his last hurrah.

@Bean, I find it interesting that it was at about this time a year ago that I was trying to convince you that Hutmacher was a stud wrestler, but you started out being hung up on questioning the quality of SD wrestlers and still weren't really sold on him for quite awhile as a wrestler. I was the one who was saying that we should offer to let him play both sports if that's what was necessary to land him, but he would eventually see that he couldn't go back and forth from NG to wrestling. Now you're looking at a bunch of DEs sprinkled in with some DTs from 4-man fronts, and you think that you see evidence that he could do it: it's NOT the same thing. Hutmacher could play either OL or NG, but he's NOT a DE type of athlete because he doesn't have the kind of quick first step that that position requires. He probably could play DT in a 4-man front, and that would allow him to play below 300, but 300+ is his natural playing weight (I'd guess that he'll be 325 by Labor Day without much relative effort), and we run a 3-4. He's going to need to be as big as his frame and athleticism will allow. He knows that, and that's why he's giving up wrestling after this year. It's also why he wants one more year of high school wrestling as he's on track to set some records, and it's his last hurrah.
You r correct but that was before I researched how well S.D. was doing on NCAA teams. If you recall I also posted this:
Found this and am surprised at which states are in the top:
https://www.flowrestling.org/articl...-is-the-best-at-producing-ncaa-all-americans-

"More recently, we've taken a closer look at the stats and found that, when adjusted for relative population sizes, no one does better than Iowa at producing NCAA All-Americans."

"The slim margin of victory for Iowa is also slightly misleading, as 95 percent of the points scored by South Dakotans in the last five years came from just two wrestlers, Minnesota Golden Gopher Logan Storley and Nebraska Cornhusker Robert Kokesh, who earned six All-American honors in that time period combined. "

upload_2019-2-27_16-19-54.png

Last edited:
You r correct but that was before I researched how well S.D. was dong on NCAA teams. If you recall I also posted this:
Found this and am surprised at which states are in the top:
https://www.flowrestling.org/articl...-is-the-best-at-producing-ncaa-all-americans-

"More recently, we've taken a closer look at the stats and found that, when adjusted for relative population sizes, no one does better than Iowa at producing NCAA All-Americans."

"The slim margin of victory for Iowa is also slightly misleading, as 95 percent of the points scored by South Dakotans in the last five years came from just two wrestlers, Minnesota Golden Gopher Logan Storley and Nebraska Cornhusker Robert Kokesh, who earned six All-American honors in that time period combined. "

upload_2019-2-27_16-19-54.png
Yes, I well remember that post and that conversation. I think that I sounded a bit like a douche because I didn't mean it as an insult towards you. I was just saying (sincerely) that it's interesting how things have come full-circle.

Look I am the biggest advocate for wrestling you will find. However, The NG for a 3-4 is almost always a certain body type and that body type 90% of the time is 300+#. Normally way north of 300 in the 325-350# area. If we were still running the 4-3 and we wanted him to be a DT or if they decide they want him to play DE than I would be right there with you. As it is a NG in a 3-4 will ALWAYS face a double team.

In order for you to truly dispute this you would have to find an all-American, All-pro level athlete who played NG in a 3-4 at 290# or less. Oh and BTW... Straight from the Poplar Bears mouth. He will not do both. https://www.argusleader.com/story/s...restling-south-dakota-scott-frost/1559692001/
"To be as good as I want to be," Nash explained, "I realized I had to pick just one so I can be great at that and not have to worry about doing two different things."

I think the issue is not being a defensive lineman at 285, but being a 3-4 NG. You may find a few outlier examples of 3-4 NG's that are that size and excel but it's certainly the exception. If we were running a 4-3 defense or he was projected as a 3-4 end, it would be more feasible. But that's not the case.
You beat me to it. 3-4 is the key.

What's that have to do with Hutmacher? Nebraska's gonna want him to be 315 pounds. And BTW, he has already said he won't wrestle at Nebraska for exactly the same reasons I've mentioned.

1st Team

2nd Team

3rd Team

Look at what positions those guys play. Everyone on that first and second team are defensive ends.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back