• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

4-star (#13 Ranked JUCO Player) DE Commits To Cal

Think you may have your Alex(es) confused. Alex Davis is a guy on board with the coaches but is horribly unproductive. 5 tackles this year. Five. Remember, he started over half the games and played tons of minutes. Quay Alexander has never moved the needle. All sorts of questions regarding his desire to make it at the D1 level.

Alex Davis is a guy with the athletic ability to be a productive OLB, but not the aggressive attitude and demeanor. Of course it’s too late now, but he’d have been better off as a tight end. Even with that, he would have had to learn to block. He was a project from the start, given his limited experience as a football player prior to college.

Alston got hurt midway thru the season and I hadn't heard much about him sense. Add him to the list of scholarship guys that had an injury slow them down. I do know the staff was pretty excited about him but he either was out with an injury to his leg while I was there or I didn't remember seeing him.

Hoping he can move himself into the mix at OLB tho. Wildeman is a DE, spot on.

Yikes. Not the side of the ball could really afford to lose development on either. That's Wildeman, Rogers, Alston, C. Jones, CJ Smith, and Honas from last year's class. Throw in Miles Jones and Cam Jurgens (although not a long-term injury) and that's over a third of the '18 recruiting class missing significant time. Not good at all.

Yikes. Not the side of the ball could really afford to lose development on either. That's Wildeman, Rogers, Alston, C. Jones, CJ Smith, and Honas from last year's class. Throw in Miles Jones and Cam Jurgens (although not a long-term injury) and that's over a third of the '18 recruiting class missing significant time. Not good at all.
I don’t want to doom and gloom it too much, as Alston’s certainly wasn’t as significant as the others. But we had quite a few injuries. Gonna have to have some kids step up next year.

Last edited:
I don’t want to doom and gloom it too much, as Alston’s certainly wasn’t as significant as the others. But we had quite a few injuries. Gonna have to have some kids step up next year.
Just like any other year, you have to have new people step up. Nature of college football

An optimistic way to look at this is that if most of those kids are are healthy they will have had an additional year of absorbing the culture, learning the schemes and benefitting from the strength and conditioning and nutritional programs. Theoretically that would add a significant dose of talent and depth to the program. But they need to get healthy........

An optimistic way to look at this is that if most of those kids are are healthy they will have had an additional year of absorbing the culture, learning the schemes and benefitting from the strength and conditioning and nutritional programs. Theoretically that would add a significant dose of talent and depth to the program. But they need to get healthy........
Very few teams have true and redshirt freshmen step up without needing a year or two of development. High schools generally don't have the advanced strength and conditioning programs. I thing some of the Texas schools do and I think that is why some of the Texas kids are burned out when we get here. I don't like the thought that we are lacking at a certain position until some of these kids get their shot! They have a year of development under their belts and who knows maybe they are ready to start to contribute!

Very few teams have true and redshirt freshmen step up without needing a year or two of development. High schools generally don't have the advanced strength and conditioning programs
This is so true. The recruit that most excited this board in years — Bookie — has struggled mightily in the Oklahoma defensive backfield. Doesn’t mean he won’t live up to the hype in the future.

How many of these injuries are non-contact vs. injuries from playing in a game? How many of them happened during strength and conditioning?

I became concerned about Duval's approach after two huskers ended in hospitalized not long after Duval got here and I am wondering if any of these injuries are related to the Duval program.

A big deal was made about the minimal number of injuries under Duval at UCF. Meanwhile, our guys are dropping like flies. Especially the newcomers. Something doesn't add up.

How many of these injuries are non-contact vs. injuries from playing in a game? How many of them happened during strength and conditioning?

I became concerned about Duval's approach after two huskers ended in hospitalized not long after Duval got here and I am wondering if any of these injuries are related to the Duval program.

A big deal was made about the minimal number of injuries under Duval at UCF. Meanwhile, our guys are dropping like flies. Especially the newcomers. Something doesn't add up.
Rhabdomyolysis and injuries are very, very different.

Lindsey and the other player (I forget his name) hadn’t worked out in quite some time and it showed. I’m much more concerned when rhabdo pops up and it’s 8, 9, or 10 players. That’s usually a better indicator that something is wrong.

At this point, one year into the Frost regime, it is reasonable to have questions/concerns about a few things:
The amount of injuries under Duval thus far
Chinander
Dawson and Austin recruiting prowess (they both seem like excellent coaches, though)

Rhabdomyolysis and injuries are very, very different.

Lindsey and the other player (I forget his name) hadn’t worked out in quite some time and it showed. I’m much more concerned when rhabdo pops up and it’s 8, 9, or 10 players. That’s usually a better indicator that something is wrong.
I get what you are saying about Rhabdomolysis. That was a separate incident. But I don't believe (at least I haven't read) that Rhabd is the issue with the group I listed in my original post.

It seems to me we have a very high rate of injury, especially among first year players and I am wondering if it is any way tied to the Duval S&C program. It could be an anomaly, but when a 1/3 of your first recruiting class under a new S&C coach suffers this many injuries it seems like a question that needs to be answered.

At this point, one year into the Frost regime, it is reasonable to have questions/concerns about a few things:
The amount of injuries under Duval thus far
Chinander
Dawson and Austin recruiting prowess (they both seem like excellent coaches, though)

I am more concerned about Dawson than Austin, both as a recruiter and a coach.

Austin got off to a slow start recruiting, but he landed Benhart for 2019 and appears ot have us in good position for some top 2020 guys. Austin also had the O-Line playing reasonably well for the last 8 or 9 games this year.

Dawson may be the weak link. Minimal impact/momentum with recruiting, and the D-Line was manhandled in a lot of games. While he didn't inherit a bunch of All-Americans, it seems like a group including Stoltenberg, Stille, the Davis brothers, Daniels, and Freedom (a 3-year starter) should at least be serviceable.

I get what you are saying about Rhabdomolysis. That was a separate incident. But I don't believe (at least I haven't read) that Rhabd is the issue with the group I listed in my original post.

It seems to me we have a very high rate of injury, especially among first year players and I am wondering if it is any way tied to the Duval S&C program. It could be an anomaly, but when a 1/3 of your first recruiting class under a new S&C coach suffers this many injuries it seems like a question that needs to be answered.
100% fair

I know Zach personally, I was an athlete of his previously at Nebraska, so take my bias with a grain of salt....

I’m a huge Zach fan and wish Boyd would have gotten his way when Riley was hired. However perhaps we wouldn’t be in the position we are now with Frost? Who knows...

Like an coach though, I’m a firm believer you should give everyone 3 seasons to make an impact.

How much of it is because pretty much EVERY Freshman got to play this year with the new rule change?

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back