• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

4* Carter Nelson: Commiting Noon On Wednesday 28 June

This staff is nothing like the ladt two Gene

I understand the buy in for some folks will take a while

Getting Carter Nelson a generational player in the state of NE will help

Are we a championship caliber team this year? No

This staff gets the long term picture of tebuilding this program

Hope all is well with you my fried?
I'm good, thanks!.... and this is Exactly, my point, RR... it would seem this staff has the right idea on how to get it going.... it feels different with them than the previous two. Moreover, My expectations are always high........ I am acutely aware though that this project will take time. ...baby steps.... get the right players....get the right chemistry....coach like football geniuses....

Nelson would (will?) be a huge pick up for NU for a lot of reasons. However, adding one more 4* recruit to the two or three we already have won't send us into the Top 10. There are probably about ten schools whose classes are made up solely or mostly of 4* and 5* recruits.

Indeed.

In fact, the top 9 in the 2024 rankings from 247 all have at least NINE 4-stars (not even counting 5-stars). We currently have 3. There're 14 teams currently with at least seven 4-star commits.

If you go by averages instead of totals, Nebraska is not currently in the top 25.

Last edited:
Is he a better athlete than Nebraska's current TE's? I'm not running him down, just saying that Fidone was supposed to be the best that Nebraska had recruited in decades, and Arik is supposed to be more athletic than him, so... just wondering if we should tap the brakes on the importance of signing him.
We will all get to see the unleashing of Fidone this year. I agree its been a long time coming. We are currently and have been consistent with nfl caliber tight ends for the last few years. Time to utilize the talent. Arik is still a question mark to me, hopefully it clicks for him, he is obviously physically talented.

Large number of stars represents some talent evaluators judgment on 17 year old juniors in high school.

I like to think that good as they are, they are not determinative of how good the team is going to be as these 17 year olds age.

I'm comfortable with the stress our coaches seem to be putting on athleticism and speed. That may not always translate into 4 or 5 stars. We'll see how it works out. At least they have a reasonable plan and are recruiting to it.

I for one, am really excited to see just how the kids they have recruited work out, since I have begun to believe they have a plan, I like their plan, and they are sticking to it.

Indeed.

In fact, the top 9 in the 2024 rankings from 247 all have at least NINE 4-stars (not even counting 5-stars). We currently have 3. There're 14 teams currently with at least seven 4-star commits.

If you go by averages instead of totals, Nebraska is not currently in the top 25.
Anticipate at least two more four stars from current commits, Lacy and DK.
Many of these recruits are trending up, plus we're sure to get at least one more four star.
Even so, predict low twenty finish

Large number of stars represents some talent evaluators judgment on 17 year old juniors in high school.

I like to think that good as they are, they are not determinative of how good the team is going to be as these 17 year olds age.

I'm comfortable with the stress our coaches seem to be putting on athleticism and speed. That may not always translate into 4 or 5 stars. We'll see how it works out. At least they have a reasonable plan and are recruiting to it.

I for one, am really excited to see just how the kids they have recruited work out, since I have begun to believe they have a plan, I like their plan, and they are sticking to it.
Statistically all recruits have about a 50% pan out rate, meaning they live up to or exceed their ranking. When it's a 3* that typically means they give you a year or so of solid contribution/starts but aren't a superstar. They can obviously be superstars as well. 4* means multi year starter, big contributor, a top player for you. 5* is a stud, game changing type person.

When you look at it objectively, if 50% of your recruits pan out, having more 4/5 stars means you're performing at a higher level year after year. Between us and Texas I think we both are at/near the bottom of getting the most out of our recruits per star ranking. We've been horrible.

Statistically all recruits have about a 50% pan out rate, meaning they live up to or exceed their ranking. When it's a 3* that typically means they give you a year or so of solid contribution/starts but aren't a superstar. They can obviously be superstars as well. 4* means multi year starter, big contributor, a top player for you. 5* is a stud, game changing type person.

When you look at it objectively, if 50% of your recruits pan out, having more 4/5 stars means you're performing at a higher level year after year. Between us and Texas I think we both are at/near the bottom of getting the most out of our recruits per star ranking. We've been horrible.

charles-barkley-turrible.gif

Last edited:

Partly because with our bigs, we have to start them young, too Young and too much playing time.
That can be seen as playing the athleticism out of them, or coaching it if over played.
Many of our higher ranked smaller guys ,especially at WR, have failed, which is somewhat the norm, but here we've taken that to a low level as well.
I think our DBs have been a mix of success and failure, likely better because of less coaching overturn, but also last minute/poor recruiting/development.

I am glad we have this staff

Last season, the biggest underachiever was probably Texas A&M.

247 ranked A&M's team talent at 4th in the nation last year. They went 5-7 with no bowl game.

Texas was #6 in team talent last year, went 8-5, finished #25 in the polls.

Nebraska was #24 in team talent last year, went 4-8.

Name one recruited out of HS WR that did well in the NFL.
All the coaching turnover left no one particularly having good long term recruiting chops with any WRs, most were guys other teams didn't want, or as MR would say, the bottom 10%.
TE, different story altogether.
Even at RB it didn't start coming together until our last RB coach, but too late by then.

To further your point, who do you think knows more about football? An experienced and successful college coach or someone who probably never played at a high level? Some of these "so-called" recruiting experts never played in college or if they did it was at the NAIA level. How many times have you seen an unrated player get an Alabama offer and then they are an automatic 4 star? Over the past 20 years, how many times have we seen a 6'6"-6'10" tackle be rated a 4 star and then can't block a lick. I go back to the past only to point out that our best players on the OL were never that tall, Trev Alberts wasn't rated that high (if at all, with no initial iowa offer), etc.

I'm looking forward to a staff that can develop and recruit players with heart and determination. As much as it pains me to admit, teams like iowa, Wis, K State are doing just that with lower rated recruits. I won't point out or specifically name names of recruiting writers (I won't call them experts) that cover Nebraska, but most of them are basing their ratings and opinions on height and 40 times, just like the national guys. Generally, the only recruits that consistently pan out are the 5 stars, yes I know Captain Obvious. From 4 to2 stars it's about development and finding the right kids that fit your culture and system. At this point I am cautiously optimistic that this staff is doing just that. At a minimum, they are very organized and seem to know what they want. The fact we are not scrambling close to the December signing date appears to be a great sign for us.

GBR!!

Agreed!

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back