• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

4* Carter Nelson: Commiting Noon On Wednesday 28 June

To further your point, who do you think knows more about football? An experienced and successful college coach or someone who probably never played at a high level? Some of these "so-called" recruiting experts never played in college or if they did it was at the NAIA level. How many times have you seen an unrated player get an Alabama offer and then they are an automatic 4 star? Over the past 20 years, how many times have we seen a 6'6"-6'10" tackle be rated a 4 star and then can't block a lick. I go back to the past only to point out that our best players on the OL were never that tall, Trev Alberts wasn't rated that high (if at all, with no initial iowa offer), etc.

I'm looking forward to a staff that can develop and recruit players with heart and determination. As much as it pains me to admit, teams like iowa, Wis, K State are doing just that with lower rated recruits. I won't point out or specifically name names of recruiting writers (I won't call them experts) that cover Nebraska, but most of them are basing their ratings and opinions on height and 40 times, just like the national guys. Generally, the only recruits that consistently pan out are the 5 stars, yes I know Captain Obvious. From 4 to2 stars it's about development and finding the right kids that fit your culture and system. At this point I am cautiously optimistic that this staff is doing just that. At a minimum, they are very organized and seem to know what they want. The fact we are not scrambling close to the December signing date appears to be a great sign for us.

GBR!!
I know this is off topic, but since you brought it up...
I looked up the heights of some of the best tackles in the NFL over the last several years (according to PFF) and not too many are taller than 6-6

Trent Williams: 6-5
Tyron Smith: 6-5
David Bakhtiari: 6-4
Tristan Wirfs: 6-5
Ryan Ramczyk: 6-6
Lane Johnson: 6-6

To further your point, who do you think knows more about football? An experienced and successful college coach or someone who probably never played at a high level? Some of these "so-called" recruiting experts never played in college or if they did it was at the NAIA level. How many times have you seen an unrated player get an Alabama offer and then they are an automatic 4 star? Over the past 20 years, how many times have we seen a 6'6"-6'10" tackle be rated a 4 star and then can't block a lick. I go back to the past only to point out that our best players on the OL were never that tall, Trev Alberts wasn't rated that high (if at all, with no initial iowa offer), etc.

I'm looking forward to a staff that can develop and recruit players with heart and determination. As much as it pains me to admit, teams like iowa, Wis, K State are doing just that with lower rated recruits. I won't point out or specifically name names of recruiting writers (I won't call them experts) that cover Nebraska, but most of them are basing their ratings and opinions on height and 40 times, just like the national guys. Generally, the only recruits that consistently pan out are the 5 stars, yes I know Captain Obvious. From 4 to2 stars it's about development and finding the right kids that fit your culture and system. At this point I am cautiously optimistic that this staff is doing just that. At a minimum, they are very organized and seem to know what they want. The fact we are not scrambling close to the December signing date appears to be a great sign for us.

GBR!!
Height/frame/speed are tools and clay the coaches can't mold or work with unless they're already there.
This staff looks for these things amongst others.
Those sites need what this staff has, film junkies, but those sites need many of them whereas we need to look at maybe 300-400 kids on film or at camp, those sites need to look at thousands.
So imo, it only makes sense banking on coaches who not only know what exactly they see, but take it several levels higher in knowing how and what to do to make them even better.

FB_IMG_1687970454958.jpg

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back