• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

2023 Spring Practice: Friday 21 April Coach Solich To Meet With The Media 1:45 PM

I don’t mean for this to appear negative but this was one of my concerns with this staff hiring. Not necessarily the hiring but the learning curve. Rhule said early on that he wanted high energy coaches that could learn to coach his way. Which means he has a dual role of training his coaches at the same time.
He evidently feels it is worth it so I’m on board but it might further explain his huge improvements between first and second years.

I don’t mean for this to appear negative but this was one of my concerns with this staff hiring. Not necessarily the hiring but the learning curve. Rhule said early on that he wanted high energy coaches that could learn to coach his way. Which means he has a dual role of training his coaches at the same time.
He evidently feels it is worth it so I’m on board but it might further explain his huge improvements between first and second years.
I had not really thought about the quotes from the young recruit in this manner. But, I totally understand your concern about training the coaches simultaneously with players. It’s interesting that we haven’t heard anything about coaches “swimming in it” a little this spring. I have heard on one recent podcast (don’t remember which one) but Rhule made it clear to one of the coaches how he wanted a certain aspect of the play/drill executed. I guess that’s one of the drawbacks of a lot of new coaches and new schemes converging in spring. I’m still very hopeful that NU will see better results than Temple and Baylor did year one. GBR!

You have some of that with a new staff, even if the staff members have significant coaching experience. Its learning how to interact with each other, finding out what is important and how to react to certain situations.

Dvoracek, Knighton and McGuire are the three coaches I would consider light on coaching experience and in those cases their limited coaching careers have been with Rhule ... so they at least know what he's like and have that relationship started.

Last edited:
Hard to know for sure, but I think one large component of his training coaches is modeling for them in practice how he wants things done and then giving the coaches feedback on the fly (that the players observe). We've heard many instances of the coaches in a squad doing sprints right along side the players when a correction is being made, and other instances of Rhule apologizing to the team for being wrong on something. The overarching principle is integrity to the process of continuous improvement. Rhule wants every human in the program, coaches, staff, and players to be "coachable."

You have some of that with a new staff, even if the staff members have significant coaching experience. Its learning how to interact with each other, finding out what is important and how to react to certain situations.

Dvoracek, Knighton and McGuire are the three coaches I would consider light on coaching experience and in those cases their limited coaching careers have been with Rhule ... so they at least know what he's like and have that relationship started.
Id like to see more experience too but you have to remember that for most schools position coaches are young guys because as the young position coaches get good, they become coordinators or HCs. So while a little more experience would be nice, the lack of it as position coaches for the most part is the norm

Hard to know for sure, but I think one large component of his training coaches is modeling for them in practice how he wants things done and then giving the coaches feedback on the fly (that the players observe). We've heard many instances of the coaches in a squad doing sprints right along side the players when a correction is being made, and other instances of Rhule apologizing to the team for being wrong on something. The overarching principle is integrity to the process of continuous improvement. Rhule wants every human in the program, coaches, staff, and players to be "coachable."
I don’t disagree with any of this. But I just stress that I believe this philosophy requires a lot of hands on by Rhule getting his coaches trained first before they can truly be effective at 100%. It goes without saying the second year will be so much smoother. But….I still stand by the belief he has 8 wins in him this year. :).

Last edited:

When I read the kids statement about the physicality of the practice and how Matt Rhule was everywhere, I read that for what it is, a positive statement about practice.

It never even crossed my mind to think that Rhule is anything but a very hands on coach. Some HC's are very hands on about things at practice. I get that he wants things done a certain way and have read the statements about coaching up his coaches, but I doubt he all of a sudden backs off in his coaching style just because he feels his position coaches may know more of what he wants.

Any HC that doesn't or won't coach up his coaches cannot teach and win at a high degree of success. Think Frost.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back