• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

2017 Aguek Arop parting ways with Nebraska

Honest question: how many D1 players has the 'Metro' (I'll say both Omaha and Lincoln) produced for MBB in the last 10 years?
Patton, Thomas, young and dotzler...dotzler maybe being the one that would be a stretch for nu. Then there's akoy agau. Chang will be. *** may have a more complete list.

Regardless...doesn't make sense to make a mistake like this in the back yard. Will it change miles' fate at NU one way or another? Probably not at this point.

Honest question: how many D1 players has the 'Metro' (I'll say both Omaha and Lincoln) produced for MBB in the last 10 years?

https://n.rivals.com/search#?formVa....classification%22:%5B%22high_school%22%5D%7D

This shows high school players back to at least 2002. Looks to me about 10-12 over the course of 15 years. Of that number, 2 played for UNL - Dourisseau and Biggs.

To your point above, I don't think recruiting Nebraska basketball players was ever going to change what Miles did at Nebraska...

https://n.rivals.com/search#?formValues=%7B%22sport%22:%22Basketball%22,%22position_group.abbreviation%22:%22%22,%22position.abbreviation%22:%22%22,%22limit%22:null,%22state.abbr%22:%5B%22NE%22%5D,%22highschool.classification%22:%5B%22high_school%22%5D%7D

This shows high school players back to at least 2002. Looks to me about 10-12 over the course of 15 years. Of that number, 2 played for UNL - Dourisseau and Biggs.

To your point above, I don't think recruiting Nebraska basketball players was ever going to change what Miles did at Nebraska...
Patton might have helped. Maybe Thomas. Maybe Chang.

The point remains...doesn't matter where you are...alien acting local coaches isn't a good idea.

Expand unsupported to the rest of the state and nu must simply do better when there IS a player that you should at least have a chance with

Patton might have helped. Maybe Thomas. Maybe Chang.

The point remains...doesn't matter where you are...alien acting local coaches isn't a good idea.

Expand unsupported to the rest of the state and nu must simply do better when there IS a player that you should at least have a chance with

Well of course those guys could have helped, but even then you have 5 or 6 guys over 15 years that were worthy of a schollie. Like I said, that's not enough where I'm going to worry about it. Just because a few kids are unhappy with the way things went, doesn't mean every single coach in Omaha and Lincoln are upset at Miles so quit saying that he's alienating local coaches (or the entire state as you just said..). Also I'm pretty sure support is just fine as UNL and Creighton finished 11th and 10th respectively for MBB attendance with both over 15k. I really doubt 1 or 2 coaches being a little upset is going to change that (if it does, then maybe Nebraska needs to hire one of them if they really have that much pull)... when another player comes along that is worthy and Miles offers, that's all that really matters.

Well of course those guys could have helped, but even then you have 5 or 6 guys over 15 years that were worthy of a schollie. Like I said, that's not enough where I'm going to worry about it. Just because a few kids are unhappy with the way things went, doesn't mean every single coach in Omaha and Lincoln are upset at Miles so quit saying that he's alienating local coaches (or the entire state as you just said..). Also I'm pretty sure support is just fine as UNL and Creighton finished 11th and 10th respectively for MBB attendance with both over 15k. I really doubt 1 or 2 coaches being a little upset is going to change that (if it does, then maybe Nebraska needs to hire one of them if they really have that much pull)... when another player comes along that is worthy and Miles offers, that's all that really matters.
NU overall....not just miles...has failed in recruiting Nebraska as a whole. And there have been quite a few guys who would have been quite a bit better than the dozens of busts that have come through in that time frame.

Is it the end all be all issue? No. Is it as Insignificant (recruiting failure in the state) as you make it? Nope.

As for attendance...fans are still enjoying their shiney new toy. That shine will wear off with more years like the last 2.

I thought Arop could have eventually been a solid role player here. It's pretty clear he hasn't developed like the staff thought he would over the past two years. Still though, you honor the scholarship and give him a shot, at least for a year. Be truthful and honest, but honor it and let it be his decision.
I couldn't agree more. That was a TDM and the Metro coaches will not like this. I am an Alumnus and former player. I watched him live once in last year's state tournament. You could see flashes and he is long and athletic. Chang is a year younger and ever taller and seems to have a little more upside. Not only did Miles do the wrong thing in pulling the scholarship, it was a stupid move in terms of long term success. I just don't see him getting much better in the three openings. I hope I'm wrong, but with White leaving and now this, he is on very thin ice. I would say Nebr. needs to get to the NIT at a minimum for him to keep his job. Thus the reason his contract wasn't extended

We have Miles for at least this season, so I'm willing to see the recruiting direction before deciding this was a bad move. I was never sold on Arop, so I dont view this as that big a deal, aside from the original offer as others have stated.

As an aside, Chubick's comments on this are ridiculous. I get protecting your player, but he seems to be of the impression that Bruce Jr put NU Bball over the top.
How many times have we criticized Jim Harbaugh or Urban Meyers for doing this very same thing? It's a big deal because this is not the Nebraska way. Was it a mistake to offer in the first place? Probably, but the offer was made and you make a decision or commitment, you live with it. You honor it.

I disagree, Nebraska Basketball doesn't have much room for error. On top of that I think he has had at least one unfilled scholarship the last 2-3 years.

NU overall....not just miles...has failed in recruiting Nebraska as a whole. And there have been quite a few guys who would have been quite a bit better than the dozens of busts that have come through in that time frame.

Is it the end all be all issue? No. Is it as Insignificant (recruiting failure in the state) as you make it? Nope.

As for attendance...fans are still enjoying their shiney new toy. That shine will wear off with more years like the last 2.

Quite a few, but yet you could only produce 3 names... who all went to Creighton. Its not like those guys weren't offered, they just chose a different path. That's not failing to recruit Nebraska. You can't continue to make the same argument but yet have no numbers to back it up. There aren't a bunch of guys passing on UNL to go to KU, UK, Duke or UNC.

Its insignificant because there aren't numbers... heck there's not even a lot of guys going to D1-AA to UNO or something similar. So the last 3 highest rated players to come out of Nebraska went to Iowa, Louisville, and Creighton. Yes, it would've been nice for UNL to grab 1 of the 3, but Gesell or Agau weren't going to change the needle much compared to the players who were already here and Patton hasn't played yet so who really knows. He could turn out great or like Jake Hammond.

Nebraska just isn't a basketball state.

I disagree, Nebraska Basketball doesn't have much room for error. On top of that I think he has had at least one unfilled scholarship the last 2-3 years.

Room for error based on what? Its not like UNL has ever been a basketball powerhouse. Yes he has, hoping for a late transfer who might be able to move the needle more than a Trevor Menke (nothing against him at all, just a recent Nebraska kid I could think of).

Not to come across as dismissive, but does this actually matter? If there aren't any players really worthy of an offer, I guess I don't care what those players in the metro think right now. A little different than football where some of those players might decide to walk-on... probably not going to see that in basketball.
Well... to your point, there isn't a single player from Nebraska on the roster. And to go conspiracy theory on you, Miles probably knows he's gone if he doesn't start performing by 2018 and there's no one in Nebraska that will be a factor before then. So he will either have the ship sailing in the right direction to get more Morrow's, Watson's, and Jacobsen's... or he won't be here.

But to the point, I don't want a coach that's thinking that way. There may not be any kids they want right now, but what happens when one of the few metro coaches I talk to that think Nebraska is a "train wreck" does have someone? Timmy is probably one of the last to be alerted about it now.

This may hurt Miles temporarily in regards to Omaha metro recruiting, but I don't think it will be a big deal in the grand scheme of things. He will either sink or swim in next two years and like *** said, there's no recruit in the metro who can help him win during that time period. If he starts to have success, local players will still want to come here.

How many times have we criticized Jim Harbaugh or Urban Meyers for doing this very same thing? It's a big deal because this is not the Nebraska way. Was it a mistake to offer in the first place? Probably, but the offer was made and you make a decision or commitment, you live with it. You honor it.

In context it's not a big deal in the scope of Miles being over his head. I don't like pulling scholarships or changing the rules on a kid, but long term this may be necessary. If Miles starts winning, he'll win a lot of metro coaches and kids back. If he doesn't, it wont be his concern anyway.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back