• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

2017 Aguek Arop parting ways with Nebraska

You may be right here... I will also say he made the right decision here though, wrong decision two years ago. Again, panicked when your boys picked up Patton.
Yes...the mistake was 2 years ago. Kind of a big mistake. I mean everyone in this thread has said that kid isn't all that...what did miles see? Rhetorical question of course

Yes...the mistake was 2 years ago. Kind of a big mistake. I mean everyone in this thread has said that kid isn't all that...what did miles see? Rhetorical question of course
He probably listened to Chubick which can be a mistake to begin with, then saw decent potential for growth. But again, the dude averaged about 4 points as a freshman. Probably should wait til' he is at least dominating high school basketball. Shoot, Malcolm Whitlow down in Lincoln averaged 16ppg and 4 assists as a freshman plus 7 rebounds per game.

I saw a text chain with Arop and Chang on it yesterday and it did not bode well for Timmy in the metro with players.

We have Miles for at least this season, so I'm willing to see the recruiting direction before deciding this was a bad move. I was never sold on Arop, so I dont view this as that big a deal, aside from the original offer as others have stated.

As an aside, Chubick's comments on this are ridiculous. I get protecting your player, but he seems to be of the impression that Bruce Jr put NU Bball over the top.

Miles is in over his head

Considering there is more talent on this team than in the past 15-20 years? I'll politely disagree.

This does make me wonder if there was some sort of condition on his offer though? Otherwise it would seem we shouldn't have made it a commit-able offer.

Considering there is more talent on this team than in the past 15-20 years? I'll politely disagree.

This does make me wonder if there was some sort of condition on his offer though? Otherwise it would seem we shouldn't have made it a commit-able offer.
There was not a condition when it was extended. Now, playing devils advocate if there was a condition to the offer made to a kid as a freshman that they were going to have to go the prep school route, then Miles is a moron and Arop is an idiot for accepting.

Regarding the bold....is there? There are a few more recruits with stars in their ranking but I haven't seen anything from any player that has me thinking "whoa!" except maybe Watson. But if it's true that there is all this talent then i'd have to wonder even more about Miles' coaching ability because, except for a 1 month hot streak, his record is no better than Doc Sadler's. It's poor. And it's not just the first year or two that is bringing his record down...it's the last 2 years. And that has to be cause for concern.

Offering h.s. freshmen is silly IMO. The only ones that are worthy are probably guys that would end up at Duke or Kentucky anyway.

He probably listened to Chubick which can be a mistake to begin with, then saw decent potential for growth. But again, the dude averaged about 4 points as a freshman. Probably should wait til' he is at least dominating high school basketball. Shoot, Malcolm Whitlow down in Lincoln averaged 16ppg and 4 assists as a freshman plus 7 rebounds per game.

I saw a text chain with Arop and Chang on it yesterday and it did not bode well for Timmy in the metro with players.

Not to come across as dismissive, but does this actually matter? If there aren't any players really worthy of an offer, I guess I don't care what those players in the metro think right now. A little different than football where some of those players might decide to walk-on... probably not going to see that in basketball.

Not to come across as dismissive, but does this actually matter? If there aren't any players really worthy of an offer, I guess I don't care what those players in the metro think right now. A little different than football where some of those players might decide to walk-on... probably not going to see that in basketball.

Of course it matters. For one, NU has offered Ed Chang as far as I recall. But even if the metro doesn't produce players on a regular basis you don't want to get a bad rep locally. I'm not saying you have to kiss tail or offer guys that can't compete but offering a guy WAY too soon then pulling the offer is just bad form.

Regarding the bold....is there? There are a few more recruits with stars in their ranking but I haven't seen anything from any player that has me thinking "whoa!" except maybe Watson. But if it's true that there is all this talent then i'd have to wonder even more about Miles' coaching ability because, except for a 1 month hot streak, his record is no better than Doc Sadler's. It's poor. And it's not just the first year or two that is bringing his record down...it's the last 2 years. And that has to be cause for concern.

Overall talent, yes I think so. Maybe 10-15 is more likely, as 20 would be hitting the late 90s with Hamilton, Lue and Cochran's teams and its hard to say what our young guys will become... but I've been impressed with Tai's development, Watson's grit for a FR, Marrow flashed at times, and Jacobsen has good touch for a big man. Hopefully Jordy, Horne and Roby will be able to come in and keep the momentum going. Hitting on back-to-back classes would be great.

And what was Miles left with coming from Doc in 2012? Almeida and Ubel will both Seniors so he got one season from them, Ray was a JR, Rivers was a SO and Benny and Shavon were FR... not exactly a ton to build around. So he tried to patch it as much as possible with all the transfers... that has kinda worked as it made the team more readily competitive compared to playing walk-ons or lesser players, but kinda not as it hasn't allowed any sort of team chemistry. Perhaps this will be the year that the chemistry starts to develop since one class will be looked upon to set the tone.

Last edited:

Of course it matters. For one, NU has offered Ed Chang as far as I recall. But even if the metro doesn't produce players on a regular basis you don't want to get a bad rep locally. I'm not saying you have to kiss tail or offer guys that can't compete but offering a guy WAY too soon then pulling the offer is just bad form.

Honest question: how many D1 players has the 'Metro' (I'll say both Omaha and Lincoln) produced for MBB in the last 10 years?

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back