• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

2017 Aguek Arop parting ways with Nebraska

davidadurNU

Scout Team
10 Year Member
Apparently it was just mentioned on 1620 the zone. Our only recruit on the board. Miles can't catch a break.

He was a panic move by our staff when Patton committed to Crayton, and it backfired.

I never saw the kid in person, but the film on him made me wonder just what they were going to expect of him from a contribution standpoint. He's a good athlete, but not elite, and I didn't see basketball skills that suggested he was going to be a large contributor in any area of the game. It's hard to see locals go elsewhere, but the greater frustration is the lack of talent coming out of the state at this time.

I never saw the kid in person, but the film on him made me wonder just what they were going to expect of him from a contribution standpoint. He's a good athlete, but not elite, and I didn't see basketball skills that suggested he was going to be a large contributor in any area of the game. It's hard to see locals go elsewhere, but the greater frustration is the lack of talent coming out of the state at this time.
He gets almost all his points 5-7 feet around the basket, and doesn't have a great shot. So if he's really 6'5" or 6'6" not sure how that can translate at all to the B1G. I will give him he is way more aggressive than Chang who we have offered, but Chang has a great outside shot. I know Arop committed early, but he has zero other offers. Couple people texted me just now that we were going to try and get him to decommit which kind of rubs me the wrong way because when he committed Miles said "now, I want to know what you are going to say down the road when more people are offering you. I don't want you waivering, we are committing to you now." All of a sudden that's gone. I get it, but more than us panicking and offering him and metro coaches not understanding it when it happened, they will hate even more yanking the scholarship.

Last edited:
He gets almost all his points 5-7 feet around the basket, and doesn't have a great shot. So if he's really 6'5" or 6'6" not sure how that can translate at all to the B1G. I will give him he is way more aggressive than Chang who we have offered, but Chang has a great outside shot. I know Arop committed early, but he has zero other offers. Couple people texted me just now that we were going to try and get him to decommit which kind of rubs me the wrong way because when he committed Miles said "now, I want to know what you are going to say down the road when more people are offering you. I don't want you waivering, we are committing to you now." All of a sudden that's gone. I get it, but more than us panicking and offering him and metro coaches not understanding it when it happened, they will hate even more yanking the scholarship.

That was my concern in watching him, the lack of a stroke at 15 to 18 feet. The B1G has so many strong inside players, guys who are anywhere from 6'7" beasts to long 7 footers. We all love the scrappy 6'5" guy, but as Fuller has found, it's just not easy to play that style in the B1G. As hard as it is to see a kid get a schollie yanked, it's also hard to see a kid sit a bench for 4 years when he could have gone to another school in a mid major conference, or a power DII and be a very solid contributor. Coaches don't like to see offers disappear, but they also aren't fools, they should know if a kid has the skills to play at a particular level. The only thing I see as unfortunate is Arop had success playing his current game, and that has kept him from really working to develop skills in areas he'd need to play as a 3 or big 2. A player and coach need to continue to develop in areas their game may be deficient at the college level.

Last edited:
Agree it sends the wrong message. I'm sorry to see it, Nevertheless! Many thought it was way too early for him to commit at the time, but whatever is best for Aguek. I'd hate to see him come and not fit in the scheme or be unhappy.

I was looking forward to Arop growing to 6'7" and being a glue guy, someone who can play wherever reliably. Maybe he can be more of a contributor elsewhere. Kind of sad. I hate it when there is no one from Nebraska on the Nebraska team.

I thought Arop could have eventually been a solid role player here. It's pretty clear he hasn't developed like the staff thought he would over the past two years. Still though, you honor the scholarship and give him a shot, at least for a year. Be truthful and honest, but honor it and let it be his decision.

I don't think they can do a conditional offer "for a year" anymore. UNL was one of the first ones to guarantee a "four year scholarship". I think they should have honored it just for the reputation value in state. Making Bruce Chubick Sr. mad doesn't help either.

I don't think they can do a conditional offer "for a year" anymore. UNL was one of the first ones to guarantee a "four year scholarship". I think they should have honored it just for the reputation value in state. Making Bruce Chubick Sr. mad doesn't help either.

The mistake was made two years ago. Unfortunately, the kid isn't a Power 5 guy. Too small to play inside, and not enough skills to play the wing. Yeah, there will be a short term hit to "in-state reputation", but it doesn't do any good to kick the can down the road. When he doesn't play and then transfers no one is happy then either.

He seems to always be mad.

Actually, I think this was mostly action on our end. I think we cut him loose. In my opinion, having watched Arop play a few times, it is the right move.
I couldn't agree more. After watching him play last year at the State tourney, I wasn't even sure he was the best player on that team. Bullet.......Dodged.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back