• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

“Voluntarily skipping the bowl game”

I would like to cite my own cautionary tale of leaving school early in hopes of getting drafted to the NFL.
Turned out to be a mistake, I went undrafted. I believe this was a result of being mostly overlooked by NFL scouts, due to the fact that I did not play football in college.
I am now resigned to posting on message boards to recapture my glory days.

I've come around on it for someone that is a top round draft pick, in a meaningless bowl game. Risking millions and starting your NFL career off trying to rehab and not be yourself. That being said, if we start seeing people sitting out the CFP or things like that, I would worry.

However, we've had players from Nebraska (not necessarily in football) fake injuries and what not to help preserve their draft status and money. It's happened for a lot longer than people know.
I guess if the bowl games are meaningless lets get rid of them.

I was listening to ESPN radio last night and they were discussing this. Christian McCaffery is the high profile bowl defector last year, and the feeling was that this could be a widespread practice of the blue-chippers. But they said that it really hasn't happened that much. Josh Allen at Wyoming played last week, and others have and will.

Sitting out a playoff bowl leading to the NC is one thing. Skipping the Bad Boys Mower Bowl or Poulon Weedeater Bowl is another.

Back in the 70s, the NFL annually had a college all-star team (just graduated and ready to go pro) play the Chicago Bears just before camps opened up. Talk about a risk. I had a friend back then who was All-American LB from Arizona, and when invited, he told them he didn't want to play in it because of the injury potential, and was cussed out so bad by the committee that he relented and played. Got beat up in the game, but not enough to keep him from going pro. Notice they don't play that game any more.
Didn't Texas have three players sit the game last night? They had like 8 or 9 overall that didn't play, but I thought I'd heard that there chose to sit out and not risk injury.

It is kinda sad and it definitely causes for lackluster bowl games. But if you're in a meaningless bowl game (anything other than CFP), and you've got high draft stock with millions waiting at the end of a pen stroke then that would be a hard decision to make knowing it could all be taken away. Glad I'm not the one who has to make the decision between my teammates and my multi-million dollar career, cause it would be a lot harder than you'd think.

Meaningless to the player and meaningless to the team are two separate arguments, you can't lump them both together like you are trying to do with that statement. It's like everything in life, some things are more beneficial to others. If you are trying to convince me that the Cactus bowl is meaningful to Josh Rosen when they are 6-6, you will never win. However, UCLA as a team absolutely enjoyed being able to have extra bowl practices and play one more time. Very meaningful to the Bruins and to Chip Kelly to assess his team. Not meaningful at all to Rosen.

Last edited:

I could it start going that direction. They already have a problem with viewership and fan attendance. If players start skippong becuase it’s meaningless, why should the fans spend their money to go or even watch it on TV?

Meaningless to the player and meaningless to the team are two separate arguments, you can't lump them both together like you are trying to do with that statement. It's like everything in life, some things are more beneficial to others. If you are trying to convince me that the Cactus bowl is meaningful to Josh Rosen when they are 6-6, you will never win. However, UCLA as a team absolutely enjoyed being able to have extra bowl practices and play one more time. Very meaningful to the Bruins and to Chip Kelly to assess his team. Not meaningful at all to Rosen.
If we've reached the point the only thing worthwhile or meaningful for some players is playing it safe for the $$$$ NFL draft we've pretty much hit "rock bottom" IMO. There actually are people that aren't 100% driven by $$$$ and I'm lucky to have served and worked with many of them in the military and law enforcement. I'm part of my team until I'm no longer part of my team... period. Yea I know that's old fashioned and not in vogue today... but I'm to old to change!

I guess that is my beef. When its important to the team......and not to the individual. In a team sport Id have a hard time drafting him to the next level.

I guess that is my beef. When its important to the team......and not to the individual. In a team sport Id have a hard time drafting him to the next level.
I think NFL teams look at it if the guy is sitting out the CFP or something like that. I hated this trend when it started, but I can understand why an individual does it. Jaylon Smith's injury in his bowl game cost him nearly 15 million per year. I ain't risking that if i'm Rosen, and I would understand as a teammate.

Last edited:
I think NFL teams look at it if the guy is sitting out the CFP or something like that. I hated this trend when it started, but I can understand why an individual does it. Jaylon Smith's injury in his bowl game cost him nearly 15 million per year. I ain't risking that if i'm Rosen, and I would understand as a teammate.

I'm not a big fan of Rosen but I actually liked and agreed for the most part about what he was saying about players missing bowl games, especially meaningless ones.

FWIW, I actually think he would've played had he not been dealing with lingering concussion issues. I don't think he sat out to protect himself

I'm not a big fan of Rosen but I actually liked and agreed for the most part about what he was saying about players missing bowl games, especially meaningless ones.

FWIW, I actually think he would've played had he not been dealing with lingering concussion issues. I don't think he sat out to protect himself

I mean, I get people don't like it. I do. I just look at it from the kids perspective. That is a great answer.

I hate that this trend is happening but, like ***, I get it. They day a guy bails on the playoffs is when I'll know it's gone too far.

These are exhibition games. They don't mean a thing. About the ONLY team I can think of that is truly playing for something other than the playoff teams is UCF....if I was a fan or player at UCF I'd be pissed if a guy bailed on this game. Other than that...hard to argue.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back