• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

“Voluntarily skipping the bowl game”

Unless he is Peyton Manning, I'm passing. Didn't he play, btw? Seems he took a beating also. This shows too much me in what I believe is 11 moving pieces. I want the dudes who've always got your back, the dudes who are screaming to get back out there.

Yep. I'd like to hear Belichik or Parcells perspective on this.

Yep, I watched the pre-game coverage. He was begging the trainers to let him play. Of course, two prior concussions are nothing to mess with, and they made the right decision to hold him out.

"and the Oscar for best performance in a Bowl Game warm-up goes to..." lol.

Last edited:
I was listening to ESPN radio last night and they were discussing this. Christian McCaffery is the high profile bowl defector last year, and the feeling was that this could be a widespread practice of the blue-chippers. But they said that it really hasn't happened that much. Josh Allen at Wyoming played last week, and others have and will.

Sitting out a playoff bowl leading to the NC is one thing. Skipping the Bad Boys Mower Bowl or Poulon Weedeater Bowl is another.

Back in the 70s, the NFL annually had a college all-star team (just graduated and ready to go pro) play the Chicago Bears just before camps opened up. Talk about a risk. I had a friend back then who was All-American LB from Arizona, and when invited, he told them he didn't want to play in it because of the injury potential, and was cussed out so bad by the committee that he relented and played. Got beat up in the game, but not enough to keep him from going pro. Notice they don't play that game any more.

Going from #1 to #10 could potentially cost millions in a contract with an injury as a result.
Sure Myles Garrett last year's #1 has a $30.4M contract with $20.3M signing bonus included.
Patrick Mahomes last year's #10 has a $16.4M contract with $10.1M signing bonus included.

That is sure a lot of money but $16.4M is still a lot of swag.

"and the Oscar for best performance in a Bowl Game warm-up goes to..." lol.

Players who get concussions in football are in a tough spot. There is no visible injury. The evaluation is essentially all conjecture by the docs. Fortunately, now there is a protocol that ties the coaches hands, so they really can't play anyway if the protocol is followed, YET there is always this nagging feeling that they SHOULD man up and play through this injury just like it was a thigh bruise.

We dealt with this first hand in my house a few years ago when my son had 4 sports-related concussions in a year (two in football, two in wrestling - this was just before all of the "protocols" started coming out). My son wanted to play, but we took the decision out of his hands and benched him permanently. He still to this day has memory issues...

Sure Myles Garrett last year's #1 has a $30.4M contract with $20.3M signing bonus included.
Patrick Mahomes last year's #10 has a $16.4M contract with $10.1M signing bonus included.

That is sure a lot of money but $16.4M is still a lot of swag.

Oh yeah that's still good money, but who wouldn't rather have the #1 contract?

Technically, they entire season is comprised of meaningless games for all but 4 teams. And two of those eventually as well.

And while we are at it, the championship game loser comes out with nothing as well, so all of their games were meaningless too.

As for the winner of the playoffs. All they get is a piece of shiney hardware. Virtually nothing compared to an NFL contract. So in the end, all games are meaningless. Why play any games at all?

I hate it when people introduce slippery slope fallacies. "If A happens then Z will eventually happen, so A should never happen.

I hate it when people introduce slippery slope fallacies. "If A happens then Z will eventually happen, so A should never happen.

That’s not a slippery slope argument. If UCLAs bowl game is meaningless, all of their games were meaningless.

I think it hurts the team and makes the the game look different. People watch bowls to watch the stars and not their backup.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back