• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

MLS thread - 2014 season/Update: Donovan retiring

Alexi LalasVerified <s>@</s>AlexiLalas <small class="time"> </small> OK, let’s do this: How specifically do <s>@</s>MLS’ intentionally vague, confusing and ever-changing rules actually hurt the league as a business?

Well, SKC just got it handed to them by New England. A truly horrible performance by KC's midfield. Not sure a couple of those guys knew what position they were playing. I haven't seen that many random blasts to no one coming from the backs since watching my kids' U9 team. It's funny, apparently SKC made their reputation by controlling possession and pressuring defenses with good spacing. Now? They are the EXACT opposite. Not sure what is going on in KC right now, but it's ugly and it's been this way for several games now. They are NOT a challenger to win the East unless things change drastically.

Of course, maybe I'm overreacting to a truly embarrassing night.

Everybody has a bad day once in awhile....KC has struggled a bit since the All-Star game though....

Well, SKC just got it handed to them by New England. A truly horrible performance by KC's midfield. Not sure a couple of those guys knew what position they were playing. I haven't seen that many random blasts to no one coming from the backs since watching my kids' U9 team. It's funny, apparently SKC made their reputation by controlling possession and pressuring defenses with good spacing. Now? They are the EXACT opposite. Not sure what is going on in KC right now, but it's ugly and it's been this way for several games now. They are NOT a challenger to win the East unless things change drastically.

Of course, maybe I'm overreacting to a truly embarrassing night.

Dan Dickinson @GothamistDan Garber points out that Jonathan Klinsmann is going to college next year, not going overseas.

Back handed swipe....

I see the same ref who lost control of the SKC game last week has botched another game tonight. Gave a red in the first half that was a terrible call. Should have been a yellow, no intent to injure, wasn't late. DCU manager doesn't hold back, and rightfully so, in the interview at the half. This joker ref needs to be sent away. It's amateur hour with him out there.

Last edited:
By the way, if anyone wants proof that the Western conference is superior to the Eastern, just watch this game. NYRB 0 - 0 DCU.
Henry is the only player who seems at all interested in pressuring for a goal. It's gawd-awful soccer. More guys standing around than doing much of anything. I can see why DCU is playing this way with 10 men, but good lord NYRB. You are up a guy and just playing like it's a weekend scrimmage. Either way, it's at least relaxing to watch.

Oddly enough, once everyone got hot and tired, it ended up being a fun last 20 minutes. NYRB won 1-0. I found myself rooting for DCU to hang in there down a man. They made it until the second minute of added time. Great effort in the end. To bad it took these guys 70 minutes to warm up.

Last edited:
Surprised to hear this.....Mark Geiger is a great ref...went as far the WC Qtr Final as you know in Brazil...he is usually spot on with his control of the game...

I see the same ref who lost control of the SKC game last week has botched another game tonight. Gave a red in the first half that was a terrible call. Should have been a yellow, no intent to injure, wasn't late. DCU manager doesn't hold back, and rightfully so, in the interview at the half. This joker ref needs to be sent away. It's amateur hour with him out there.

looks like Geiger was interpreting the new rule...

Brent Bishop @wvlumberjack · 20h <s>@</s>AlexiLalas is spot on. That's how the interpretation is told to refs now. Spikes to the body is a red. Hate it, love it, it's the law

Consummate team player and professional....GREAT read....

LeanderLastNameNoFit @LeanderOnFOX · S BYLINE DROP: On the unimpeachable Kyle Beckerman, the teamiest of team players: http://www.foxsports.com/soccer/inside-mls/kyle-beckerman-steady-fulcrum-real-salt-lake-us-national-team-090914 …

051414-USMNT-30-man-Preliminary-Roster-Real-Salt-Lake-Kyle-Beckerman-JW-G.vadapt.955.medium.0.jpg

looks like Geiger was interpreting the new rule...

Brent Bishop@wvlumberjack · 20h <s>@</s>AlexiLalas is spot on. That's how the interpretation is told to refs now. Spikes to the body is a red. Hate it, love it, it's the law

As you know, spikes to the body happen alot, but most are inconsequential or occur by happenstance. I would probably have to agree with Geiger's call in this particular instance. That was a bit on the ugly side. I would have thought yellow until I heard about "the law".

That said, his management of the SKC - Houston game was just terrible, as Barkley would say.

Last edited:

Everyone has a bad game once in awhile....he is the best ref in MLS on most Saturdays....

As you know, spikes to the body happen alot, but most are inconsequential or occur by happenstance. I would probably have to agree with Geiger's call in this particular instance. That was a bit on the ugly side. I would have thought yellow until I heard about "the law".

That said, his management of the SKC - Houston game was just terrible, as Barkley would say.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back