• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Lamar Jackson

I read this entirely different. It wasn't shaming Jackson as we didn't need to hear it. 90,000 fans in the stands and another two million viewers saw it on a regular basis so there isn't any type of embarrassment being added to his play. I look at it as Fisher telling a story about a successful event. He had to push that button and I have a feeling that Fisher is already seeing the results and telling the story.

Like Lindsey and Spielman?
Bringing in talented players wasn't a Mike Riley problem. Developing them was. There wasn't a position group to me that I could see improvement in from year to year and even most players digressed. Lindsey and Spielman weren't in the system that long so I believe they have an opportunity to improve much more in this system. However...….I believe the story line here is that all of MR's recruits are needing to go through a culture change. For the most part SF's recruits are being vetted for that culture prior to coming on board. I have to believe that even MR's recruits are embracing the culture change because they know deep down they are in better physical shape then they have ever been.

I must have missed the part where Jackson felt he was publicly shamed or embarrassed, can someone post that? This is still football right? What Fisher said is barely even newsworthy.

Well they are stuck with Riley kids at the moment. I don't think he's the type of kid they would recruit. But you gotta do what ya gotta do in the short term.

Pelini and Riley kids will be doing much of the heavy lifting and setting the tone in the transition to the Frost years. They aren't "stuck" with any of them, those who felt stuck have or will move on.

Bringing in talented players wasn't a Mike Riley problem. Developing them was. There wasn't a position group to me that I could see improvement in from year to year and even most players digressed. Lindsey and Spielman weren't in the system that long so I believe they have an opportunity to improve much more in this system. However...….I believe the story line here is that all of MR's recruits are needing to go through a culture change. For the most part SF's recruits are being vetted for that culture prior to coming on board. I have to believe that even MR's recruits are embracing the culture change because they know deep down they are in better physical shape then they have ever been.

Agree. The Riley recruits have to be happy to have coaches with recent, proven excellence in their profession. The players are in the best physical shape of their lives (or will soon be), they are in a climate that promotes excellence, and in schemes on both sides of the ball that reward aggression and fast play while downplaying mistakes that are made with high effort. This staff will allow these guys to get some of their pride back after a historically embarassing 2017.

Last edited:

I simply replied to the comment that they are “stuck with” Riley recruits. Some have and will leave, some won’t contribute, but some have and will serve the program well. The guys who were successful probably have a level of personal accountability that others didn’t and that the new staff will help them with. I just didn’t like the comment as applied to the kids regardless of who the previous coach was.

More from Coach Fisher:

You will definitely see guys going at it at full speed. I’ll tell you that,” Fisher continued. “In my opinion, defense isn’t about one guy who is supposed to make that play. Defense is about 11 guys going to make that play. So when it’s going, what you will see is 11 guys going to make that play. That’s what you will see … It’s not going to be just one guy going to make that play anymore, or they won’t be on the field.

And Chinander:

" It’s about the details you teach … What you won’t see is, you won’t see guys playing 100 yards off the ball. (Fish) is going to have his guys pressing guys, aggressive in people’s faces. You’re going to see guys rushing the passer. You’re going to see great effort to the football. You’re going to see guys that want to tackle.”

More Chinander:

“My philosophy is, your value to our defense is directly related to how far away you are from the football when the whistle is blown,” Chinander said. “And if you can’t get close to the football when the whistle is blown, then you’re going to stand by me or go somewhere else. And if you can’t do that in practice, you’re going to stand by me or go somewhere else.”

Pretty much aimed at the entire defensive squad, right? They are making their expectations crystal clear - I hope that's what every player would want.

https://247sports.com/college/nebra...ve-to-get-Scott-Frost-the-football-119114195/

Last edited:
I love it to, if he doesn't trot it out to the media it's gold.
That’s the part i have a little trouble with.
I love challenging the player, laying it on the line.
Not sure i see the advantage of publicly calling out the player.
It’s great reading for the hungry masses, though.

Here's an alternative perspective: maybe Lamar has celebrated the coaches for motivating him the way they did, and the coaches are now highlighting that experience/encounter. The short is, we don't know. I'll trust this coaching staff even if their methods are different from what others might do. If Lamar is resentful and their approach doesn't work, we'll know soon enough.

Good for Lamar to own up to this but still not the right way to motivate IMO.

Would you like your boss going to the papers and saying you're not working to the best of your abilities and if it doesn't going to get better I'm going to go find someone to take your job!
Wouldn't take that. If you suck at your job, your ass should be fired, immediately.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back