• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Lamar Jackson

Dude, you either can do your job or you can't. There isn't a grey area. You can either make that burger, or you can't. You can either take out that appendix successfully, or you can't. You can either assemble that door on that chevy or you can't. Fact is, many suck at their jobs, tons. I'm not talking about the training. I can damn sure guarantee you NU would not have had a career loser as it's coach if I were calling the shots, that's for damn sure.

This ignores ane eliminates the entire premise of player development (and employee development). Players can ball coming out of high school but need to be developed and improve their skills to get to the highest level. Performance isn't as black and white as you suggest. As far as the comments on employees, I could "do" therapy after grad school, but you better believe I am far more effective after 14 years of professional practice. It's pretty much a universal truth in most professions.

Dude, you either can do your job or you can't. There isn't a grey area. You can either make that burger, or you can't. You can either take out that appendix successfully, or you can't. You can either assemble that door on that chevy or you can't.
How can that be?
You can either play or u can't
Yeah, what's this "thinking he can play" crap? He can either play or should be cut, and the coaches can either tell he can play or not or they are failing at their jobs! No need to prod the kid at all, he can play or not. Maybe HIO should be calling the coaches out? ;)

Last edited:
Yeah, what's this "thinking he can play" crap? He can either play or should be cut, and the coaches can either tell he can play or not or they are failing at their jobs! No need to prod the kid at all, he can play or not. Maybe HIO should be calling the coaches out? ;)

What if he can play but doesn't realize the amount of effort and commitment required to get it done, and all "in-house" options have been tried and haven't produced the desired result?

I’ve mentioned it before ... people are just seeing Lamar’s name and thinking coach threw him under the bus, they are speaking on how they are developing culture and giving more than just talk, they are telling how they are establishing the culture by competition and the mindset of getting better day by day and not just coasting or getting by. Are they trying to light a fire under Lamar, yes I’m sure, but not just him but the whole defense, they are calling out the WHOLE D. Lamar’s name is being used, well because he’s the “biggest button” . They went to their top player and said I’m looking to replace you, your job is not to get replaced and the guys under Lamar are like whoa, everyone has been put on notice - put your best foot forward or get passed over.

NU defensive coordinator Erik Chinander and secondary coach Travis Fisher shed some light on a new culture developing in the program.

There were some guys that looked up like, 'Woo.' But that's what I had to do to get guys to understand that you have a lot more inside of you. It's just hidden. You don't want to bring it out because you're so used to even-keel. And there's no such thing as even-keel in football."

Because, at the end of the day, what did I really do? What I did was make my whole room more competitive — every day. That way, we can have the type of secondary Nebraska's used to having every year — instead of just bringing in one five-star kid and making everyone happy."

Maybe read, so as not to get your panties in a wad over a coach using a name...?

https://journalstar.com/sports/husk...cle_c0fef3de-4f10-5d51-bdbf-8a4734d666eb.html

Let’s not pretend like fans are not going to throw anyone under the bus if they under-perform. :Biggrin:

Better a trusted coach do it as a motivational move than a bunch of angry drunks after a game :Cheers:

I love it to, if he doesn't trot it out to the media it's gold.

Everyone knows Jackson didn't play to his level last year, hopefully including Lamar.

Let the results on the field tell the story of how you've developed kids.

What happened to the "what happens in the locker room, stays in the locker room". It's not our business. We have a vested interest in what goes on, but IT'S NOT OUR BUSINESS.

Embarrassed? He should be embarrassed. He hasn't played anywhere close to his abilities. I hope he owns that 100%, and if asked about it, be blunt and say, 'he was absolutely right, and if I keep playing like the last 2 years, they will have someone take my spot. But I'm not going to continue to be that guy'.

Wait just a minute. MAYBE he was being told to give the WR a 10 yard cushion. Maybe the DC/DB coach was coaching them to do that. Maybe he had trouble tackling because the coaches didn't emphasize it in practice.

Let's not assume it's all on him.

This is not as uncommon as the article would suggest. My son played collegiate basketball ... he was the recipient of this mantra all the time. I know several college bball coaches who also profess this mantra.

Its not unusual.

I do object to Fischer putting this out in the open. It embarrasses Lamar Jackson. Why do it? This should be between the player, team and the coach. Not the public.
I would venture to guess they did. If they had better numbers in the CB room I am guessing he would have been on 3rd team to make a point. Like center for spring game, just won't be numbers.

Didn't elevate him. I have seen many tweets out of his account and other players and coaches saying, not by name, that teammates need to spend less time tweeting and put that time into working.
LJ tweets a lot about what he is going to do.

Teammate pressure hasn't slowed him down. So coach is just saying put up or shut up. I will play motivated freshman who aren't scared to hit.

So yeah, if it was something that happened right when new coaches got here that would be one thing, but the team has in large part trying to get him focused as a whole.

Down to his last straw per se. I hope he shows up this fall, but I would rather see a young kid come in and Ralph/Mike Brown it and give us four years of quality effort and growth.

We need significantly more routes cut off, big hitting, PDs and INTs. Kalu and Jones had the mentality. Bootle seems like he has it and room to grow.

LJ, if you are reading this, swag shows up in the ring, not on Twitter.

Are you going to show up at the first bell? Money Mayweather can talk because he has done it. You don't have anything to back up your talk yet...

Don't be the guy that always calls a foul playing ball because you can't finish hard at the rack.....

I would venture to guess they did. If they had better numbers in the CB room I am guessing he would have been on 3rd team to make a point. Like center for spring game, just won't be numbers.

Didn't elevate him. I have seen many tweets out of his account and other players and coaches saying, not by name, that teammates need to spend less time tweeting and put that time into working.

Teammate pressure hasn't slowed him down. So coach is just saying put up or shut up. I will play motivated freshman who aren't scared to hit.

So yeah, if it was something that happened right when new coaches got here that would be one thing, but the team has in large part trying to get him focused as a whole.

Down to his last straw per se. I hope he shows up this fall, but I would rather see a young kid come in and Ralph/Mike Brown it and give us four years of quality effort and growth.

We need significantly more routes cut off, big hitting, PDs and INTs. Kalu and Jones had the mentality. Bootle seems like he has it and room to grow.

Are you going to show up at the first bell? Money Mayweather can talk because he has done it. You don't have anything to back up your talk yet...

Don't be the guy that always calls a foul playing ball because you can't finish hard at the rack.....

End of story

His Twitter is mostly inspirational stuff and RTs of other players. When he got to summer conditioning he said he never wanted to be great so bad. I’m curious, what specific tweets from the summer lead you to these conclusions that he should tweet less about what he’s going to do! What is this “talk” he needs to back up? Man, social media sure makes us brave. “If you’re reading this...”. Cmon man

His Twitter is mostly inspirational stuff and RTs of other players. When he got to summer conditioning he said he never wanted to be great so bad. I’m curious, what specific tweets from the summer lead you to these conclusions that he should tweet less about what he’s going to do! What is this “talk” he needs to back up? Man, social media sure makes us brave. “If you’re reading this...”. Cmon man

102-Animal-House-quotes.gif

What if he can play but doesn't realize the amount of effort and commitment required to get it done, and all "in-house" options have been tried and haven't produced the desired result?
LOL, now you are arguing a different point, the very point GFFRO was making...not everyone develops instantly, some take longer to hit their stride. Glad you are on board that this staff can coach up some guys that aren't getting it yet. That said, public outings shouldn't be in their repertoire.

Last edited:

Follow more players and coaches and look at THEIR comments. I personally messaged him wishing him the best and encouraging him to keep the focus up. LJ saw both.

I was just filling in some of the gaps for those who don't follow twitter closely for frame of reference on coaches comments. Players say some pretty enlightening stuff on social media.

Self aggrandizement is not the same as motivational tweets. Again, this is why I said coach didn't just put him on blast per se.

Sometimes kids need tough love. As an Army First Sergeant I learned a long time ago to expect what you accept. Someone forgot to share that missive with the previous regime.

It is also why I think we will do better than the 5.5 win over under on wins. Frost et al get it as evidenced by the stint at UCF.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back