• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Lamar Jackson

They also called out Avery Roberts very publically this spring. I'm guessing this only happens when other motivations are not working. And it sets a standard for current and future players on what is expected of them.

Good point. Barrett Ruud most certainly did - repeatedly. I hope it works. Same with Jaylin Barnett..

This is not as uncommon as the article would suggest. My son played collegiate basketball ... he was the recipient of this mantra all the time. I know several college bball coaches who also profess this mantra.

Its not unusual.

I do object to Fischer putting this out in the open. It embarrasses Lamar Jackson. Why do it? This should be between the player, team and the coach. Not the public.

Agree

First, it was Fischer not Frost who said this publically.

Second, I don't care if your boss was Scott Frost, Mother Theresa or the Easter Bunny ... going public with something like this has serious potential negative ramifications.

The coaching staff has called out two players so far. Coach Ruud called out a backer during Spring ball now Fischer. If calling out players is such hallowed ground then we better prepare ourselves for 3 more years of stormy weather!

There are many ways to motivate. I understand. But IMO if it takes public shaming then you've got the wrong person or the wrong process.
Your posts here make it fairly clear what your opinion is. Although I respect that opinion and can clearly see your argument, it is also obvious that this coaching staff disagrees with that opinion as is evident by the publication of criticism of three players: Roberts, Barnett and Jackson. Since I recall a similar "calling out" of a player that turned out to apparently be a motivating factor in his outstanding finish to his collegiate career, Suh, I think I will reserve my judgement until I see the results of this tactic.

Incidentally, I don't consider what any one of the coaches did as "shaming" but maybe public criticism to you is shaming. We'll probably have to agree to disagree on that too.

Your posts here make it fairly clear what your opinion is. Although I respect that opinion and can clearly see your argument, it is also obvious that this coaching staff disagrees with that opinion as is evident by the publication of criticism of three players: Roberts, Barnett and Jackson. Since I recall a similar "calling out" of a player that turned out to apparently be a motivating factor in his outstanding finish to his collegiate career, Suh, I think I will reserve my judgement until I see the results of this tactic.

Incidentally, I don't consider what any one of the coaches did as "shaming" but maybe public criticism to you is shaming. We'll probably have to agree to disagree on that too.

Great post Pop Corn.... with age comes wisdom.:cool:

Not so sure coach “shamed” Jackson and a lot being speculated about his name being used. Could it be, coaches are sharing a success story on how they are building a culture and Lamar is rising to the occasion and becoming the leader this team needs? Also, by Fisher naming Jackson in this article actually recognize him as being someone with a lot of talent and someone he sees with a ton of potential?

"I went and pushed the biggest button in the room. Lamar Jackson, I pushed his button,"

If Lamar is the “biggest button” then doesn’t coach see him as the best he has.... Frost and company are trying to build a culture, a winning culture and not a culture of participation. You need team leaders that not only lead by example, but are willing to prepare the next guy to not only replace you but to exceed you... that’s what true and great leaders do. That’s the mindset they are trying to cultivate and not one of just getting by and going through motions. If your training with someone to take your spot are you not going to bust your butt and bring your best out, knowing that the only way he takes your job is to out work yourself so you make it damn hard or impossible to out work.
It seems coach Chins believes so too...

"The real guys — and I don't know how many real guys we've got — they'll teach that (new) kid to take their spot knowing he can't ever do it," Chinander said. "We'll see how many real guys we've got. Eventually, we'll start getting them, and they're going to teach these young kids, 'Hey, bro, here's what you've got to do to take my spot, but let me give you a little head's-up, it ain't ever going to happen.'

"When you get guys like that, that's when it really starts to happen."

https://journalstar.com/sports/husk...cle_c0fef3de-4f10-5d51-bdbf-8a4734d666eb.html

I am willing to defer to this coaching staff due to their previous success and Coach Frost's Husker ties and will continue to do so until they give me a reason not to. (ie blowout losses in which the team gives up, multiple losing seasons, players not getting better as they get more experience, playing favorites instead of the most talented, ect) The first year or two I am willing to give them carte blanche.

Last edited:

These coaches know exactly what the are doing...they see good and want great...it's what separates good coaches from great coaches.

Everytime I see Lamar Jackson thread at the top with a new post I keep thinking that the next post is going to say he is gone. I am usually a pretty positive happy guy but I just can't help thinking that a lot of kids these days are pretty soft and can't handle a little reality 'slap in the face' as it were. Then I read the posts and see he is still here and that the only people that seemed to be upset are the fans. I hope Lamar takes his 'come upance' like it was meant to be and plays like he is capable, and I hope the fans and myself included can just drop the subject and let it play out.

There are many ways to motivate. I understand. But IMO if it takes public shaming then you've got the wrong person or the wrong process.
Well they are stuck with Riley kids at the moment. I don't think he's the type of kid they would recruit. But you gotta do what ya gotta do in the short term.

I remember Jimmy Johnson saying that each guy responds to a different form of motivation. Some you need to praised or be encouraged. Others need to be yelled at or embarrassed. You've just gotta find the right buttons to push to get the most out of your guys.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back