• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Banker out

If I were Reggie Davis I'd be a little concerned the running game decline isn't all on the offensive line.

Langsdorf is is absolutely no
trouble, he is one of the best coordinators in the country.
We ranked 90th in total offense in 2016 and 79th in scoring offense, so if we didn't have him we would have been in the 100s? If that is factual you have to fire Cav, Williams, Davis, and Thompson immediately.

Last edited:
Why this fascination with NFL people. Most NFLers have failed as head coaches. The games are different. I get Riley is all pro-style but the games have evolved in different directions. Monte Kiffin was killing it in the NFL and got killed in the NCAA.
To me it's not about getting an NFL coach, what I like about Devaney is that his network will help us expand the search and give Riley more options to consider.

Oh yeah, and where did he start? (No need to answer)

I think you meant he is the preeminent coordinator of defense in modern football
That is what I said, "preeminent defensive coordinators in modern football." And yes, I do know his roots. I met the man on several occasions in the early 1970s.

If I were Reggie Davis I'd be a little concerned the running game decline isn't all on the offensive line.
I respectfully disagree. You cannot run the ball if the guys in the trenches don't open the holes. Cavanaugh is the guy that should be concerned and re-evaluating his methods.

We ranked 90th in total offense in 2016 and 79th in scoring offense, so if we didn't have him we would have been in the 100s? If that is factual you have to fire Cav, Williams, Davis, and Thompson immediately.
Cavanaugh would be the one. When my wife recognizes the deficiencies in the offensive line, you can pretty much bet there is something drastically wrong.

Why this fascination with NFL people. Most NFLers have failed as head coaches. The games are different. I get Riley is all pro-style but the games have evolved in different directions. Monte Kiffin was killing it in the NFL and got killed in the NCAA.

1. Most people have failed as head coaches.
2. We are not hiring a head coach.

Other than that, sound logic.

Sorry, but the high number of firings in just two seasons is a pretty good indication that people who had concerns about the staff have been at least partially correct.
While I agree that there is some of the staff from the get-go that weren't looking the part, I think it's tough to just assemble an unbelievable staff instantly. Really only two people were let go, and that's Banker and Hughes. Stewart wants a coordinator job. It's really tough to put together 9 coaches in a couple weeks, you aren't going to get every single one right, and frankly, sometimes better people come along in year 2 than who were available when you were first assembling. Williams had only been recruiting for 2 years when Riley first assembled his staff, but since we got him now, he has 4 years of experience and a recruiting coordinator position under his belt.

As a genuinely good guy - it must tear Riley up to fire his friends and long time coaching associates.

Maybe I'm wrong but I don't recall TO ever handling a dismissal like this.

Last edited:
While I agree that there is some of the staff from the get-go that weren't looking the part, I think it's tough to just assemble an unbelievable staff instantly. Really only two people were let go, and that's Banker and Hughes. Stewart wants a coordinator job. It's really tough to put together 9 coaches in a couple weeks, you aren't going to get every single one right, and frankly, sometimes better people come along in year 2 than who were available when you were first assembling. Williams had only been recruiting for 2 years when Riley first assembled his staff, but since we got him now, he has 4 years of experience and a recruiting coordinator position under his belt.
Good point. Most successful programs make key changes before stability in the coaching staff is achieved.

While all of that is true, I suspect, other than the job posting, all of the "t" have been crossed and the "i" dotted. Riley is a very smart guy with connections. IMO, it is significant that he waited until after the Championship game to make the announcement. Is he going after one of the Clemson or Bama staff? We played our bowl game about two weeks ago. He could have announced a DC change shortly after the loss to Tennessee. He will have to have his guy on board for recruiting purposes, immediately. The dead period is over today.
I really think the timing had more to do with the AFCA convention just ending. An awful lot of relationships built there.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back