1. You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.
    Dismiss Notice

1 stat

Discussion in 'Football' started by Huskerthom, Feb 1, 2019.

1. Bman

Bman Red Shirt 2 Year Member

agree. quarterback pressure leading to more sacks. tfls .quarterback hurries, turnovers. and mainly just confusion in the offensive backfield. not to mention giving our defensive backfield some help as they wont have to cover receivers forever.

36Blast likes this.
  2. Power of Corn

Power of Corn Red Shirt 5 Year Member

Offense - yd per play up
    Defense- yd per play down

If the Defense can reduce by 1 yd per play, thats about 65-70 yd less per game, which is a very nice reduction, prob equating to 7 points per game, because it will stop 2-3 more drives.

inthedeed likes this.
  3. YUENGLING

YUENGLING Junior Varsity 5 Year Member

This

4. izzycohen

izzycohen Hayseed 10 Year Member

I can't disagree any of the points made on this thread. But, having to choose only one, I'll go with turnover margin.

Bigger Ed and Cvillehusker like this.
  5. Huskerthom

Huskerthom All Legend 5 Year Member

Thanks to all. This thread has been a great discussion. Civil and educated reasoning.

6. Cvillehusker

Cvillehusker stranded in Boilermaker country

O- less turnovers
    D-more Tackles for loss

7. RMR

RMR Walk On Hero 15 Year Member

I would like the offense to complete all drives never needing a third down. Resulting in TDs. Even removing punters and long snappers from the roster for more athletes.

I would like the defense to get 3-5 sacks a game without a blitz.

huskermike likes this.
  8. RedStones

RedStones Travel Squad 5 Year Member

Lots of good suggestions.

For me, it's been so frustrating to watch our defense fail to get stops on 3rd down. Fix that and it will be a huge improvement.

On offense, YPC. We need to be able to run whenever we want. Then we can hit the big plays.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
    Elwood von Kiowa likes this.
  9. Elwood von Kiowa

Elwood von Kiowa Grad Assistant 5 Year Member

I'd like to live in that world. Probably not gonna happen though... We might need to punt a time or two in the CFP.

huskermike and RMR like this.
  10. Boji Husker

Boji Husker Red Shirt

last year the most important stats that NU was bad at were:
    1.) Third down stops
    2.)Third and fourth down conversions
    If NU improves both of those by a significant amount NU will have a great year.

11. Husker Country Doc

Husker Country Doc All American 15 Year Member

My one stat would be defensive....Scoring defense to <25ppg, for this year, and working toward <20ppg.

We were 31.x ppg last year.

12. Husker Country Doc

Husker Country Doc All American 15 Year Member

TO margin and field position are huge ones, as well.

13. 36Blast

36Blast Slow Blinker 2 Year Member

That equates to a top 15 defense in the nation. High aspirations my friend.

14. Bigger Ed

Bigger Ed Red Shirt

We were 24.2 ppg second half of the season. That stat is a little deceptive because that includes MSU (terrible offense) and B-C ($$$ opponent).

It's been said before but bears repeating, if our offense is working as designed, the defense is going to be on the field a lot and that means we'll be giving up more points than we'd normally like to see. To keep opponents scores down, we're going to have to generate takeaways, increasing the turnover ratio.

15. Greatest Fan of All

Greatest Fan of All The Legend 10 Year Member

Folks are all over the board here with their "important" stats. Truth is, they are all important and need to be improved upon. The defense needs lots of work and will only get there when the talent is upgraded, hopefully this year. Don't be fooled into thinking that we must give up a lot of points because of our offense, if that was the case--but it's not---we'd need to change the offense. We can still build a great defense that holds opponents to lower yardage/scoring, the thought that the days of great defense is dead is greatly exaggerated. We may not achieve the stats we have in the past but that's largely because of offense-favoring rule changes, but just watch for when we move up the CFB rankings for total defense...we need to be in the top 20 there consistently.