• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

1 stat

Quarterback Pressures

Will not only lead to turnovers, but will limit opposition completion percentage.

More 3 and outs!
agree. quarterback pressure leading to more sacks. tfls .quarterback hurries, turnovers. and mainly just confusion in the offensive backfield. not to mention giving our defensive backfield some help as they wont have to cover receivers forever.

Offense - yd per play up
Defense- yd per play down

If the Defense can reduce by 1 yd per play, thats about 65-70 yd less per game, which is a very nice reduction, prob equating to 7 points per game, because it will stop 2-3 more drives.

My first thought was TFLs. Because they can be such momentum changers. But then I recalled all the times we'd get a TFL or two, and then proceed to give up a 3rd down conversion that ultimately led to a score.

So I'd say the most important stats would be:

D: 3rd down stops
O: 3rd down conversions.

Getting turnovers before 3rd down, and getting offensive 1st downs on 1st or 2nd down, would just be bonuses.
This

I would like the offense to complete all drives never needing a third down. Resulting in TDs. Even removing punters and long snappers from the roster for more athletes.

I would like the defense to get 3-5 sacks a game without a blitz.

Lots of good suggestions.

For me, it's been so frustrating to watch our defense fail to get stops on 3rd down. Fix that and it will be a huge improvement.

On offense, YPC. We need to be able to run whenever we want. Then we can hit the big plays.

Last edited:

I would like the offense to complete all drives never needing a third down. Resulting in TDs. Even removing punters and long snappers from the roster for more athletes.

I would like the defense to get 3-5 sacks a game without a blitz.
I'd like to live in that world. Probably not gonna happen though... We might need to punt a time or two in the CFP.

last year the most important stats that NU was bad at were:
1.) Third down stops
2.)Third and fourth down conversions
If NU improves both of those by a significant amount NU will have a great year.

My one stat would be defensive....Scoring defense to <25ppg, for this year, and working toward <20ppg.

We were 31.x ppg last year.

My one stat would be defensive....Scoring defense to <25ppg, for this year, and working toward <20ppg.

We were 31.x ppg last year.
We were 24.2 ppg second half of the season. That stat is a little deceptive because that includes MSU (terrible offense) and B-C ($$$ opponent).

It's been said before but bears repeating, if our offense is working as designed, the defense is going to be on the field a lot and that means we'll be giving up more points than we'd normally like to see. To keep opponents scores down, we're going to have to generate takeaways, increasing the turnover ratio.

Folks are all over the board here with their "important" stats. Truth is, they are all important and need to be improved upon. The defense needs lots of work and will only get there when the talent is upgraded, hopefully this year. Don't be fooled into thinking that we must give up a lot of points because of our offense, if that was the case--but it's not---we'd need to change the offense. We can still build a great defense that holds opponents to lower yardage/scoring, the thought that the days of great defense is dead is greatly exaggerated. We may not achieve the stats we have in the past but that's largely because of offense-favoring rule changes, but just watch for when we move up the CFB rankings for total defense...we need to be in the top 20 there consistently.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back