• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

1 stat

My first thought was TFLs. Because they can be such momentum changers. But then I recalled all the times we'd get a TFL or two, and then proceed to give up a 3rd down conversion that ultimately led to a score.

So I'd say the most important stats would be:

D: 3rd down stops
O: 3rd down conversions.

Getting turnovers before 3rd down, and getting offensive 1st downs on 1st or 2nd down, would just be bonuses.

OK first the ground rules. The choices can not be either score more or prevent the other team from scoring. Those are too easy and too obvious.

So that being said what stat would you like to see improved next year for us to have a successful season.

On offense I would like to see less interceptions. 2AM only had 8 total but they seemed to come at key times of some of our losses
On Defense I would like to see us improve on YPC for the Rushing game. We gave up 5.0 YPC for comparison MSU the best in the B1G was 2.6.
More forced turnovers

Average Starting field position .... lot of factors have a bearing on this stat including efficiency on special teams. Bottom line is that I like our chances for a W if we are putting ourselves in a better position than our opponent.

My first thought was TFLs. Because they can be such momentum changers. But then I recalled all the times we'd get a TFL or two, and then proceed to give up a 3rd down conversion that ultimately led to a score.

So I'd say the most important stats would be:

D: 3rd down stops
O: 3rd down conversions.

Getting turnovers before 3rd down, and getting offensive 1st downs on 1st or 2nd down, would just be bonuses.
Giving up the third & longs last year was very frustrating to watch and I’m sure it took its toll on the defense. After a while it seemed we were stuck in a loop of good 1st & 2nd down D with a meltdown on 3rd down.

Turnover ratio in our favor.

This, high turnover margin. Best correlation to wins/losses

defence - more turnovers
special teams - more punts returned (although the coverage rules really seem to prevent this)

Turnovers at about a +3-5 would be a thing of beauty

I was going to say sacks, but i think turnover ratio is more important

More forced turnovers

You are all correct. A turnover of > 1 virtually ensures a winning season.

FootballScoop examined the last seven seasons of turnover margins and found that among the 53 teams that forced an average turnover margin of greater than one per game, 52 of them posted winning seasons. (Why seven seasons? That’s as far as back as the CFB Stats database goes.)

Fifty-two out of 53. Force a fraction more than one turnover per game than your opponent and your team has a 98.11% chance of a winning season.

Ten years ago in an offense that threw the ball as much as Nebraska does now, I'd have said 'Yards Per Pass Attempt'. I still think it's an important stat, but if the run game is clicking, it may become completely irrelevant. So for this discussion I'll have to say turnover margin.

Ten years ago in an offense that threw the ball as much as Nebraska does now, I'd have said 'Yards Per Pass Attempt'. I still think it's an important stat, but if the run game is clicking, it may become completely irrelevant. So for this discussion I'll have to say turnover margin.

You have seen the light. :)

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back