• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Ohio...

Status
Not open for further replies.
The alternative is to have a pipeline nowhere and have to educate the teams and recruits on who you are every year....

N2FL brought up that as far as talent goes, the upper tier states are Florida, Texas, and California. Everyone goes after kids there. But the second tier of states include Ohio, Georgia, etc.... if we were making a pipeline to Montana I would be concerned.

I would gather that you are just concerned that we are taking too many from the state, and not concerned that who we are taking aren't good enough? Or am I off base with that? Not a bash, just clarifying...

Though if you look on their site they claim to have won something like 12 or more.

Off course all except one(shared) were in the BC time frame.

Fine. I was just bringing up an observation I had made in regards to the recruits that are coming in. I just don't like the thought of this. Thanks for all of your input.

You are entitled to your opinion. Sorry others jumped you the way they did. Not sure you expected that! While I do agree with you, I think we will see kids from all over when this class is done as RR mentioned. I, myself,am more concerned that the majority of our recruits that have committed or that are talked about are on the defensive side of the ball then I am that so many are from Ohio.

for both parts...It's both for me.

Interesting....I guess where I would try to lighten your "worries" is that the one we just got from there we took from Michigan, who everyone knows currently has the number one class right now.

A big part of college football is recruiting, and you have to play to your strengths. Bo is a nationally known defensive-mind, which is why guys like Dixon are still in the fold, and is also why defensive players give us looks that otherwise wouldn't think twice about it. But more than him being a defensive mind, he is an Ohio native. Couple that with Marrow, Beck, and staff being from Ohio, you have a major leg-up on others trying to recruit from there. You have to play that card as much as you can with players you think that can play in your system. Just as Fisher helped us reel in Allen.

Relationships are such a big part of recruiting that the Ohio connection can't be ignored. I would say we get at least one more guy from Ohio in this class. But I don't think Bo has a bias towards Ohio athletes the way some make it out that he does. He doesn't see film and make sure the guy is from Ohio (not saying that's what you're saying). But I can guarantee you that he knows good football is played in that state and there is a lot of film watched from kids residing in Ohio.

Interesting....I guess where I would try to lighten your "worries" is that the one we just got from there we took from Michigan, who everyone knows currently has the number one class right now.

A big part of college football is recruiting, and you have to play to your strengths. Bo is a nationally known defensive-mind, which is why guys like Dixon are still in the fold, and is also why defensive players give us looks that otherwise wouldn't think twice about it. But more than him being a defensive mind, he is an Ohio native. Couple that with Marrow, Beck, and staff being from Ohio, you have a major leg-up on others trying to recruit from there. You have to play that card as much as you can with players you think that can play in your system. Just as Fisher helped us reel in Allen.

Relationships are such a big part of recruiting that the Ohio connection can't be ignored. I would say we get at least one more guy from Ohio in this class. But I don't think Bo has a bias towards Ohio athletes the way some make it out that he does. He doesn't see film and make sure the guy is from Ohio (not saying that's what you're saying). But I can guarantee you that he knows good football is played in that state and there is a lot of film watched from kids residing in Ohio.

all good/excellent points and I agree to an extent. I just don't to "overplay/overuse" those cards, hope that makes sense?

if the core of a NC team came from Ohio, I'll change my tune but I just simply don't see a NC coming from a core of Ohioans.

Not to mention Love and McWilson are both 4-star rated recruits...

And as I said above they are in the top 4 for talent by state in the country....

And in regards to "stars" rankings, I've put any credence to those in the GARBAGE. We can all thank Cally for that. I don't pay attention to "stars" any more and for good reason. They artificially inflate our expectations.

all good/excellent points and I agree to an extent. I just don't to "overplay/overuse" those cards, hope that makes sense?

I agree....there is a fine line between using the card and overusing it....

I do think we are all good for right now, but we all know that the proof will be 3 years down the road. I think our defensive recruits no one would argue are good ones, Hart is a need that I really like on film, and I haven't seen much of this kid so I don't want to speculate. I'm just going off his offer sheet.

Ohio is basically like having Nebraska, South Dakota, Iowa, Missouri, and Kansas all lumped into one state. If we can steal one or two from Michigan and Ohio St (Love, McWilson) and get a couple needs that we think fit our system (Hart, Gladney), I think we are tapping into the talent pool just right.

And in regards to "stars" rankings, I've put any credence to those in the GARBAGE. We can all thank Cally for that. I don't pay attention to "stars" any more and for good reason. They artificially inflate our expectations.

I once talked to John Blake for an hour or so at a clinic and he said something that still sticks with me today.... "if LSU or USC want you, you aren't going to be a 2 star". That's why the kids offers are so much to do with the ratings, and somewhat how to gauge things. But it can be so much more than that, if Gladney has really grown 2 or 3 inches since a camp, he is just hitting his growth spurt and others probably don't even know about him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back