• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Unbelievable Offensive "Philosophy" from Doc Sadler

NU does not have the superior athletes of top 25 teams. As such they need to find some creative ways to get easy baskets. Most of the motion they ran last night where they look to go high-low is great if you're Kansas or UNC with some of the big kids they've had over the years. When they were able to get the ball in the post Ubel isn't enough of a threat to beat his man consistently let alone require a double team.

Also thought that Nebraska's out of bounds plays lacked creativity. One instance at the end of the first half with 7 seconds left on the shot clock and the ball 3-point line extended. Instead of some screens and something going toward the basket. The point guard tried to just seal his guy and was forced into the backcourt. It seemed as if they had forgotten there were only a few seconds on the clock and then they actually crossed half at about 3 or 4 left on the 35 and heaved up a prayer.

NBA teams are running game tying shots from that spot all the time in the NBA, there's lots out there.

Just wondering, how does Wisconsin's offense work?

Much more efficiently than Nebraska's. Like they actually practice something other than the Warm-Up Weave. And I would bet my life the instructions are NOT to not shoot before 15 seconds on the shot clock except in half/game-end situations or clock killing situations with a healthy lead.

and that was evident in the game.. Numerous times a shot was made at the top of the key after a couple passes.

This post is not a defense of Doc in any way. I am not a fan of ball movement just for the sake of ball movement.

However, we can't overlook that actual facts of the situation.

Wisconsin runs more clock per possession than NU does.

Here are the numbers on the season:
(Total Seconds Played) / (Possessions + Offensive Rebounds) = Average amount of time that runs off the shot clock
Wisconsin: 33600 / 968 = 34.7 seconded used per shot clock.
NU: 28800 / 882 = 32.7 seconds used per shot clock.

Wisc makes more shots than NU. Therefore, if that take a quick shot, they mostly likely are taking a better quick shot, but they too run plenty of clock.

OMG!! I grew up on 38th and Martha... played some Baseball and football on the fields over there. And a older brother use to shoot off some model rockets off the football field.

35th and Martha, about the same era. Knew kids who went to Windsor and Norris, of course. Went to OLL myself.

Glad I opened this thread ...

This post is not a defense of Doc in any way. I am not a fan of ball movement just for the sake of ball movement.

(Total Seconds Played) / (Possessions + Offensive Rebounds) = Average amount of time that runs off the shot clock

Wisc makes more shots than NU. Therefore, if that take a quick shot, they mostly likely are taking a better quick shot, but they too run plenty of clock.

Interesting. I wonder how much of Wisconsin's TOP is used with ball movement to help open up a shot, as opposed to just plain time wasting.

I mean, compare it to football. What good is having a significant edge in TOP if you take the play clock all the way down before each snap, but have to punt at the 50 yard line each possession? It's not that hard to eat up time, but all that possession has to turn into points.

Last edited:

How the heck does Wisconsin use the whole shot clock every time? Makes no sense they can do that.

How the heck does Wisconsin use the whole shot clock every time? Makes no sense they can do that.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but shouldn't the formula be (Total Seconds Played OFFENSIVELY) / (Possesions + Offensive Rebounds)? The math is correct but the equation is wrong HWJ. Maybe I am just not seeing this correctly.

Oh, and Big "D"", don't worry fRed will be along shortly calling everyone Creighton lovers and basketball idiots who have no idea that THE MAN has a plan and we're just too impatient or simpletons who don't get it.

I remember a reporter asking Doc in his interview when hired what kind of offense he would run. He answered the question with a question, "Do you watch tennis? Baseline to baseline." What happened to that? Doc NEEDS TO GO!

Last edited:

Thanks jay, though that doesn't discredit my statement any. You used an average.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but shouldn't the formula be (Total Seconds Played OFFENSIVELY) / (Possesions + Offensive Rebounds)? The math is correct but the equation is wrong HWJ. Maybe I am just not seeing this correctly.
Good catch Impaler. You and p-ville are correct. Wisc still runs more shot clock than NU, but my seconds used are about double what the should be. That makes more sense because every once and a while a time gets a steal and a quick layout or gets a turnover then turns the ball right back over again.

Thanks jay, though that doesn't discredit my statement any. You used an average.

You are correct HBnB. Your statement was not discredit for being untrue, just for being meaningless. Wisc takes some quick shots but on average, they run more clock than NU, period.

Last edited:

Good catch Impaler. You and p-ville are correct. Wisc still runs more shot clock than NU, but my seconds used are about double what the should be. That makes more sense because every once and a while a time gets a steal and a quick layout or gets a turnover then turns the ball right back over again.

You are correct HBnB. Your statement was not discredit for being untrue, just for being meaningless. Wisc takes some quick shots but on average, they run more clock than NU, period.

Did they score points? Was it not part of the offense? I guess it wasn't meaningless after all... It seems your original stat was meaningless, considering you used the wrong data.

Did they score points? Was it not part of the offense? I guess it wasn't meaningless after all... It seems your original stat was meaningless, considering you used the wrong data.
Not the wrong data, just the wrong divisor. Wisc runs more shot clock than NU and just about every other team in the nation.

Not the wrong data, just the wrong divisor. Wisc runs more shot clock than NU and just about every other team in the nation.

lol, and it was the wrong data.

Total Seconds Played OFFENSIVELY is not the same as Total Seconds Played.

That would be the wrong data used.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wow...pretty bold to call someone's post meaningless when you yourself posted something that was so awfully wrong...class act!

Wow...pretty bold to call someone's post meaningless when you yourself posted something that was so awfully wrong...class act!

Well, you can't expect much from a guy that only gets his bball opinions from kenpom. Kenpom didn't have a response regarding my posts so he had to come up with a response of his own... the bad thing for him was my post was very much meaningful.. it is part of the equation (and a part of the offense) he SHOULD have used. The other bad thing for him was he used the wrong data making his very own post meaningless.

It's gotta hurt when you so thoroughly put your foot in your mouth, like he did.

Well, you can't expect much from a guy that only gets his bball opinions from kenpom. Kenpom didn't have a response regarding my posts so he had to come up with a response of his own... the bad thing for him was my post was very much meaningful.. it is part of the equation (and a part of the offense) he SHOULD have used. The other bad thing for him was he used the wrong data making his very own post meaningless.

It's gotta hurt when you so thoroughly put your foot in your mouth, like he did.
He's been doing it for 7 years and won't change.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back