• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Bo doing a little flirting?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Again...just because Callahan was a failure, doesn't mean Solich was the right man for the job.

Secondly, I only remember ONE poster on this board who wanted Callahan fired before the 2007 season, and I'll give him his credit right here: HuskerinOklahoma. For everyone who has participated in this thread, that includes you.

HIO might have been first, but Fred and Softie were calling for Callahan's head a lot earlier than 2007...or at least Pedey's.

HIO might have been first, but Fred and Softie were calling for Callahan's head a lot earlier than 2007...or at least Pedey's.

Pederson is a different story. I speaking only of Callahan. The only poster I ever recall asking for Callahan to be fired (before 2007) was HiO. And that includes Uncle Buck. But, UB gets major credit for correctly predicting NU's record in 2007.

Correct. He's a few months younger. He was hired at South Carolina when he was 59 years old.

Not sure... he was born in Sep '44 and hired in '05... so probably 61 or so, depending on exact timing.

But of course Spurrier was born in April '45, so he was actually probably around 60 when he was hired... again haven't looked up the exact dates of hire.

This is rather pedantic because (a) there are distinguishing circumstances such as the fact Spurrier was out of college football while he was coaching in the NFL, and (b) Spurrier is a single example, and one that may not even serve as a good one considering his results at USC have been mostly pedestrian, even by their standards.

Here's a list of '05 coaching changes. Which coaches on that list are older than Frank? How many are still in coaching? How many of those BCS conference teams (12 of them) are probably kicking themselves for not going with Frank? Most.

Not to mention that Frank may have been looking as hard at geography for himself and his family as he was at prestige of the school he pursued.

EDIT: the link: http://www.collegefootballpoll.com/coaching_changes_2005.html

Oh, and one of the criticism and major hesitations at time Spurrier was hired was that he'd care more about getting on the golf cart trails than the recruiting trail in the Carolinas. That seems to have been mostly true. Wonder if any USC fans would rather have taken a wing on a midwestern guy with no ties to the SEC.

Last edited:
Pederson is a different story. I speaking only of Callahan. The only poster I ever recall asking for Callahan to be fired (before 2007) was HiO. And that includes Uncle Buck. But, UB gets major credit for correctly predicting NU's record in 2007.

seems like a few folks were calling for Callahan's head after he called TO and old blankety or something to that effect

Well, a good number of us said that pedey had to go well before callllllllly could go, if for not other reason than we didn't want pedey making another hire.

I think you are trying to revise history, HnC.

I'm not asking you to. And you're right, Frank was a great Husker player and a great Husker assistant coach who gave his all as head coach, so you'll never hear me questioning his loyalty. And I was a very loyal supporter of his for almost forty years, but still didn't let that get in the way when it became obvious he wasn't the right man for the job. Therein lies the difference between you and me.

Definitely.

And I know what kind of person I want in a foxhole.

A guy who gives 40 years to the organization deserves more than being fired after one bad season, no matter what people think they can divine in his eyes during an ABC broadcast.

Well, a good number of us said that pedey had to go well before callllllllly could go, if for not other reason than we didn't want pedey making another hire.

I think you are trying to revise history, HnC.

Oh no, I've brought this up a few times over the years. You weren't calling for Callahan to be fired until the 2007 season, and you were against him as strongly as anyone else was. So what makes you think there were others that were calling for him to be fired before the 2007 season?

Oh no, I've brought this up a few times over the years. You weren't calling for Callahan to be fired until the 2007 season, and you were against him as strongly as anyone else was. So what makes you think there were others that were calling for him to be fired before the 2007 season?

If I recall correctly, my position, along with a few others, was that we'd be willing to let an objective and competent AD make the call, but that from what we'd seen, callllllly would never get it done (and would be fired by said objective and competent AD).

Whether we used the words "Fire Callllllly now" or said "Calllllly will never get it done at NU and will inevitably be fired," I think is a distinction without a difference, at least in terms of "giving credit" or withholding it.

Last edited:

It's pretty simple: HuskerInOklahoma is the only poster I recall asking for Callahan to be fired BEFORE the 2007 season. This isn't about withholding some credit that you apparently want.

Last edited:
It's pretty simple: HuskerInOklahoma is the only poster I recall asking for Callahan to be fired BEFORE the 2007 season. This isn't about withholding some credit that you apparently want.

Oh... your message earlier involved "giving credit."

My point was that many posters were for the firing callllllllly before '07, as long as a number of other things happened, too.

I know you like to manipulate and carve out facts to fit your message (like cutting off 2 losses in '01 and the '03 bowl win to come up with Frank's 16-12 record at the end of his NU tenure), but as you said earlier... let's give the "rest of the story."

Apparently there are quite a few somebody's that owe me an apology for all the vitriol directed my way during that horrible 4 year stretch, including the poster you've quoted.

I sure seemed to be taking a lot of heat back then for what Corp NOW says wasn't even my position.:p

I sure seemed to be taking a lot of heat back then for what Corp NOW says wasn't even my position.:p

Maybe he just didn't like that you weren't in favor of the pedey/callllly extension package that he full throatedly supported. I seem to remember he started some poll... and then pointed to it often as justification for why the 10 to 20% were so misguided.

The huge mistake made in number 1 is that it didn't happen the previous year. Even those of us who don't believe Solich was the guy think he got screwed with the way it went down. In fact, since he didn't get fired in 2002 and was allowed to basically hire a new staff he should have gotten two or three years. But none of us made that stupid decision.

Which brings up the following: It's well chronicled how completely dumbfounding it was that a guy like Pedey, who had worked in the Athletic Dept. during the glory years, could come in and singlehandedly set out to destroy the very culture that made NU great. To borrow some of your incredible hindsight, it's easy to say that Pedey was the wrong hire at this point. I'll readily admit that I was thrilled when he was hired, and I'm sure 98% of the posters on this board were, as well. But I'm willing to bet you and all your hindsight buddies would never admit to that now since you have the benefit of the rearview mirror, right? Y'all knew all along that he was the wrong guy for the job, correct?

No, unlike you I am not only capable but also happy to admit when I'm wrong. I thought Pedey was a great hire.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back