• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Bo doing a little flirting?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Several people have already explained it so I'm not sure why I want to try, but WTH.

2 is directly related to 1.

"Why the opening exists" isn't irrelevant to the pool of potential applicants.

Any decent member of that pool of potential applicants wouldn't consider the job because a huge mistake was made in 1.

This indirectly proves that a mistake was made in 1.

1 is directly related to 2

QED

The huge mistake made in number 1 is that it didn't happen the previous year. Even those of us who don't believe Solich was the guy think he got screwed with the way it went down. In fact, since he didn't get fired in 2002 and was allowed to basically hire a new staff he should have gotten two or three years. But none of us made that stupid decision.

Which brings up the following: It's well chronicled how completely dumbfounding it was that a guy like Pedey, who had worked in the Athletic Dept. during the glory years, could come in and singlehandedly set out to destroy the very culture that made NU great. To borrow some of your incredible hindsight, it's easy to say that Pedey was the wrong hire at this point. I'll readily admit that I was thrilled when he was hired, and I'm sure 98% of the posters on this board were, as well. But I'm willing to bet you and all your hindsight buddies would never admit to that now since you have the benefit of the rearview mirror, right? Y'all knew all along that he was the wrong guy for the job, correct?

The huge mistake made in number 1 is that it didn't happen the previous year. Even those of us who don't believe Solich was the guy think he got screwed with the way it went down. In fact, since he didn't get fired in 2002 and was allowed to basically hire a new staff he should have gotten two or three years. But none of us made that stupid decision.

Yep...screwed

Which brings up the following: It's well chronicled how completely dumbfounding it was that a guy like Pedey, who had worked in the Athletic Dept. during the glory years, could come in and singlehandedly set out to destroy the very culture that made NU great. To borrow some of your incredible hindsight, it's easy to say that Pedey was the wrong hire at this point. I'll readily admit that I was thrilled when he was hired, and I'm sure 98% of the posters on this board were, as well. But I'm willing to bet you and all your hindsight buddies would never admit to that now since you have the benefit of the rearview mirror, right? Y'all knew all along that he was the wrong guy for the job, correct?

Hiring Pedey was practically a given. There will be some know it alls like fRed who will tell you they didn't support it but your 98% number is probably about right. Being an AD already and being the "home boy" that people longed for after that dastardly outside Byrne was here made him the obvious hire.

And at NU.

You've played. I'm surprised how little you value the importance of assistants. There's no doubt that by '02, a few were retired on active duty and a couple of others weren't getting it done. Frank did what great HC's do: he made changes and hired some game changing assistants. That staff in '03 was pretty awesome and perfect for Nebraska.

Now that he's in Ohio, he's done the same thing again.

Frank is a great coach. The handful of BCS programs with openings in '05 are kicking themselves for not hiring him.

Of course it's not surprising he's a great coach.... he was tutored by arguably the best ever.

Then why hasn't anyone been knocking down his door to hire him? It certainly can't be an age thing - Frank beat Ahman Green in a one-armed pushup contest when he was in his fifties, and several coaches have lasted well into their seventies and even eighties. Could it possibly be they don't think as highly of his coaching abilities as you do?

I'll give you and Fred credit for one thing: Once you believe in someone you supply them with the undying love and devotion of a puppy dog...even if it's irrational or clearly lacking in objective thinking.

Again...just because Callahan was a failure, doesn't mean Solich was the right man for the job.

Secondly, I only remember ONE poster on this board who wanted Callahan fired before the 2007 season, and I'll give him his credit right here: HuskerinOklahoma. For everyone who has participated in this thread, that includes you.

Then why hasn't anyone been knocking down his door to hire him? It certainly can't be an age thing - Frank beat Ahman Green in a one-armed pushup contest when he was in his fifties, and several coaches have lasted well into their seventies and even eighties. Could it possibly be they don't think as highly of his coaching abilities as you do?

Steve Spurrier was hired at South Carolina, despite being older than Frank Solich.

You don't know that he hasn't had some calls.

And yeah, it is the age thing. I doubt he'll be coaching in 6 years (the guy is already one of the oldest active coaches, pushups or not). Snyders is only 5 years older... how many programs are banging on his door to come work for them (or were banging on his door five years ago)?

I'd say Frank's multiple COY awards indicate a lot of people agree with me and Fred. I'll defer to TO who once pointed out that some day some kid would be looking at records and note that "that Frank Solich guy was a heckuva coach."

I'll give you and Fred credit for one thing: Once you believe in someone you supply them with the undying love and devotion of a puppy dog...even if it's irrational or clearly lacking in objective thinking.

And your inability to admit you were wrong prevents you from being rational.

But I certainly feel no need to apologize for showing loyalty to a guy who was nothing but loyal to NU.

Since we've devolved into a debate about 2003, I have a question:

What coach has replaced a legend and been able to have sustainable success afterward? I haven't done any research and really am asking.

I can think of Tom Osborne as one. I'm at a loss for more. I'd imagine it gets even tougher if you narrow the gap to, say, the last 30 years?

Again...just because Callahan was a failure, doesn't mean Solich was the right man for the job.

Secondly, I only remember ONE poster on this board who wanted Callahan fired before the 2007 season, and I'll give him his credit right here: HuskerinOklahoma. For everyone who has participated in this thread, that includes you.

I'd love for HinO to chime in because he can verify that I was off board with calllllllly after the '05 loss to KU, which I still considering the worst NU loss that I can remember.

I may have for practical reasons, such as what I've argued about the '03 firing of Solich, been ok (but not happy) with giving him another year or two, but I was vocal that calllllllly would never get it done and we'd have to suffer until a minimal amount of time passed. Many had similar feelings. They certainly didn't feel extensions for callllllly and pedey was warranted.... of course some on here did, right HnC?

I'd love for HinO to chime in because he can verify that I was off board with calllllllly after the '05 loss to KU, which I still considering the worst NU loss that I can remember.

You may have not been "on board" with Callahan, but I certainly don't recall you asking that he be fired like HuskerinOklahoma did.

Last edited:

You don't know that he hasn't had some calls.

And yeah, it is the age thing. I doubt he'll be coaching in 6 years (the guy is already one of the oldest active coaches, pushups or not). Snyders is only 5 years older... how many programs are banging on his door to come work for them (or were banging on his door five years ago)?

I'd say Frank's multiple COY awards indicate a lot of people agree with me and Fred. I'll defer to TO who once pointed out that some day some kid would be looking at records and note that "that Frank Solich guy was a heckuva coach."

And your inability to admit you were wrong prevents you from being rational.

But I certainly feel no need to apologize for showing loyalty to a guy who was nothing but loyal to NU.

I'm not asking you to. And you're right, Frank was a great Husker player and a great Husker assistant coach who gave his all as head coach, so you'll never hear me questioning his loyalty. And I was a very loyal supporter of his for almost forty years, but still didn't let that get in the way when it became obvious he wasn't the right man for the job. Therein lies the difference between you and me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back