• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

How good are these Huskers?

It is hard to really tell just how good or bad this years team is at this point.. We lost to both in-state rivals, that is never good.

This is only Bolt's 3rd year, so this years isn't a make or break, but we need to see some progress!

It is hard to really tell just how good or bad this years team is at this point.. We lost to both in-state rivals, that is never good.

This is only Bolt's 3rd year, so this years isn't a make or break, but we need to see some progress!

Technically Bolt's 4th season. He coached in 2020 -- but that was only about a third of the season before it was cancelled.

It looks like we have a pretty easy schedule in the BIG, except for maybe Iowa (which will be a fun series to watch), so maybe that helps us look good in the BIG Tourney and a hopeful path to Omaha. Qualitatively, it does seem like our pitching depth is improving and we have a pretty solid offense with a couple of really good hitters in the line up. We had some studs the few last years, but seems like we are at least as good but maybe playing better as an overall team this year.

I don't get to see many games, so maybe I'm watching too much hype recap. Correct me if I'm wrong.

AT THIS POINT.. I predict NU does not make a regional!

Just going out on a limb!
Here and now, the resume probably supports that limb. But, lots of time - 21 conference games and some OOC - to fulfill potential. The optimist in me sees a team that has quite a bit of top-to-bottom talent, but needs to tighten up. The only decisive losses were probably the first two USD games and Ole Miss (yeah, I know, close losses ARE losses!). All the others have seen runners all over, just to fail getting a ball in play at a critical time to turn a single run into a crooked number. Or, on the hill, unnecessary freebies and wild pitches to move runners up and add pressure. Kids playing a sport, but the uncertainty is why they play the games (an ASU fan taunted that into my head in 1996). Keep following, stay the course, and GBR!

Let’s get today.

Here and now, the resume probably supports that limb. But, lots of time - 21 conference games and some OOC - to fulfill potential. The optimist in me sees a team that has quite a bit of top-to-bottom talent, but needs to tighten up. The only decisive losses were probably the first two USD games and Ole Miss (yeah, I know, close losses ARE losses!). All the others have seen runners all over, just to fail getting a ball in play at a critical time to turn a single run into a crooked number. Or, on the hill, unnecessary freebies and wild pitches to move runners up and add pressure. Kids playing a sport, but the uncertainty is why they play the games (an ASU fan taunted that into my head in 1996). Keep following, stay the course, and GBR!

Let’s get today.
Without a doubt plenty of time to make my comment silly.. no doubt, hopefully that is what happens. Pitching is NU’s issue right now. We have not played a lot of world beaters, and I actually understand the recent loss to Abilene Christian. That is a pretty good team!

EDIT: just not sold on Bolt as the coach just yet. He did well with the other guys players, but after they left.. not much!

Last edited:
Still early -- but the only team I'm buying from the Big Ten is Indiana.

I think the next tier includes Iowa, Michigan State, Maryland, and Nebraska. I could see ~2 teams from this group make the postseason

I don't buy Michigan. They lost 7 straight non-conference games by a combined score of 15-58. Destroyed. Yes, very good competition -- but the types of teams they'd face if they made the postseason. Note that Warren Nolan is currently predicting Michigan to finish 7th in the Big Ten with an RPI of 161.

Warren Nolan also predicts Nebraska to finish with an RPI of 121 and 4th in the Big Ten -- which probably isn't going to get the Huskers into the postseason. Going to have to win some games we aren't expected to (and there's not a lot of those remaining).

Northwestern is next up. They are pathetic -- along the same lines as Northern Colorado. 2-1 series would be acceptable, but that's really a team we should sweep.

At Iowa and at Maryland are the two series still remaining that provide a potential boost to our postseason resume.

Still early -- but the only team I'm buying from the Big Ten is Indiana.

I think the next tier includes Iowa, Michigan State, Maryland, and Nebraska. I could see ~2 teams from this group make the postseason

I don't buy Michigan. They lost 7 straight non-conference games by a combined score of 15-58. Destroyed. Yes, very good competition -- but the types of teams they'd face if they made the postseason. Note that Warren Nolan is currently predicting Michigan to finish 7th in the Big Ten with an RPI of 161.

Warren Nolan also predicts Nebraska to finish with an RPI of 121 and 4th in the Big Ten -- which probably isn't going to get the Huskers into the postseason. Going to have to win some games we aren't expected to (and there's not a lot of those remaining).

Northwestern is next up. They are pathetic -- along the same lines as Northern Colorado. 2-1 series would be acceptable, but that's really a team we should sweep.

At Iowa and at Maryland are the two series still remaining that provide a potential boost to our postseason resume.
I agree with everything here except 2-1 against NW being acceptable.

We lose 24 RPI points with each win of NW. Don’t even think of how many we lose with a loss. Our RPI plummets this week even with a sweep of NW.

Last edited:
I agree with everything here except 2-1 against NW being acceptable.

We lose 24 RPI points with each win of NW. Don’t even think of how many we lose with a loss. Our RPI plummets this week even with a sweep of NW.

3-game sweeps are never easy in baseball. Even against bad competition. Yes, 3-0 series win is far more ideal, but I won't get pissed if we go 2-1. Anything less than that is unacceptable -- and potentially damaging.

FWIW, RPI is a factor -- but it's not the only factor. If we finish 2nd in the Big Ten, we're likely in the postseason. 3rd -- possibly. 4th -- doubtful.

D1 Baseball podcast from 4/9 projects Indiana and Maryland in the postseason. Iowa, Rutgers, Michigan, and Michigan State are listed next (need to do more). Nebraska was dismissed.

Baseball America's latest has Indiana, Iowa, Maryland, and Rutgers in the postseason.

If the season ended today, we wouldn't be in. Those series against Iowa and Maryland (both on the road) are likely critical.

3-game sweeps are never easy in baseball. Even against bad competition. Yes, 3-0 series win is far more ideal, but I won't get pissed if we go 2-1. Anything less than that is unacceptable -- and potentially damaging.

FWIW, RPI is a factor -- but it's not the only factor. If we finish 2nd in the Big Ten, we're likely in the postseason. 3rd -- possibly. 4th -- doubtful.

D1 Baseball podcast from 4/9 projects Indiana and Maryland in the postseason. Iowa, Rutgers, Michigan, and Michigan State are listed next (need to do more). Nebraska was dismissed.

Baseball America's latest has Indiana, Iowa, Maryland, and Rutgers in the postseason.

If the season ended today, we wouldn't be in. Those series against Iowa and Maryland (both on the road) are likely critical.

To the first bold..
That is not a good thing for Bolt, and it shouldn't be. He took over, and with another guys players did well, once they started to leave.. he is falling flat on his face. It has only been a couple years for him, he can change things, but he better start, and soon!

To the second bold..
I would bet money only two, at most, make it! 4 teams would be something that I don't think has ever happened for the Big 10! It is, and has been, a pretty crappy baseball conference! yes, they have had a good team here and there, but overall.. not good!

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back