• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

2022 O Line, What Should We Expect?

There is so much new on this team. Having said that, I am optimistic about all of the other position groups based either on returning talent or new (admittedly unproven) personnel. I am less optimistic about the O-line but if they improve we could be solid as a team and really fun to watch. Fingers crossed!

We have had poor recruiting and poor coaching resulting in poor line play. Hope this coach can turn that around. Many want to condemn him prior to his coaching his first game here.
I disagree on the recruiting.

We have quite a few NFL Huskers over the years:

Cam Jurgens, Brendan Jaimes, Matt Farnoik, Nick Gates, Alex Lewis, Spencer Long, Marcel Jones, Keith Williams …

First four listed are current NFL players.

I know our relatively recent recruiting has been solid from a star rating perspective.

Coaching and S&C IMO are more to blame.

Cam Jurgens, Brendan Jaimes, Matt Farnoik, Nick Gates, Alex Lewis, Spencer Long, Marcel Jones, Keith Williams …

I know our relatively recent recruiting has been solid from a star rating perspective.

With the 100% figure given by SF on measurable effort this year compared to last, even admitting some frustrations of getting the O line for situational or scrimmage where they're wearing down later in the practice day is very telling.

It will be interesting as to how they adjust going into practices for NW

Listening to Scott's latest presser he had a lot of good things to say about Donny and the direction of the OL philosophy and game time attitude,... he sounded a lot more confident and at this time of the year it's all I got, and I liked it. GBR

Uncertain as to how you gage blame between two parties? Most certainly, Frost finds no fault in S&C, and it is beyond me how one might discern otherwise? He cleaned house, there was no reason to keep even a questionable coach.

Uncertain as to how you gage blame between two parties? Most certainly, Frost finds no fault in S&C, and it is beyond me how one might discern otherwise? He cleaned house, there was no reason to keep even a questionable coach.
If it isnt a talent issue then it’s gotta be something else right?

I think we universally agree that there was an issue with coaching. But that doesn’t let S&C off the hook. You’re right that it’s hard to discern whether S&C is effective but if there is one position group that reveals the results of S&C it’s the O-Line.

I think we agree that S&C seems to be better under SF than it was in previous regimes but don’t forget Zach Duval like Austin came to NU with SF from UCF. I just question whether NU is getting everything from S&C that they should.

If it isnt a talent issue then it’s gotta be something else right?

I think we universally agree that there was an issue with coaching. But that doesn’t let S&C off the hook. You’re right that it’s hard to discern whether S&C is effective but if there is one position group that reveals the results of S&C it’s the O-Line.

I think we agree that S&C seems to be better under SF than it was in previous regimes but don’t forget Zach Duval like Austin came to NU with SF from UCF. I just question whether NU is getting everything from S&C that they should.
Its one thing for strength,another for conditioning going off SFs latest comments on the O line regarding the monitors.
The conditioning aspect is shared by the coaching staff. The summer workouts come with coaching instructions/schedules etc.
I wonder if the new bar is now being set in fall camp?

It would explain SFs comments, words spoken like when Corcorans not around theres lack of leadership in the room etc.

He had exactly the same job as Donovan Raiola "Assistant O Line Coach" only with the Eagles from 2013-15 which is three years as opposed to Railoa from 2018-2021 with the Bears which is four years

So no he did not have a longer resume. As for better not sure what your basing that on

So true, except for the part about actually being an O-line coach for multiple years at the college level before being in charge at Nebraska. Austin got thrown uder the bus. Maybe Don turns things around, maybe whipple does. Maybe the young linemen actually do mature this time. But it won’t be because Raiola had an extra cube of sugar in his coffee at the NFL level.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back