• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

2022 O Line, What Should We Expect?

So true, except for the part about actually being an O-line coach for multiple years at the college level before being in charge at Nebraska. Austin got thrown uder the bus. Maybe Don turns things around, maybe whipple does. Maybe the young linemen actually do mature this time. But it won’t be because Raiola had an extra cube of sugar in his coffee at the NFL level

Maybe ;)

I am just waiting to read the article on this years OL gelling and the estimation on how long that will take.

C

7e7ca52b-e2af-4554-a8c8-4b762592efac_text.gif

I disagree on the recruiting.

We have quite a few NFL Huskers over the years:

Cam Jurgens, Brendan Jaimes, Matt Farnoik, Nick Gates, Alex Lewis, Spencer Long, Marcel Jones, Keith Williams …

First four listed are current NFL players.

I know our relatively recent recruiting has been solid from a star rating perspective.

Coaching and S&C IMO are more to blame.
Not one of them was an NFL tackle though. All G and C at that level. Jaimes was just at LT because he was half-way mobile. We need all conference play at LT.

Haven't had it in a long time. And look at how few 1k RBs. We used to have one go for 1300+ every year. Cory Ross and Ozigbo. Any others since HCFS left?

We need development and talent along the o line to get back contending for conference championships. I think DR has to be a step in the right direction purely based on how bad line play has been.

Fingers crossed.

Not one of them was an NFL tackle though. All G and C at that level. Jaimes was just at LT because he was half-way mobile. We need all conference play at LT.

Haven't had it in a long time. And look at how few 1k RBs. We used to have one go for 1300+ every year. Cory Ross and Ozigbo. Any others since HCFS left?

We need development and talent along the o line to get back contending for conference championships. I think DR has to be a step in the right direction purely based on how bad line play has been.

Fingers crossed.

1,000 Yard rushers since Frank Solich:
Abdullah in ‘13 & ‘14, Burkhead in ‘11, TMart in ‘12, Ozigbo in ‘18, Helu in ‘09

This also isn’t your Huskers of old … fewer 1,000 rushers because modern day football is bout so rush heavy.

I don’t think we necessarily need an all-conference LT … we just need capable tackles who can protect our pass game I also think we have very talented athletes at the tackle position. They need to be coached and developed.

In an effort to develop the offensive line better, Frost and his coaching staff are monitoring the main input of the productivity of the offensive linemen that measure attributes, including effort.

According to Frost, that effort is among the best he’s seen, even doubling the amount of effort that has been measured over the last couple of years of fall camp.
That is good to hear....but it is also a head-shaking puzzler to hear that so little effort was tolerated for so long.

We have had poor recruiting and poor coaching resulting in poor line play. Hope this coach can turn that around. Many want to condemn him prior to his coaching his first game here.
Saying many wanting to condemn him is as accurate as saying many want to appoint him as the next coming of Milt Tenipor. Nobody is doing either. Many have questioned the hiring that SF did considering DRs experience. Hardly condemning DR.

Last edited:

Sharp & Benning were talking about the line this morning . . . lots on how their pass blocking is probably still going to be pretty poor and that their personnel, talents and Raiola's style were better geared to the run game. So you'd think NU would be better off leaning on the run more, at least initially. Use the run game and short passing game to set up the deep shots and use the run threat/looks to set up those shots.

Question was whether Whipple would/could do that. Benning thought the answer would be "yes." For whatever that's worth. Guess we'll find out some answers soon.

Benning also really likes Applewhite and the dudes in the room this year.

I remember a few times last year when they decided to run the ball, they were pretty effective. I'm talking about put your head down and go for the offensive linemen. From what I saw, the problems came in when they got caught up thinking too much, I think that had a lot to do with the false starts also. From what I hear, the focus this year is more on getting the job done, not technique, and how to do it. if that's the case, I expect improvement.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back