• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

2022 O Line, What Should We Expect?

Raiola's hire at Nebraska is the equivalent of when Frost hired Austin at UCF. They have essentially the same resumes at that point in their careers. Except this is Nebraska not a G5 team coming off 0-12 and Frost doesn't have a runway with this hire like he did in Orlando.
Disagree.

He’s got 5 years of professional playing experience

As a coach .. similar experiences but those 5 years with 8 different teams is invaluable experience on how to coach, communication styles …

Disagree.

He’s got 5 years of professional playing experience

As a coach .. similar experiences but those 5 years with 8 different teams is invaluable experience on how to coach, communication styles …
He came from the Bears a very popular coach and has captured the players here attention in popular form.
It translates on the field it will be good.
There are no true rookies starting possibly, in what seems a long time, which at O line is a big positive as well.
While not ideal you could say at O line practice plus age is a desirable trait even without starts. It's the way it is at Iowa, Wisky etc, and here when we had good lines.
The experience/age/time on the O line shouldnt be overlooked

He came from the Bears a very popular coach and has captured the players here attention in popular form.
There are no true rookies starting possibly, in what seems a long time, which at O line is a big positive as well.
While not ideal you could say at O line practice plus age is a desirable trait even without starts. It's the way it is at Iowa, Wisky etc, and here when we had good lines.
The Bears arguably have has one of the worst rated O-Lines in the NFL. Probably has more to do with personnel, including a rookie QB, than coaching.

I think there are concerns about experience levels and injuries amongst our OL personnel. But imo some are making too much of Donovan's experience. There's been plenty of examples of veteran NFL players who went on to be college assistant coaches with less coaching experience than DR has.

The Bears arguably have has one of the worst rated O-Lines in the NFL. Probably has more to do with personnel, including a rookie QB, than coaching.

and before that Hiestand had a remarkable record of getting college offensive linemen to the NFL, and his previous stint with the Bears had a very solid offensive line as well.

That OL talent the Bears had last year was a mess really.. as my old dog trainer used to say "you can train a donkey all you want, they still aren't going to win the Kentucky derby!"

I truly believe that all of our young highly rated Tackles (Corcoran, Benhart, Teddy, etc) will make a jump from last year to this year. Same can be said for all the Olinemen.
The common factor has been coaching. To me, the recruiting rankings can’t be wrong about everyone recruited to play on the offensive line. Additionally there have been NFL players from SFs tenure that proves talent is there.

Last edited:
I would say Chubba may be more elusive, not sure about CT being quicker than AM
I guess I’m just looking at 40 time. Adrian and CT are very close there. But based on highlights, Chubba looks more elusive like Martinez was. I don’t the CT can escape pressure like them but we shall see

The only thing we really know is what is reported and quoted. Frost has consistently talked about this offensive line attacking the defense. Less thinking and more aggressive movement will be interesting to watch. Noticeable improvement in offensive line play will be a real game changer.

I guess I’m just looking at 40 time. Adrian and CT are very close there. But based on highlights, Chubba looks more elusive like Martinez was. I don’t the CT can escape pressure like them but we shall see
Multiple talents go into being elusive, not the least of which is knowing when to hold and when to fold. While AM certainly had change of direction, speed, and acceleration, the when to take off part wasn't his greatest asset. What I've seen of Thompson demonstrates a better "feel" for pocket conditions that may mitigate differences in raw movement, should there be any.

Multiple talents go into being elusive, not the least of which is knowing when to hold and when to fold. While AM certainly had change of direction, speed, and acceleration, the when to take off part wasn't his greatest asset. What I've seen of Thompson demonstrates a better "feel" for pocket conditions that may mitigate differences in raw movement, should there be any.
And to take it one further, Chubba seems to know how to get the best out of what he has.
Both arguably better arms with better awareness.
How they perform under fire could really set one or both apart from AM other than AMs sheer ability to just keep hammering away.

At some point with last years line, his instincts are telling him run, go, while his duty is to see the play through was evident, and his reads were a tad late,except his quick seam throws, the shorter ones, those were pro throws.
If he could see the entire field and anticipate like he did on those and with that accuracy, we wouldnt have had losing seasons IMO and heisman talk would be a on going theme.

Last edited:
The only thing we really know is what is reported and quoted. Frost has consistently talked about this offensive line attacking the defense. Less thinking and more aggressive movement will be interesting to watch. Noticeable improvement in offensive line play will be a real game changer.
Maybe I am just a simpleton but I was an All-Conference and honorable All-State Center for a 11 man team that lost 5 games in 4 years. Line play was pretty easy. If a 5-2, try to push NG away from running hole. If a 4-3, flow and hit off-side LB, (same with 4-4). Every single player, both line and not, knew their assignment on every play. Again, maybe it is just more complicated today than it was back then. (We ran an I formation for the most part).

Maybe I am just a simpleton but I was an All-Conference and honorable All-State Center for a 11 man team that lost 5 games in 4 years. Line play was pretty easy. If a 5-2, try to push NG away from running hole. If a 4-3, flow and hit off-side LB, (same with 4-4). Every single player, both line and not, knew their assignment on every play. Again, maybe it is just more complicated today than it was back then. (We ran an I formation for the most part).
Put an Ochaun type over center
A lot less vanilla
But I get what you're saying, but there seemed no gelling, no continuity in timing. It wasnt as if each guy wasnt doing his job, but consistency just wasnt there. Say second level backside LB wouldnt get fully blocked because timing was off etc.

Put an Ochaun type over center
A lot less vanilla
But I get what you're saying, but there seemed no gelling, no continuity in timing. It wasnt as if each guy wasnt doing his job, but consistency just wasnt there. Say second level backside LB wouldnt get fully blocked because timing was off etc.
Too age myself, I had to block Kevin Ramaekers a few games. For a 170# Center, going against him, it may as well been Ochaun. He kicked my rear (every time I blocked him at the knees he 2 hand shivered me) but he did not get a single tackle. Of course we didn't run any 1 hole runs. Was a real good friend of mine at the time (I played at Pierce, was friends with a ton of Norfolk Catholic/Battle Creek guys) but lost touch with him after I left Nebraska in 1990.

Too age myself, I had to block Kevin Ramaekers a few games. For a 170# Center, going against him, it may as well been Ochaun. He kicked my rear (every time I blocked him at the knees he 2 hand shivered me) but he did not get a single tackle. Of course we didn't run any 1 hole runs. Was a real good friend of mine at the time (I played at Pierce, was friends with a ton of Norfolk Catholic/Battle Creek guys) but lost touch with him after I left Nebraska in 1990.
Just no leap frog allowed ;)
Great story

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back