• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Conference Buy-outs

wcbsas

All Big 10
20 Year Member
Do you think that part of the conference reshuffling could result in some of the conferences saying buh-bye to current conference members?

Could NU be vulnerable?

Our lack of AAU membership, our COVID dust up, our general treatment as an outsider?

It’s hard to fathom but I’m sure the conference bylaws would allow for expulsion within certain conditions.

Our 20 years of football irrelevance is not helping in that regard also. What do you think?

NU is a huge national brand even with the lackluster results. The conference can only imagine what will happen if we start winning. No worries. Our ouster from the AAU was a parting shot from Texas and I think the powers that be in the Big Ten realize that. ND isn't an AAU member either. You think that will hurt their chances?

Last edited:
IIRC, Pearlman was quoted saying that all of the fellow former Big 12 members at the time supported Nebraska remaining in the AAU. Michigan and Wisconsin did not, however.

NU is a huge national brand even with the lackluster results. The conference can only imagine what will happen if we start winning. No worries. Our ouster from the AAU was a parting shot from Texas and I think the powers that be in the Big Ten realize that. ND isn't an AAU member either. You think that will hurt their chances?

IIRC, Pearlman was quoted saying that all of the fellow former Big 12 members at the time supported Nebraska remaining in the AAU. Michigan and Wisconsin did not, however.

Yeah, all the reports seem to indicate that Texas actually voted to keep us in the AAU. Can't really blame this one on UT.

FWIW, Syracuse also left the AAU (voluntarily) the same year as Nebraska. I'm curious if they become a potential target in all this. They're not a top-shelf candidate (see: Clemson, FSU) but if we get down to filling out those final roster slots, they have a pretty storied football program and are great in basketball.

Yeah, all the reports seem to indicate that Texas actually voted to keep us in the AAU. Can't really blame this one on UT.

FWIW, Syracuse also left the AAU (voluntarily) the same year as Nebraska. I'm curious if they become a potential target in all this. They're not a top-shelf candidate (see: Clemson, FSU) but if we get down to filling out those final roster slots, they have a pretty storied football program and are great in basketball.
Well it was reported to go quite a bit deeper than Texas' purported individual 'vote', but that's neither here nor there at this point. (Their Pres. was reported lobbying to boot us out but didn't have the balls to vote as such). The timing was suspect at best.

Being a land grant university is tough sledding in the AAU and we had been clinging on to it for several years prior so it was likely a matter of time anyway.
imho, the AAU has lost some of it's luster in recent years and has become a 'good ol boys' network, and seeing schools like ISU voluntarily giving up their membership rather than trying to convince the AAU of the benefits and obligatory needs of AG research become more trouble than it's worth. Good riddance.

NU isn't vulnerable, but if they were "kicked out" of the conference, they would be a great fit for the SEC...more emphasis on baseball and fit better in basketball. :)

I'm sure NU would have the full support of Texas.

That’s how I remember it too. Michigan was the loudest voice to getting Nebraska booted.

Do you think that part of the conference reshuffling could result in some of the conferences saying buh-bye to current conference members?

Could NU be vulnerable?

Our lack of AAU membership, our COVID dust up, our general treatment as an outsider?

It’s hard to fathom but I’m sure the conference bylaws would allow for expulsion within certain conditions.

Our 20 years of football irrelevance is not helping in that regard also. What do you think?
There are a lot of reasons it makes no sense to think Nebraska would be “expelled” from the Big 10. One of the most obvious to me is the fact that the league just added two teams WEST of Nebraska with a sizable geographic gap. Why would they WORSEN that gap for no good reason?

Even while struggling, Nebraska travels well and pulls very strong viewership numbers. They’re fine, and when they start having success on the field they’ll be a boon to the league.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back