• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Conference Buy-outs

Here’s why I don’t think schools in the Big Ten should be booted. The Big Ten functions as a cooperative organization, both on the athletic and academic sides. I think the threat of being booted would make the conference much more cut-throat, with everyone looking out for themselves. Sort of like the Big 12 when we left. No thanks.

Last edited:

Yeah, all the reports seem to indicate that Texas actually voted to keep us in the AAU. Can't really blame this one on UT.

FWIW, Syracuse also left the AAU (voluntarily) the same year as Nebraska. I'm curious if they become a potential target in all this. They're not a top-shelf candidate (see: Clemson, FSU) but if we get down to filling out those final roster slots, they have a pretty storied football program and are great in basketball.
iowa state left a few months ago because of the same criteria. aau criteria doesnt care about Ag research. never mind you can't survive without food.....

Last edited:

iowa state left a few months ago because of the same criteria. aau criteria doesnt care about Ag research. never mind you can't survive without food.....

If they don’t care, how did NU and others get in, in the first place?

There are a lot of reasons it makes no sense to think Nebraska would be “expelled” from the Big 10. One of the most obvious to me is the fact that the league just added two teams WEST of Nebraska with a sizable geographic gap. Why would they WORSEN that gap for no good reason?

Even while struggling, Nebraska travels well and pulls very strong viewership numbers. They’re fine, and when they start having success on the field they’ll be a boon to the league.
All good points but you do realize that it’s been at least one generation since NU has had success on the field. Those numbers will go down eventually unless NU reclaims some of its national identity pretty quick.

Travel considerations are way down the list of criteria. A plane flight from Madison or East Lansing is not much further (time wise and cost) than a plane flight from Lincoln.

What if the B1G decides optimal size is 20 … and they want Stanford, Oregon, Washington, UNC, ND and Duke … who’d they dump to add those schools? NU has brought minimal athletic success in f-ball and mens b-ball. It is an outsider in many ways including academics. It’s not in a media market or population center. NU really doesn’t have a lot of Olympic sports. It’s one of the lowest ranked B1G school in the Learfield Cup.

I agree arguments FOR inclusion exceed expulsion but … in these times of chaos why is this beyond the realm of comprehension?

Last edited:
”beyond the realm of comprehension”? Pretty condescending here. I think I’m done responding if that’s the way you’re going to treat people.

”beyond the realm of comprehension”? Pretty condescending here. I think I’m done responding if that’s the way you’re going to treat people.
Was not intended to be anywhere near condescending. You said “There are a lot of reasons it makes no sense …”.

I wasn’t attacking you nor your message. Just trying to have a dialogue.

Was not intended to be anywhere near condescending. You said “There are a lot of reasons it makes no sense …”.

I wasn’t attacking you nor your message. Just trying to have a dialogue.
Fair enough. The phrasing came across differently to me.

I think I’ll bow out of this thread anyway, as I don’t really see the value in exploring this hypothetical. What was the last time a conference expelled a member? If Penn State and MSU could weather their horrible crises, I think Nebraska having disappointing results on the field can also be weathered. Nebraska’s sins look pretty small in comparison.

I think I’ll bow out of this thread anyway, as I don’t really see the value in exploring this hypothetical. What was the last time a conference expelled a member? If Penn State and MSU could weather their horrible crises, I think Nebraska having disappointing results on the field can also be weathered. Nebraska’s sins look pretty small in comparison.
True on Penn State … sorry if I offended.

All good points but you do realize that it’s been at least one generation since NU has had success on the field. Those numbers will go down eventually unless NU reclaims some of its national identity pretty quick.

Travel considerations are way down the list of criteria. A plane flight from Madison or East Lansing is not much further (time wise and cost) than a plane flight from Lincoln.

What if the B1G decides optimal size is 20 … and they want Stanford, Oregon, Washington, UNC, ND and Duke … who’d they dump to add those schools? NU has brought minimal athletic success in f-ball and mens b-ball. It is an outsider in many ways including academics. It’s not in a media market or population center. NU really doesn’t have a lot of Olympic sports. It’s one of the lowest ranked B1G school in the Learfield Cup.

I agree arguments FOR inclusion exceed expulsion but … in these times of chaos why is this beyond the realm of comprehension?
2008-2014 was very solid. Won bowl games, and should have beaten Georgia twice instead of once. Also, should have 2 Big 12 titles as well. It’s all about the coach, not the program as to why NU has struggled. ‘They gotta adjust to us’. Remember?

Just point of reference. Alabama, 1993-2007, 15 years prior to Saban, 84-80, good for 55th best in the country.

Nebraska the past 15 years. 105-83, good for 50th best.

Last edited:
Tv viewership alone should be enough to keep us in the B1G. From the numbers I've seen we are top 20-25 nationally with a losing team, ahead of newcomer UCLA, current members like NW, Indiana, Rutgers, and rumored targets like Stanford, Oregon, Duke, etc.

If expansion really is about the money, we aren't going anywhere.

He did say you made fair points, so I didn’t view it as condescending. No need to bow out. You’ve definitely made some solid views on this, for sure.

Last edited:

Tv viewership alone should be enough to keep us in the B1G. From the numbers I've seen we are top 20-25 nationally with a losing team, ahead of newcomer UCLA, current members like NW, Indiana, Rutgers, and rumored targets like Stanford, Oregon, Duke, etc.

If expansion really is about the money, we aren't going anywhere.
Just imagine if NU can just start winning? Damn, I mean, it’s all there to win. Stadium, facilities, support, passion, fan base. I mean, crap, just win some games and it can explode again.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back