• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Mark Whipple for OC?

Feeling good about this. Helped coach the Steelers and Big Ben (QB coach) to Super Bowl win in 2005. Hope he brings the QB in the pic with him. (If he is the hire)

Attachments

• 1F3F3435-D868-4864-8E99-721D104A5AE3.jpeg
    1F3F3435-D868-4864-8E99-721D104A5AE3.jpeg
    374.3 KB · Views: 79

Ya'll know "Family Reasons" can also be, "Nebraska is just easier living"....

Oh, and it probably shouldn't matter that his wife, Brenda, is a Peru State College Alum....

I kid....I kid........

:Stirthepot:

I've probably watched more Mark Whipple coached games than anyone on this site. I really like him, but not for Lincoln and definitely not for the B1G. He is always the first to move away from establishing the run. You can look at pass/run splits, but when push comes to shove, he defaults to the air game. Playing in the B12 or P12, I can see his offense working nicely. But if anyone on this board is going to tell you he is balanced in his approach when it matters most, they are mistaken. His rushing offenses are always mid to low tier and the style played would not be considered physical at all. Now, if you are one of those folks who wants to chuck it all over Lincoln, then you got your man.

And lets not forget he is a terrible recruiter. Always has been. Struggled mightily. He could have had a powerhouse (for that level) at UMass, but he's not very motivated on the trail. If he is hired, I assume Scott will not be leaning on him for that, which I think is a mistake. Being at DONU, you need all hands on deck in the recruiting efforts. We don't live in Florida.

Last edited:
Agreed. Poaching a coordinator from a team that just win a P5 championship seems like a pretty great result, particularly a team that was 3rd in the nation in scoring. Were people expecting Frost to hire Urban Meyer as his coordinator?

One thing I’d like about Whipple is his maturity. He’s a guy that can help Frost with some seasoning. Would love to find a good source to break down Pitt’s offense for us.
This is a good post.

“Exciting“ hire isnt really what we need.

I’ll take maturity and experience under pressure…a steady hand on the tiller while Scott navigates the road ahead.

This could be a sneaky good hire. You add his QB/Heisman/Broyles nominee fire to Mickey’s recent WR run…should be a massive upgrade in both coaching and recruiting those two positions. Put him with a solid OL coach and we could be back in bidness.

Last edited:

I've probably watched more Mark Whipple coached games than anyone on this site. I really like him, but not for Lincoln and definitely not for the B1G. He is always the first to move away from establishing the run. You can look at pass/run splits, but when push comes to shove, he defaults to the air game. Playing the in B12 or P12, I can see his offense working nicely. But if anyone on this board is going to tell you he is balanced in his approach when it matters most, they are mistaken.

And lets not forget he is a terrible recruiter. Always has been. Struggled mightily. He could have had a powerhouse (for that level) at UMass, but he's not very motivated on the trail. If he is hired, I assume Scott will not be leaning on him for that, which I think is a mistake. Being at DONU, you need all hands on deck in the recruiting efforts. We don't live in Florida.
“I had a top 5 scoring offense, top 5 passing offense and a Heisman candidate In 2021.”

Repeat to every top QB until you get a commit. Just need one a year and/or one out of the portal, and you’re done recruiting.

With those recent credentials, how much difficulty would recruiting pose to him? More or less than Verduzco?

I’m not sure how to read this. I’m not sure I recall someone resigning…..and not announcing that he was moving to another program all at the same time.

Assuming his ‘Family issue’ isn’t that they want to relocate to Lincoln, hence my ‘No’
I have yet to see any proof/mention other than in headlines that suggest it of this resignation being for family reasons. I bet Whipple to Neb is a done deal.

“I had a top 5 scoring offense, top 5 passing offense and a Heisman candidate In 2021.”

Repeat to every top QB until you get a commit. Just need one a year and/or one out of the portal, and you’re done recruiting.

With those recent credentials, how much difficulty would recruiting pose to him? More or less than Verduzco?
It would be really nice if our OC is responsible for recruiting more than one player each year. Verdu was the QB coach. Whipple would be QB and OC. Big, big difference.

Last edited:

I've probably watched more Mark Whipple coached games than anyone on this site. I really like him, but not for Lincoln and definitely not for the B1G. He is always the first to move away from establishing the run. You can look at pass/run splits, but when push comes to shove, he defaults to the air game. Playing the in B12 or P12, I can see his offense working nicely. But if anyone on this board is going to tell you he is balanced in his approach when it matters most, they are mistaken.

If Whipple isn't much of a recruiter, then we can't keep Ron Brown. No way can we afford two sub-par recruiters.

Granted, this is based on the huge assumption Whipple is even interested in Nebraska.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back