• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Nebraska vs Michigan State Game Thread

Don't fumble, don't get rid of the ball and take a sack, don't throw a pick. No matter how many good things any one player does, he cannot continue to do the bad things at the wrong time.
We wouldn’t be in the situations we are in if ST and OL play improve. Toure ran about the worst slant I’ve ever seen in my life on the interception, got way too deep and allowed the defender to make a play. Hard to get rid of the ball when you have 3/4 guys from a 4 man rush on you in less that 2 seconds.

I’m just shocked at how bad the running game has been. Held should be on the list to go.
I disagree. The OL has been among the worst I’ve seen in recent memory. Either a scheme or coaching change needs to occur, then see what the RBs do

Could it be a bad play call? Just throwing out more options. :thumbsup:
Always a possibility.

Watching the replay, it’s a tight throw in a crucial situation, but if the receiver runs what I’m spitballing AM thought he was going to do, and what I’m spitballing he does in practice, it’s likely a catch.

Hard for me to put that entirely, maybe even mostly, on AM.

I have 3 points to prove to you that this was most DEFINITELY not on Martinez

1. Since our OL can’t block, he was pressure on more than HALF of his throws, that’s going to lead to turnovers.

2. Special teams had: a punt return TD, a 50 yard KO that lead straight to a field goal, a 7 yard punt that almost lead to another field goal, and a drop on a return that should’ve yielded some field position.

3. We get stuffed at the point of attack on literally every handoff, what else can we do? If you can’t establish a run game, you have to throw. If you can’t block in pass pro, you can’t do anything. Martinez himself kept us in that game with multiple 3rd down scrambles that lead to points. Had he not escaped those almost assured sacks (smothers sure wouldn’t have), we lose that game by 15+.
If it wasn’t for his long run where he got late hit out of bounds (not called of course) this game was a Neb loss long before OT. And I don’t think Frost got out coached- I actually think he out coached Tucker tonight. But, the special teams weaknesses couldn’t be overcome (again)

Guys, AM was our ONLY offense tonight. You do realize that right? Yeah he ain’t perfect and he sort of messed up that last play but he’s the LEAST of our offensive problems right now. He’s our offensive star
Its ultimately all on Frost...including having AM as NUs really only viable QB. No one else in the portal would come because Frost and AM are tied at the hip

I respect your eternally optimistic viewpoint on things Huskers football. Often you are a voice of reason during a(nother) trying season. That being said, holding coaches & players (and himself) accountable for repeated mistakes/poor performance is not something Frost does well (or, at times, arguably at all). It's like deja vu all over again (sorry, Yogi) each game w/r/t turnovers, penalties, poor blocking, special team gaffes, etc., leading to yet another gut-wrenching way to lose a game.

In the end, P5 college football is a bottom line business (wins/losses/championships) and the results (or lack thereof) under Frost speak for themselves. Or do moral victories count and while accountability is optional in today's environment? All of us watching Husker football games and posting on forums such as this one want the best for the program, even if a return to the level of success enjoyed during the 90s likely isn't in the cards. Hopefully the AD will objectively assess the situation at the appropriate time and take remedial action(s) he deems warranted.

GBR!!

No argument it is a business more so everyday

Always a possibility.

Watching the replay, it’s a tight throw in a crucial situation, but if the receiver runs what I’m spitballing AM thought he was going to do, and what I’m spitballing he does in practice, it’s likely a catch.

Hard for me to put that entirely, maybe even mostly, on AM.
It indeed looked like a lazy ass slant.

We wouldn’t be in the situations we are in if ST and OL play improve. Toure ran about the worst slant I’ve ever seen in my life on the interception, got way too deep and allowed the defender to make a play. Hard to get rid of the ball when you have 3/4 guys from a 4 man rush on you in less that 2 seconds.
Simply put, the bad is currently out weighing the good. Hw has to play smart All of the time, not just periodically. And, I agree, he doesn't have much support.

Last edited:

I used to watch this game then have a fist fight with one of my buddies to get the angst out. Now that I’ve moved across the country I only have you guys to bounce this stuff off of… thanks… I think….

I have 3 points to prove to you that this was most DEFINITELY not on Martinez

1. Since our OL can’t block, he was pressure on more than HALF of his throws, that’s going to lead to turnovers.

2. Special teams had: a punt return TD, a 50 yard KO that lead straight to a field goal, a 7 yard punt that almost lead to another field goal, and a drop on a return that should’ve yielded some field position.

3. We get stuffed at the point of attack on literally every handoff, what else can we do? If you can’t establish a run game, you have to throw. If you can’t block in pass pro, you can’t do anything. Martinez himself kept us in that game with multiple 3rd down scrambles that lead to points. Had he not escaped those almost assured sacks (smothers sure wouldn’t have), we lose that game by 15+.
AMs overall W-L record and turnover numbers say hello.:Wave:

Without AM, we'd have struggled to score much if any tonight. So far this year he's been waaay more of a positive than negative. Punt the ball to the right guy and we likely win.
But Smoothers got us one first down then we punted. Heard the same thing last year and why we should go with McCaffery. AM is 80% of what offense we have and he keeps getting daggers thrown his way. You obviously get it.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back