• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

“Worst Coaching Job Ever!”

I hear all the time...........this is on him now. As if the lame ass excuse that it was all Rileys fault all along was really not on Frost.
Most coaches can make teams better without blaming other staffs.
Frost used excuse after excuse to make it look like it was not him that was doing a poor job in year 1 and 2. But it WAS him
We fell for it because we couldnt believe it was him after seeing what he did in year 2 at UCF. But it WAS him. Hes just run out of the ability to pawn it off on everyone else at this point
Years ago, when the rumor first was pushed that Frost was looking to come back to Lincoln either as a coordinator or replacement HC for Pelini, I pointed out that he hadn't accomplished anything that makes me feel like he was qualified to handle a job like this one in Lincoln. As a WR coach at Oregon, not once under his watch was any of the players at his position an All Conference finisher. Not one was drafted.... Then Kelly leaves and he is promoted to OC under the new coach. I pointed out that it's hard for me to believe he's the one directing the offense since the then HC was also under Kelly and was the OC during that time. Frost gets the job at UCF and many use that as proof that SF is fit to make it happen in Lincoln. Neither of those programs are anything comparable to Nebraska neither by history nor their "then" current state. Different types of athletes, different atmosphere, different fanbase, etc.......

Replacing Riley, I was strongly in favor of, but hated that Frost was pretty much the only option to be that replacement simply because of his history as a player here. Frost if anything should have been looked at as a position coach and molded to be able to take over the program he played for. This is not the same Nebraska he came out the tunnel with back in the 90s. College Football isn't even the same.

I thought that after hiring and firing a .500 coach, we'd go out and look for a proven winner. Frost's pedigree indicated that he was a winner, albeit without the experience.

I hope next time we look for a experienced, proven winner. I know those guyes aren't a dime a dozen and judging potential can be a crap shoot, which is exactly why we need eliminate "Husker ties" to our selection criteria so there are more viable candidates to choose from.

I thought that after hiring and firing a .500 coach, we'd go out and look for a proven winner. Frost's pedigree indicated that he was a winner, albeit without the experience.

I hope next time we look for a experienced, proven winner. I know those guyes aren't a dime a dozen and judging potential can be a crap shoot, which is exactly why we need eliminate "Husker ties" to our selection criteria so there are more viable candidates to choose from.

Furthermore, I think we might be better off hiring someone without Husker ties, given our overall performance over the last 17 years.

No he wasn't:
2016: 6-7
2017: 13-0

But I wanted him anyway because he was from Nebraska, had played for Dr.Tom, had the support of all the former DONU players and said he would bring back the Nebraska way.

I was worth the shot to hire him, everyone else would have hired him if we didnt, but unfortunately he has one hugh flaw:

He does not learn from his mistakes.

We all are young in chosen fields, we all make mistakes. IF we choose to succeed, and to achieve respect in our fields, we learn from our mistakes, take council from our mentors and grow.

For whatever reason, over these three years, Scott has not done that, his teams show that, and for that reason DONU must move on.

GBR

No he wasn't:

But I wanted him anyway because he was from Nebraska, had played for Dr.Tom, had the support of all the former DONU players and said he would bring back the Nebraska way.

I was worth the shot to hire him, everyone else would have hired him if we didnt, but unfortunately he has one hugh flaw:

We all are young in chosen fields, we all make mistakes. IF we choose to succeed, and to achieve respect in our fields, we learn from our mistakes, take council from our mentors and grow.

For whatever reason, over these three years, Scott has not done that, his teams show that, and for that reason DONU must move on.

GBR
I wonder what the collective of the former players that were there to celebrate and support Frost when he was hired have to think about where we are now. I know a handful have spoken out, but would like to know if they are outliers or if the majority feel the way they do.

No he wasn't:

GBR
I said his pedigree, not his coaching experience. As a coach, he did turn an 0-12 team into a 13-0 team with a signature win against an SEC team in two years.

I love his loyalty.

But, his unbending loyalty in this case is not good.

Please please please don't make Husker ties a requirement. The pool is pretty shallow on that end.
With Trev Alberts leading the search, it would be easy to see him lean toward a no BS, control the line of scrimmage, running the ball first, and stop the run philosophy coach.

Bottom line-- we have not hired a man with "proven experience at building and coaching a winning college program" since TO left. Think about that. Why the heck not???????

solich- had only been college assistant.
callahan-- pro game is totally different animal.
pellini--no explanation necessary.
riley-- oregon state (exactly my point!). Is this a model to emulate? Of course not.
frost-- inherited enough talent at Central Florida to create an illusion. He did not build or sustain the program prior to arrival at NU.

We have gambled 5 times and lost each time. WHY? WHY? WHY?

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back