• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

In Defense of Scott Frost

Status
Not open for further replies.
People who compare Frost's record to Riley's record are missing the point. Riley inherited a more talented team from Pelini than Frost inherited from Riley. But while Frost began his head coaching tenure at Nebraska with a nearly empty cupboard, he appears to have succeeded in upgrading the talent across the board (based on what we saw this spring). Again, the talent is unproven, but it looks like we have more physical and athletic players than we have had in a long time. I think we will see a better team this season.

If the team continues to stumble this year and next, I will freely admit that I was wrong. We'll see how things play out.
Riley may have gained more talent but it wasn't significantly more. What Riley also "gained" was a team full of players that loved Bo Pelini and were pissed off at his firing. Did you ever hear Riley complain about the culture? SF got a team that should have been all in when he took over after going undefeated and being named coach of the year but I know for some it easier to call the Riley players a bunch of lazy malcontents that couldn't even find the weight room with a map. Funny how those same players continued to play and were some of the most productive on the team.

I was thrilled with the hire and was thrilled at the direction of the program after the last half of the first season. Absurd is the length some will go to excuse away the obvious mistakes that have been made and to continue to blame 12-20 on the former coach going into year 4. In subtle and not so subtle ways SF himself plays that same blame game. Good leaders with great vision don't need to blame their predecessors for lack of immediate results. You see positive little changes and sometimes big changes incrementally that confirm your faith in their ability. Good leaders are not excuse makers. Good leaders don't try to appease shareholders with rumors of descension and culture problems. Good leaders accept responsibility for failures and deflect successful achievement to the team. Maybe he gets it done this year but to me he's the same thinned skinned QB that for years could not "forgive" Nebraska fans for booing his first year and the same FAN that found it was easy to lay blame at the feet of past Nebraska coaches. I know my critique is harsh and it may appear that I don't root for his success but that couldn't be farther from the truth. I am not emotionally invested in any team like I am the Huskers and I would be thrilled to get back to even Pelini level winning. I don't care who is manning that ship when and if it happens.

Exhibit A

I actually believe the cupboard was really bare. The guys you mentioned are good but not all conference type players. They would be nice pieces if we had a couple super stars. I’m on record as never being a big believer in the Davis twins.
Who are the all conference types that SF has developed?

The cupboard was not empty. It wasn't great but this argument is tired. The Davis twins, Stanley (best receiver Frost has had), Ozigbo (best RB), Luke Gifford, etc, etc. Yes they have upgraded the roster at spots but don't act like what he inherited was completely devoid of talent.
So far the best players to come out of the Frost era were recruited by Riley. Weird, I know.

Who are the all conference types that SF has developed?
None so far! I believe moving Jurgens was a wise move. I believe he could be all conference this year. Cocoran and Bernhardt I believe will be before they leave. I believe Ty Robinson could be also. Dommann is close. CTB is damn close. Some of these guys haven’t been here long enough to be developed into all conference. I thought Adrienne could be after his freshman year.

It is completely disappointing that in just 3 years Frost didn't have Bama like results in the NFL draft. Oh well, time to open up the checkbook for Saban.

You know this is a BS argument that no one is making so why do it? You're not this intellectually lazy. No one, let me yell it for the hard of hearing, NO ONE IS EXPECTING SABAN RESULTS HERE. NOT A DAMN SOUL EXPECTS THAT. But how about Iowa or Wisconsin? Is that too much? Maybe set the bar a little lower even. Can we have Minnesota results? PJ managed to turn a roster over and develop what he had then beat NU with lower rated classes.

2015: Losing record; went to bowl game on a technicality; lost several 1-score games because the team didn't have the will to finish.

2016: 9-win season against the easiest schedule in memory. Or does everyone forget when we were 7-0, ranked in the top 10, and all the ESPN dudes laughing at us being undefeated (shortly before we took a big fall). Then getting stomped by Iowa to finish off the year (and losing to anyone with a pulse).

It's unfortunate that history only really focuses on the W-L record, i.e. it doesn't matter if we lose to Iowa or Wisconsin on a last-second FG 5 years in a row, the L still shows up on the record, just as much as if it were a 50-point blowout. And the "displacement" doesn't indicate the "acceleration", i.e. the W-L record doesn't give any clue as to if the team is getting better or gravitating into mediocrity.

Even counting the number of 1-score losses to compare MR to SF doesn't provide accurate data. Losing a 1-score game because you keep shooting yourself in the foot with penalties (but still giving good effort) is totally different from losing a 1-score game because you don't have the fortitude to finish. But those who use statistics to compare coaching success don't take those things into account.
"The will to finish"??? Maybe you should strap on the pads and demonstrate. Maybe you forgot about the one loss games that SF has had. Maybe you forgot about the will to finish when we last beat Wisconsin or last beat a playoff team or last one a bowl game. Riley is what he is but as I'm sure SF appreciates fans like you enabling him and excusing his mistakes away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back