• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Guys standing around in practice?

gazelle

Recruit
2 Year Member
One thing I have noticed in the practice videos being put out is that in the station drills there seems to be one guy doing the drill and 4 or 5 guys standing behind him waiting for their turn. In the mini-scrimmages it seems like there are 11 guys on offense, 11 on defense, and about 50 guys standing on the sidelines watching. It just seems like there is a lot of standing around during practice...at least what I can tell from the little snippets of video I have seen.

First of all, for those who have seen some of Scott Frost's practices, is that the case, or am I just not seeing things correctly? I have never been to a practice so I may be totally wrong, which is fine with me. I hope I am wrong.

Second, one of the criticisms of Mike Riley is that the first stringers got all the reps in practice and everyone else just kind of sat on their helmets and watched. I thought one of the reasons for having a big walk-on program is so they can run multiple stations and get more reps for everyone. Are we not doing that?

I would welcome comments, especially from those who have been to a practice and seen how things are run by Frost and his crew.

One thing I have noticed in the practice videos being put out is that in the station drills there seems to be one guy doing the drill and 4 or 5 guys standing behind him waiting for their turn. In the mini-scrimmages it seems like there are 11 guys on offense, 11 on defense, and about 50 guys standing on the sidelines watching. It just seems like there is a lot of standing around during practice...at least what I can tell from the little snippets of video I have seen.

First of all, for those who have seen some of Scott Frost's practices, is that the case, or am I just not seeing things correctly? I have never been to a practice so I may be totally wrong, which is fine with me. I hope I am wrong.

Second, one of the criticisms of Mike Riley is that the first stringers got all the reps in practice and everyone else just kind of sat on their helmets and watched. I thought one of the reasons for having a big walk-on program is so they can run multiple stations and get more reps for everyone. Are we not doing that?

I would welcome comments, especially from those who have been to a practice and seen how things are run by Frost and his crew.
Good question, I suspect I know the answer, but looking for someone who has seen practice to let us know.

You could be onto something.

For the likes of me Frost should know better. Being everyone on Osborne's teams got reps.

In the past, we criticized them for not taking the time to make corrections in practice. Perhaps there is an emphasis now on quality of reps versus quantity? Don’t know. Just hop3 that whatever they are doing, it reaps results on game days.

Crossed my mind too. But what do I know.

I would have to say i have seen a good mix of both. There are many drills with multiple players running at the same time. Particularly the Oline. I have noticed in the WR drills i have seen though only 1 per. As soon as the qb throws the ball and the next qb steps in ready to go. Which indicates them being run quickly. BTW the comment about scrimmage seems a bit silly. TO did run drills in the opposite direction. He did not run multiple scrimmages at the same time. TO also had a staff that had been together for average 20 years. He could trust his staff to see what he did not. SF has a group that averages about 4. Big difference.

I personally like having the walkons, but i think managing 160+ players is more difficult than managing 110-115 players. Im not gonna second guess Frosts ŕeasons on this, but our top 3 teams get less personal coaching because they do spend time with player # 111-160. I hope they get it figured out.

Last edited:

That criticism of MR is false. Second and third string players got reps. The premise that only 22 players are getting practice reps is just someone grinding an axe.

C

The thought that no one was ever standing around at a TO run practice is becoming the stuff of legend. It is just not true. They used to run 4 stations to move through team offense and team defense which would get the maximum number of players involved at a time. Even when that is running at peak efficiency only 88 players are going at one time.

When you are working indy, and group there is always going to be a little standing around.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back