• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Guys standing around in practice?

One thing I have noticed in the practice videos being put out is that in the station drills there seems to be one guy doing the drill and 4 or 5 guys standing behind him waiting for their turn. In the mini-scrimmages it seems like there are 11 guys on offense, 11 on defense, and about 50 guys standing on the sidelines watching. It just seems like there is a lot of standing around during practice...at least what I can tell from the little snippets of video I have seen.

First of all, for those who have seen some of Scott Frost's practices, is that the case, or am I just not seeing things correctly? I have never been to a practice so I may be totally wrong, which is fine with me. I hope I am wrong.

Second, one of the criticisms of Mike Riley is that the first stringers got all the reps in practice and everyone else just kind of sat on their helmets and watched. I thought one of the reasons for having a big walk-on program is so they can run multiple stations and get more reps for everyone. Are we not doing that?

I would welcome comments, especially from those who have been to a practice and seen how things are run by Frost and his crew.

Still waiting for someone who has been to one of Scott Frost's practices to comment..... Like I said, I would be glad to be told that I am wrong in my observation. In fact, I hope I am wrong.

middleageballcoach...shortsideoption...would either of you like to comment. I know you two have been to some practices.

Still waiting for someone who has been to one of Scott Frost's practices to comment..... Like I said, I would be glad to be told that I am wrong in my observation. In fact, I hope I am wrong.

middleageballcoach...shortsideoption...would either of you like to comment. I know you two have been to some practices.
I’m here to please

You’re wrong... now be happy

I haven't been to one yet this year, but I'd be very surprised if they've dramatically shifted. In the past they were as efficient at keeping everybody involved as any team that I've personally ever observed.

Are you basing your concerns on what you've seen in highlight Tweet videos? If so, that's almost certainly deceptive. The one time when there are people standing around is when they shift into 11-on-11 scrimmage portions of the practice (sometimes for an offensive series or two at the goal line, sometimes for game-like series at midfield: both have refs, down markers, etc.). They want to mimic a big game environment during those practice periods (usually about 10-20 minutes each), so they have defense on one sideline, offense on the other, and it's loud and live, as much like a game as possible. Those also happen to be the times when there is the most full contact, and where there's a better context for video highlights of big plays.

Those situations require limiting who's actively participating, but even then they are substituting players liberally. Short-yardage units have to sub in and out, as needed, in real time, just like in a game.

P.S.--You should be sure to insert my user name in a comment if you want me to respond. I wouldn't have responded here except another poster sent me a PM. I spend very little time on the main boards anymore.

Last edited:

Well I don't usually repost anything I see on Twitter, but since we are on the topic, this was taken at Saturday's practice, to help put things into context:

1618260358115.png

I haven't been to one yet this year, but I'd be very surprised if they've dramatically shifted. In the past they were as efficient at keeping everybody involved as any team that I've personally ever observed.

Are you basing your concerns on what you've seen in highlight Tweet videos? If so, that's almost certainly deceptive. The one time when there are people standing around is when they shift into 11-on-11 scrimmage portions of the practice (sometimes for an offensive series or two at the goal line, sometimes for game-like series at midfield: both have refs, down markers, etc.). They want to mimic a big game environment during those practice periods (usually about 10-20 minutes each), so they have defense on one sideline, offense on the other, and it's loud and live, as much like a game as possible. Those also happen to be the times when there is the most full contact, and where there's a better context for video highlights of big plays.

Those situations require limiting who's actively participating, but even then they are substituting players liberally. Short-yardage units have to sub in and out, as needed, in real time, just like in a game.

P.S.--You should be sure to insert my user name in a comment if you want me to respond. I wouldn't have responded here except another poster sent me a PM. I spend very little time on the main boards anymore.

Thanks for the response. I haven't been to a Scott Frost practice nor do I know anyone personally who has so I can only base my observations on the snippets of practice video put out by the school and by various newspapers. Not only in scrimmages do you see lots of guys standing around, but when they show various drills being run I usually see one guy going through the drill and a few guys standing behind him waiting for their turn to do the drill. It just seems like a lot of guys are standing around a lot of the time, at least in the videos I have seen.

Since you have been to some practices and you say the coaches are running things efficiently that eases my mind.

The thought that no one was ever standing around at a TO run practice is becoming the stuff of legend. It is just not true. They used to run 4 stations to move through team offense and team defense which would get the maximum number of players involved at a time. Even when that is running at peak efficiency only 88 players are going at one time.

When you are working indy, and group there is always going to be a little standing around.
^

First your wrong, second how do you know those two have been to practice? You can’t get anything from those video clips. I don’t Even have to watch practice to know that.

First your wrong, second how do you know those two have been to practice? You can’t get anything from those video clips. I don’t Even have to watch practice to know that.

shortsideoption and middleageballcoach have both been to some practices since Scott Frost took over as coach. They have both made that clear in past comments. I have no reason to doubt them so I will take them at their word. Because of that, their comments to my question would certainly be relevant to this discussion. If you watch the videos they clearly show guys going through drills while other guys stand behind them waiting their turn. Thus my question as to whether there are lots of guys standing around during practice.

I phrased my thread title as a question because I don't know if it is true or not that lots of practice time is spent with guys standing around watching as opposed to having multiple stations where more players can participate. You state that I am wrong. Fine. What is your proof for this statement? Have you been to practice or do you know people who have and can comment about my question? If so let's hear your reasoning for why I am wrong.

shortsideoption and middleageballcoach have both been to some practices since Scott Frost took over as coach. They have both made that clear in past comments. I have no reason to doubt them so I will take them at their word. Because of that, their comments to my question would certainly be relevant to this discussion. If you watch the videos they clearly show guys going through drills while other guys stand behind them waiting their turn. Thus my question as to whether there are lots of guys standing around during practice.

I phrased my thread title as a question because I don't know if it is true or not that lots of practice time is spent with guys standing around watching as opposed to having multiple stations where more players can participate. You state that I am wrong. Fine. What is your proof for this statement? Have you been to practice or do you know people who have and can comment about my question? If so let's hear your reasoning for why I am wrong.

There is only one QB coach so he can only watch one at a time. Therefore it seems logical that one throws, then the next and so on. Same for all the other positions. Only one WR coach to watch his group so one runs the route while one QB throws the route. Seems logical to me. I think it really is situational based on the drills being run at the time. Sometimes it is one, sometimes it is multiple players. Where and when it is appropriate there are multiple stations for a position so that multiple players of a group are getting work.

C

One thing I have noticed in the practice videos being put out is that in the station drills there seems to be one guy doing the drill and 4 or 5 guys standing behind him waiting for their turn. In the mini-scrimmages it seems like there are 11 guys on offense, 11 on defense, and about 50 guys standing on the sidelines watching. It just seems like there is a lot of standing around during practice...at least what I can tell from the little snippets of video I have seen.

First of all, for those who have seen some of Scott Frost's practices, is that the case, or am I just not seeing things correctly? I have never been to a practice so I may be totally wrong, which is fine with me. I hope I am wrong.

Second, one of the criticisms of Mike Riley is that the first stringers got all the reps in practice and everyone else just kind of sat on their helmets and watched. I thought one of the reasons for having a big walk-on program is so they can run multiple stations and get more reps for everyone. Are we not doing that?

I would welcome comments, especially from those who have been to a practice and seen how things are run by Frost and his crew.
Frost played on a National Championship team he played for Walsh at Stanford, played 6 seasons in the NFL and he coached an undefeated team at UCF. I’ll trust his ability to run a practice.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back