• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

111 freshmen and only 30 upper classmen

At this point, it doesn't matter if we are young, old, incontinent or whatever, Frost has to win....period. He has used up his mulligans by false predictions and missteps over the last 3 years. You can analyze it all day long, and try to blame our woes on youth, but we aren't the only "young" team in the country. We may be young, but none of the teams on the schedule give a rat's ass. They are going to come after us just like Minnesota and Illinois did.....if youth leads to another losing season Frost is in trouble regardless....The younger players seem like an upgrade in talent, so I'm hoping that they will figure out how to execute for more than 7 or 8 plays in a row, turn the corner and be successful in the win-loss column. But, Frost also needs to up his game in the coaching dept, because several of the losses the past 3 years have not been due to youth....

Last edited:

At this point, it doesn't matter if we are young, old, incontinent or whatever, Frost has to win....period. He has used up his mulligans by false predictions and missteps over the last 3 years. You can analyze it all day long, and try to blame our woes on youth, but we aren't the only "young" team in the country. We may be young, but none of the teams on the schedule give a rat's ass. They are going to come after us just like Minnesota and Illinois did.....if youth leads to another losing season Frost is in trouble regardless....The younger players seem like an upgrade in talent, so I'm hoping that they will figure out how to execute for more than 7 or 8 plays in a row, turn the corner and be successful in the win-loss column. But, Frost also needs to up his game in the coaching dept, because several of the losses the past 3 years have not been due to youth....
This wasnt about Frost, but inevitably it has to be.
All the write ups on SF has been, when he gets his guys,and I'M talking national writers.
Well, he has his guys, and yes, they are young, and yes, we will look different, whether thats a good thing or not, who knows.

I'm just throwing in the other component of winning football games, the players

By my count there are:
28 Sophomores
22 Juniors
8 Seniors
....and the rest are freshmen, but of course some of them saw action in 2020.

So yes, we are young, but its not like there is no experience at all coming back.
True, upper classmen have at least 14 of the two deep in numbers, but likely more after spring.
But consider you two deep as potentially over 40 guys, more than half the team will be underclassmen, and I'm being generous, and hope its even more tilted towards the youth for obvious reasons

So.....Frank, I'm going to make a statement here. You know me well enough to take it at face value.

Nebraska plays like they did in most of the last three years in 2021 and you won't be hearing 'We're young' from me. If it's absolutely 'Same ole, same ole', then I'm not going to be excited for year five. I'll be pissed and ready to look for what's next.

We play markedly improved football, but still fall short of my stated goal of a winning season and a bowl and I will evaluate at seasons end.

I'm pretty confident we're going to be having a 'Surprised' kind of conversation this coming December. Surprised in a good way, IMAO.
I agree with you at every point but the last. I'm not confident, but I'm hopeful. I'd rather succeed with Frost than any other coach outside of Tom mf Osborne. I have too many Iowa and Wisconsin fans in my circle for my blood pressure to continue with same ole same ole.

I agree with you at every point but the last. I'm not confident, but I'm hopeful. I'd rather succeed with Frost than any other coach outside of Tom mf Osborne. I have too many Iowa and Wisconsin fans in my circle for my blood pressure to continue with same ole same ole.
Lets do the ol, he who laughs last laughs last on those....guys.
Lets hope these guys are the answer

I like Crab’s statement.....This team has been totally remade from the bottom up....

Let’s leave it at that and hope for the positives that can come from this.

I don’t know about you but the team I have watched for the last four years needed to be rebuilt from the bottom up.....

And certainly there comes a point when the constant pain is just too much and you need to try something different. We get that. Everybody gets that.

I personally want to see “clean football” this year Especially from the offensive of side of the ball.
We lead the nation in games lost by one score or less in the last three years.

If we have just hard hitting, clean football, improvements in special teams, and some solid unspectacular play from our offense with fewer tunovers, I think our defense will carry us through and those one score games will turn into wins.

And quite frankly I’ve been watching Big Ten football now for 10 years. Basically, that’s how the VAST majority of games are won in the BiG.....

Besides Ohio State, nobody really has flashy, super high powered offenses. The team that wins in the Big Ten makes the fewest mistakes, hits damned hard all game. Has solid special teams and solid defenses.

And that’s what I want to see next season. More of us adapting to the Big Ten....then the Big Ten adapting to us:)

True, but name another team with 111frosh on it,whom were effected the most by covid?

We are extremely young, have been. We would have lost a total of 8 guys off the team in a normal year, make it 9 with our LB who retired.
5 return, three go pro route, 1 retires.

No one has these numbers, very few had them last year compared to us.
We lost guys/experience in numbers that sound high,but remember, three of those guys, and others, played as freshmen too, over foru years, thats alot of game over so few guys.

I am not concerned about replacing O linemen or a db, or even a middle backer.
RB, yes, but we have depth there, and a good transfer in Stepp.

But this team, these 111 guys, plus the 28 sophomores, who are they?
I see a lot of guessing going on, like theyre assuredly just like the guys before them, the few before them, but how do we know that, when these guys are better athletes and have better body types etc etc.
We dont know what type of team we will really have at this point, and anyone saying this is going to happen or that is going tp happen because it always does, they dont know either.

This year will be an intriguing year, full of unknowns, literally and figuratively, and it starts in 11 days, where its time to step up and reshape this team.

Not going to go into the youth/talent stuff but something in your post got me thinking.

The RB room for SF recruits so far has not been impressive to me. Best RB in 2018 was Ozigbo which is totally understandable. Best in 2019 and 2020 was Mills who was a transfer. If Stepp is the best RB, while I applaud them for getting him out of the transfer portal, it leaves me with even more concern about RB recruiting and development. To think after 4 seasons and not a single Held recruit has risen to the top is not good. Not only top but the number 2, 3, and 4 rushers these past 3 seasons have been QB's and Wandale with problem child Maurice getting 4th in 2019 just ahead of Luke. Does not give me the warm fuzzies about Held and his RB room.

C

I may be missing many things in this discussion, but I have never undestood the argument that the roster needed to be rebuilt and now folks are saying it took three yeas to do that.

The "old roster that needed to be rebuilt" had a 19-19 record under that coach, even though the AD had placed a lot of restraints (or so this board says) on what he could do to get players, many of which have now been removed in the SF regime.

This coach in three years is no where near break even on wins and losses, but I don't see how it can be blamed on a roster that was 500- with more hindrances from the AD.

I just don't get that argument.

Not going to go into the youth/talent stuff but something in your post got me thinking.

The RB room for SF recruits so far has not been impressive to me. Best RB in 2018 was Ozigbo which is totally understandable. Best in 2019 and 2020 was Mills who was a transfer. If Stepp is the best RB, while I applaud them for getting him out of the transfer portal, it leaves me with even more concern about RB recruiting and development. To think after 4 seasons and not a single Held recruit has risen to the top is not good. Not only top but the number 2, 3, and 4 rushers these past 3 seasons have been QB's and Wandale with problem child Maurice getting 4th in 2019 just ahead of Luke. Does not give me the warm fuzzies about Held and his RB room.

C
Mo was the real del, so theres one. Mills looked good, and weve had nothing but freshmen.
Rahmir might turn out, might not,Scott looked okay as a frosh, and learning too.
Ervins bigger, so is Morrison, and weve seen neither of them, and Thomkins appears hurt.
We dont know who had the virus, so as to who played, not sure between injury, the vir
rus and coaches wanting more how everything shook out.
Johnsons the only one weve really seen much, and Scott or one game.

Theyre all back, and theres nothing to really be imressed about at this point,because none have played much at all, or not at all.
Yant could be our bruiser back at this point, and Stepp our hammer and we go heavy.
Until we see them, its an unknown at this point, but I myself am not writing off Morrison or Ervin or Yant of Scott or even Thomkins or Johnson.
Lets see how this unfolds, if someone shines, we will hear about it.

One more thing, besides Mo and the other juco, who was on our team, the kid from Omaha? From MR?
There wasnt much to inherit year one, and again Mo looked the part as a freshman.
The next year we had a juco and Johnson, plus Mo and another juco, to fill depth.
We have too many right now, and depth will arrive this year like many other places its been missing, but, we will still be young.

Last edited:
I like Crab’s statement.....This team has been totally remade from the bottom up....

Let’s leave it at that and hope for the positives that can come from this.

I don’t know about you but the team I have watched for the last four years needed to be rebuilt from the bottom up.....

:)
Well Frost certainly hit bottom with these teams so yea..... Seems like only one way to go (I hope) after 3 long seasons of losing football and no bowl games for Nebraska!!

I may be missing many things in this discussion, but I have never understood the argument that the roster needed to be rebuilt and now folks are saying it took three yeas to do that.

The "old roster that needed to be rebuilt" had a 19-19 record under that coach, even though the AD had placed a lot of restraints (or so this board says) on what he could do to get players, many of which have now been removed in the SF regime.

This coach in three years is no where near break even on wins and losses, but I don't see how it can be blamed on a roster that was 500- with more hindrances from the AD.

I just don't get that argument.
We didnt have much for LBs, but we kept recruiting, a bunch left, one is a solid one,the rest, not so much.
There were no real young wrs other than JD, besides the one who left, Lindsay.
Our O line we kept, which had two walkons starting, and Farniok and Jaimes, both started early, because there was no depth then at all.

We had two good dbs, short on safeties.
Both qbs left,now when I say left, all but POB left on their own.
D line was decent, TE room was decent.
One decent rb.
So, you either fill and recruit, or you play lesser athletes.
We'd already been doing that under MR, the only wr he recruited was JD, the rb who had bad knees, Jaimes and farniok, POB and Gebbia, Cam was coming anyways, and he recruited the TEs.
It HAD to be rebuilt, and sure, fans can say SF should have tried harder to keep that LB or that qb, but that still wasnt enough.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back