• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Creighton coach McDermott apologized

There will aways be overreaction to everything and from all areas. IMO what mostly matters is who those people are and how many of them there are. I agree we'll see how it plays out. So far it's 1 game suspension and I feel that's reasonable with all things considered.
1 game suspension is reasonable? Dude, you are so out there.

If it never became public, IMO it would be ok to not do anything if the players were truly ok with it. Once the coach made it public I fully understand the University stepping in with the suspension.

Just as if the only one that ever found out about Bill's BJ by Monica was Hilary. Then the only "justice" action take should have been by Hillaary. Once it because public, because of who Bill is as public figure and face of the country etc, the govt should have stepped in and given some sort of punishment.

If it never became public, IMO it would be ok to not do anything if the players were truly ok with it. Once the coach made it public I fully understand the University stepping in with the suspension.

Just as if the only one that ever found out about Bill's BJ by Monica was Hilary. Then the only "justice" action take should have been by Hillaary. Once it because public, because of who Bill is as public figure and face of the country etc, the govt should have stepped in and given some sort of punishment.
1615049774721.png

I truly can't make sense of what you mean here. That a phrase if common for years... (stay on the plantation is common?) If so..common how...in public to say or in private? "some people took offense" Does this mean you don't really feel it's offensive. In fact it seems there is a near consensus that it is clearly offensive and probably even a majority in this forum wild say it is.

Do you see a lack of consistency that you downplay a coach telling a team full of Black players to not leave the plantation as only being offensive to "some people" and it's a "stupid world" where he could get suspended for a game...but yet at the same time call me, for years over and over, an anti-semite for being overly critical of Israel's actions vs Palestinians. Say it away you want...that I focus on it too much etc. It seems pretty clear to me you are overly understanding and willing to give the benefit of the doubt on the former and are very sensitive, overly looking to be offended and make very damning assumptions on the latter.

I'm saying the context of him saying it clearly shows he wasn't being literal as if Creighton is a plantation and his players are slaves. It shouldn't take much thinking to realize that. If people are offended by that, then that is certainly their right to be offended. A simple explanation and an apology should be more than sufficient. But suspending him for any length of time is absurd and a sign of the times. I'd suggest instead of any locker room speeches, coaches should ask lawyers to read prepared statements to the team.

I'm saying the context of him saying it clearly shows he wasn't being literal as if Creighton is a plantation and his players are slaves. It shouldn't take much thinking to realize that. If people are offended by that, then that is certainly their right to be offended. A simple explanation and an apology should be more than sufficient. But suspending him for any length of time is absurd and a sign of the times. I'd suggest instead of any locker room speeches, coaches should ask lawyers to read prepared statements to the team.

What was your take when one of The Squad congresswomen tweeted "it's all about the Benjamins"?

What was your take when one of The Squad congresswomen tweeted "it's all about the Benjamins"?

You just can't help yourself. An elected official is slightly different than a basketball coach or someone in the private sector, so it's not anywhere near a valid comparison. And the statements are also nowhere near the same thing.
With all that said, I was not in favor of forcing her to resign for that statement.

Do you realize that you're supporting a climate that would negatively affect you? You'd be fired for at least 5 things a day that you post on here.

You just can't help yourself. An elected official is slightly different than a basketball coach or someone in the private sector, so it's not anywhere near a valid comparison. And the statements are also nowhere near the same thing.
With all that said, I was not in favor of forcing her to resign for that statement.

Do you realize that you're supporting a climate that would negatively affect you? You'd be fired for at least 5 things a day that you post on here.

You're all over the place and frankly not making much sense. You point out that the coach wasn't literally saying Creigthon is a plantatin and the players aren't literally slaves. As if there was any questions in the tiny slightest that anyone thought he meant it literally.... I really don't know why you said that and it's hard to get past the fact you did say it.

and I already said why I feel it's very reasonable to do a game suspension...because it went public. again...the same way Clinton should have at least been censured for Monica. If it hadn't been public it shoddy have just been between he and his wife.

and I made a very valid and good point that you ignored here whether you want to acknowledge it or not.

cactusboy said:

Do you see a lack of consistency that you downplay a coach telling a team full of Black players to not leave the plantation as only being offensive to "some people" and it's a "stupid world" where he could get suspended for a game...but yet at the same time call me, for years over and over, an anti-semite for being overly critical of Israel's actions vs Palestinians. Say it away you want...that I focus on it too much etc. It seems pretty clear to me you are overly understanding and willing to give the benefit of the doubt on the former and are very sensitive, overly looking to be offended and make very damning assumptions on the latter.

Last edited:
As they say in the mid-South, I don't have a "horse" in that race! However, with that said, perception is almost everything. I don't know if any of us has not said (or thought) perhaps several things that are hurtful/offensive to others. I do believe Coach McD's days are numbered. We must be better. He (and all of us) are called to be role models for everyone else. His image is "larger than life," or lack thereof. I should say, was ... I think it's a pretty safe "bet" that he won't win an Emmy, nor should he...

You're all over the place and frankly not making much sense. You point out that the coach wasn't literally saying Creigthon is a plantatin and the players aren't literally slaves. As if there was any questions in the tiny slightest that anyone thought he meant it literally.... I really don't know why you said that and it's hard to get past the fact you did say it.

and I already said why I feel it's very reasonable to do a game suspension...because it went public. again...the same way Clinton should have at least been censured for Monica. If it hadn't been public it shoddy have just been between he and his wife.

and I made a very valid and good point that you ignored here whether you want to acknowledge it or not.

cactusboy said:

You don't ever make very valid points. Someone misspeaking in this manner should not almost lose their job.

As they say in the mid-South, I don't have a "horse" in that race! However, with that said, perception is almost everything. I don't know if any of us has not said (or thought) perhaps several things that are hurtful/offensive to others. I do believe Coach McD's days are numbered. We must be better. He (and all of us) are called to be role models for everyone else. His image is "larger than life," or lack thereof. I should say, was ... I think it's a pretty safe "bet" that he won't win an Emmy, nor should he...

Then I guess we need a list of every saying, analogy, metaphor, simile,and slang word that is acceptable in today's society. Because at this point, I have no idea.

I feel this was all done for optics, and he will be at creighton for as long as he wants. But I have been wrong more than right. Not saying what he said wasn't wrong but he got out in front and has the support of the players and admin and as of now it doesn't appear anyone is calling for his head. This will all go away soon.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back