• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Creighton coach McDermott apologized

And potentially every word in the dictionary. Thanks for continuing to prove my point. Find a word, claim it to be something nefarious, and therefore it is, without any other consideration.

Only if you want to take the most superficial simplistic take. Of course there are other options besides the 2 extreme you seem to want to only consider

Right...like looking at the intent of the person using the words...something you have dismissed.

Thanks again for making the point.

I haven’t at all. In fact I made a reply earlier to the other dude that was all about consideration of intent.

Now as far as intent of the coach. We can only guess by what we know of him. I’d say his family and close friend have the best idea. His players should have a good idea of it too. I suspect it was an honest non-Ill intended slip. I think that even more since it seems the players didn’t want him to resign

Last edited:
I haven’t at all. In fact I made a reply earlier to the other dude that was all about consideration of intent.

Now as far as intent of the coach. We can only guess by what we know of him. I’d say his family and close friend have the best idea. His players should have a good idea of it too. I suspect it was an honest non-Ill intended slip. I think that even more since it seems the players didn’t want him to resign
Again, you’re making my point. If there’s no I’ll intent, it’s not a ‘slip’...except for peeps being told to be offended by words.

Again, you’re making my point. If there’s no I’ll intent, it’s not a ‘slip’...except for peeps being told to be offended by words.

Go read my reply to the other dude.

1- it’s rare to know the real intent. Surely you are we can’t only go by their own word.

2- I meant slip with no bad intent. He probably meant off the reservation. Which is way more understandable for not realizing it’s negative meaning

1- it’s rare to know the real intent. Surely you are we can’t only go by their own word.

2- I meant slip with no bad intent. He probably meant off the reservation. Which is way more understandable for not realizing it’s negative meaning
Why? We forced them from their lands. Broke treaties...Killed their women and children....Kept them in poverty conditions...Still to this day.

Are you now racist against indians?.....or was that not your intent in saying that....?

It’s almost as if we’re back to the point of a word being offensive because people have declared the word to be offensive...oh wait.

Why? We forced them from their lands. Broke treaties...Killed their women and children....Kept them in poverty conditions...Still to this day.

Are you now racist against indians?.....or was that not your intent in saying that....?

Why is it more understanding that he may not be aware of the negative meaning of "off the reservation"?

Because it has a bit of mixed meaning/understanding today, but originated as negative.

It’s almost as if we’re back to the point of a word being offensive because people have declared the word to be offensive...oh wait.

It's almost as if you're a lawyer obfuscating like a lawyer...

Don't answer questions, ignore inconvenient points made, distract from both - aka do whatever it takes to "win".

It's almost as if you're a lawyer obfuscating like a lawyer...

Don't answer questions, ignore inconvenient points made, distract from both - aka do whatever it takes to "win".
Um...my point has always been that generic words that don’t have a derogatory beginning are words that offend people because they’ve been told to be offended by them.

You’re the one who went off the rails.

Um...my point has always been that generic words that don’t have a derogatory beginning are words that offend people because they’ve been told to be offended by them.

You’re the one who went off the rails.

Even if, how does that apply to "off the plantation" or "off the reservation"? I showed the latter phrase for sure does. Do you need a link on the former phrase?

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back