• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

O-Town Boys

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gee I wonder why? The combination of Disco, Eichorst getting himself fired because he's an idiot, a staff way over their heads, and a team that quit might have had something to do with all that. There's no comparison.

Disco Eichorst? Now that's funny, I'm curious how you came up with that name? I hate the guy, but laughed when I read this

Hopefully the 5/31 dead period won't be extended. Maybe make the coaches wear masks? The dead period is not helping us, but is not an excuse either. Because we aren't winning or going to bowl games, the only way to turn the two Omaha kids is in person visits. Not sure emails, texts, zooms, etc can turn the tide.

Really other than keeping in contact with any kids we're interested in, regardless of their interest in Nebraska, what can be done?

You get a kid who wants to go out of state and you're really pissing up a rope trying to change his mind. How much time do you spend trying to get a kid to show some interest before ultimately signing elsewhere? Wouldn't that time have been better spent focusing on a kid who DID show interest in being part of Nebraska Football? Seems like an easy choice to me.
I agree completely. Stay in contact, but at some point you’re just wasting time and resources on players who are going elsewhere. Jackson will end up at a program that’s ready to compete for a championship now. He’s not going to Nebraska. Woods, I’d say we might have a very very small chance of him changing his mind. Spend your valuable time and resources on kids who have a serious interest in playing football at Nebraska.

I agree completely. Stay in contact, but at some point you’re just wasting time and resources on players who are going elsewhere. Jackson will end up at a program that’s ready to compete for a championship now. He’s not going to Nebraska. Woods, I’d say we might have a very very small chance of him changing his mind. Spend your valuable time and resources on kids who have a serious interest in playing football at Nebraska.

Yep.

'We want you to be a Husker.'

'Let us know if you need anything.'

I recruit Superintendents and Project Managers and some just aren't ready to make a jump.

Stay in touch. Keep cordial and passively recruit. It works on occasion, but I still need to fill the positions I need to fill.

Hopefully the 5/31 dead period won't be extended. Maybe make the coaches wear masks? The dead period is not helping us, but is not an excuse either. Because we aren't winning or going to bowl games, the only way to turn the two Omaha kids is in person visits. Not sure emails, texts, zooms, etc can turn the tide.
I agree. The dead period is potentially devastating to programs like ours. The NCAA remains a joke of an organized imo.

Really other than keeping in contact with any kids we're interested in, regardless of their interest in Nebraska, what can be done?

You get a kid who wants to go out of state and you're really pissing up a rope trying to change his mind. How much time do you spend trying to get a kid to show some interest before ultimately signing elsewhere? Wouldn't that time have been better spent focusing on a kid who DID show interest in being part of Nebraska Football? Seems like an easy choice to me.
I think we saw some of this under MR, never under Bo, too cut and dried.
I think this staff has much more savvy than this, reads the kids better, and all show and tell, but as said by almost every recruit, signed or unsigned, theyre straight shooters, which gives as good a chance as any, without having to go too far in a negative direction.

Will this create a bigger grass is greener from the local kids? Possibly, but its the Nebraska way, but without the winning, the grass is the color it currently is.
So, it comes down to rebuild, whether a kid wants part of that or not,I think plays as big a part on a kid with little ties to our past,or local team fan, as anything.

Eliminate the latter, no need to rebuild, we have arrived, only betters our chances

All treatment is objective. Agreed. I think you meant to say 'Too critical' and you get your access to the program cut off? I get that. Or maybe you're saying that 'Fair' includes 'critical' and that's not allowed? I'm sure most programs are more supportive of positive media converge for obvious reasons, but I hope we're not just shutting down all critical thought.

Either way, it's an interesting dynamic.

We also have an interesting dynamic going on here on this board right now. Three distinct groups. One group thinks they've seen things to give them optimism for this staff, but is and will continue to be critical of things they think are mistakes. One thinks everything is roses and any criticism is not allowed (or a slight variation thereof) and another that thinks pretty much everything this staff has done or not done is crap. No exceptions. Those three are oversimplified for sake of brevity, but you get the gist.

We've got ourselves backed in a corner right now. This season is really going to be a big one for the program and the fan base. I have no doubt some here will cling to the thought that 'We're building something and headed in the right direction' even with another 4 win season, while some will continue to shake the 'Abject failure, 12-20' cow bell for anything short of a B1G Championship.

I'll still be in the group that calls it like I see it. That likely won't make the 'All is grand' group happy nor the 'This staff sucks' group happy, but that's not what I'm here for.

I meant fair is subjective, but I was dealing with the rare all day hangover when I posted that.

/begin rant/
There's some serious divisiveness / energy vampire Karma surrounding this program, this state, this fan base, this fishbowl & this community - continual grass is greener elsewhere envy, smear campaigns, criticism, negative chatter, digging up several year old hot mic tapes to justify firing a 70%+ win rate HC, releasing tapes of player only meetings, incessant fan base second guessing, low self program esteem projection, binary Championship or cr@p thinking, a lack of core pride in the brand....

until "that" is exorcised & brand faith restored... IMO no coach can truly fix what ails Nebraska Football.
/end rant/

I didn't grow up with much new stuff, so I guess I've always had somewhat of a lets make this work attitude (a Nebraska / midwest work ethic :Nsmilie:) - which is kind of why I really don't enjoy talk of firings & changing directions. Frank, Bill, Bo, Mike, Scott (so far) haven't lived up to our hopes & expectations- but could they have with tweaks? - I've always believed so (some much more than others ;) ) I guess that's where I come from most of the time & remain firmly today.

Frankly, I don't care about HC records elsewhere - the BobFather did well at Wyoming prior to coming to Lincoln & built a great program over several decades (both as a coach & as an AD / protector of his choice to succeed him). Heck a number of coaches passed through Laramie en route to success elsewhere (Pat Dye, Fred Akers, Dennis Erickson, Joe Tiller, Paul Roach) - I think it speaks to commitment/dedication as much as smarts. Dr Tom is a CFB legend & the Greatest CFB HC in history - we don't have a record elsewhere for comparison - but he definitely evolved and made numerous tweaks during his time here and it took time to get to where we all want to be.

This staff allowed an LB with one hand to excel, shine & go on to the NFL (they could certainly do the same for Jackson) - DONU has the most Outland trophy winners, no reason Woods couldn't have a shot just an hour from home - but if they don't see it or have that belief, best they move on - it's all about faith. I see signs of progress, getting closer and more competitive & definitely believe we can come together & fix this thing. :Sign2cents:

Last edited:
/begin rant/
There's some serious divisiveness / energy vampire Karma surrounding this program, this state, this fan base, this fishbowl & this community - continual grass is greener elsewhere envy, smear campaigns, criticism, negative chatter, digging up several year old hot mic tapes to justify firing a 70%+ win rate HC, releasing tapes of player only meetings, incessant fan base second guessing, low self program esteem projection, binary Championship or cr@p thinking, a lack of core pride in the brand....

until "that" is exorcised & brand faith restored... IMO no coach can truly fix what ails Nebraska Football.
/end rant/

I didn't grow up with much new stuff, so I guess I've always had somewhat of a lets make this work attitude (a Nebraska / midwest work ethic :Nsmilie:) - which is kind of why I really don't enjoy talk of firings & changing directions. Frank, Bill, Bo, Mike, Scott (so far) haven't lived up to our hopes & expectations- but could they have with tweaks? - I've always believed so (some much more than others ;) ) I guess that's where I come from most of the time & remain firmly today.

Frankly, I don't care about HC records elsewhere - the BobFather did well at Wyoming prior to coming to Lincoln & built a great program over several decades (both as a coach & as an AD / protector of his choice to succeed him). Heck a number of coaches passed through Laramie en route to success elsewhere (Pat Dye, Fred Akers, Dennis Erickson, Joe Tiller, Paul Roach) - I think it speaks to commitment/dedication as much as smarts. Dr Tom is a CFB legend & the Greatest CFB HC in history - we don't have a record elsewhere for comparison - but he definitely evolved and made numerous tweaks during his time here and it took time to get to where we all want to be.

This staff allowed an LB with one hand to excel, shine & go on to the NFL (they could certainly do the same for Jackson) - DONU has the most Outland trophy winners, no reason Woods couldn't have a shot just an hour from home - but if they don't see it or have that belief, best they move on - it's all about faith. I see signs of progress, getting closer and more competitive & definitely believe we can come together & fix this thing. :Sign2cents:
Yep

I agree that there's more to the story. FWIW, I do have some local coaching sources that are friends and I don't put out everything I know about recruiting efforts.

I've already accepted that we won't get the 2 Bell West kids, the Central kid and the Burke kid. Although the 2 kids from Bell West are very good prospects, they hurt a little less because of last year's haul at TE. What I think most agree on is that because Nebraska hasn't been winning, kids aren't as interested and many kids in Omaha moved here from somewhere else or their parents moved here from somewhere else. They did a good job on Prohaska, Fidone, Heinrich (dad went to iowa), Hickman, Bretz, "but" and it's a big "but" the Omaha kids probably have to be recruited harder than someone outside of the Omaha area. Now, some people can take that as criticizing the staff, but I just think it's reality. Because of the lack of official visits, 2022 will be a challenging for Nebraska's recruiting. Hopefully, 5/31/ will be the final extension of no visits. If Nebraska struggles in 2021 more than expected, it could get a little ugly. Although I've generally been critical of Frost, I do think we need to give him a 5th year unless next year is a complete dumpster fire. Firing coaches hasn't improved our program going back to Frank Solich. Yes Callahan and Riley need to be fired. I just hope this nightmare we have been living in ends soon.
Another great post. And I agree, at least with Jackson and Woods. Without even knowing how long they or their families have been in Omaha, like Dickerson, there was "almost" 0 chance they go to Nebraska. And, from what I gathered (at least with Woods) it was not due to the staff. Now for the other 2 O town prospects? Like you said (and I mentioned in previous posts) we absolutely loaded up on TE's last year and will have 2023 TE prospect Brahmer. So I can see why they would be looking elsewhere. Plus, let's be honest. Nebraska has kinda been running on 5 of 8 cylinders, so until everything so clickings, that is also something for the "me" generation to consider.

How is it that we put out about 7 million offers a year and yet we don't offer really talented kids just over the state line?

It's baffling. I guess he's either not good enough or big enough to play in Nebraska's 3-4, although Wisconsin disagrees. The Badgers have offered 13 NGs compared to 27 for Nebraska, and 16 DL total compared to 60 Husker offers. Hunter Deyo isn't an overlap offer for both schools? A kid who plays an hour from campus and is regarded as a four-star prospect by 247Sports, Rivals and ESPN, and has offers from 3-4 schools like Wisconsin and Oregon and no offer?

Makes zero sense to me. The staff could have been tag teaming and multitasking by touching bases with him while they full-court pressed Fidone the past 18+ months.

I disagreed with them when they ignored Logan Jones in 2020, and Deyo's exclusion is a mistake as well IMPO.

It's baffling. I guess he's either not good enough or big enough to play in Nebraska's 3-4, although Wisconsin disagrees. The Badgers have offered 13 NGs compared to 27 for Nebraska, and 16 DL total compared to 60 Husker offers. Hunter Deyo isn't an overlap offer for both schools? A kid who plays an hour from campus and is regarded as a four-star prospect by 247Sports, Rivals and ESPN, and has offers from 3-4 schools like Wisconsin and Oregon and no offer?

Makes zero sense to me. The staff could have been tag teaming and multitasking by touching bases with him while they full-court pressed Fidone the past 18+ months.

I disagreed with them when they ignored Logan Jones in 2020, and Deyo's exclusion is a mistake as well IMPO.
Its possible there has been conversations,especially since Fadone was in the middle, and Logan tried recruiting Thomas to iowa, my guess is, conversations have already taken place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back