• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

O-Town Boys

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ahhh.

Are there any who’re just fair? Not guys who are constantly ‘hype men’ or pissing on the programs shoes?
I guess fair is objective isn't it? Too fair and you get your access to the program cut off. The tenor in the media during Riley's third year sure seemed more critical despite Riley actually having a winning season the year before.

I guess fair is objective isn't it? Too fair and you get your access to the program cut off. The tenor in the media during Riley's third year sure seemed more critical despite Riley actually having a winning season the year before.

Gee I wonder why? The combination of Disco, Eichorst getting himself fired because he's an idiot, a staff way over their heads, and a team that quit might have had something to do with all that. There's no comparison.

Gee I wonder why? The combination of Disco, Eichorst getting himself fired because he's an idiot, a staff way over their heads, and a team that quit might have had something to do with all that. There's no comparison.
1. I was glad he was fired

2. He had a better record at NU than Frost through 3 years. I'm not advocating for Frost to be fired, but the mental gymnastics going on to excuse his lack of success has been wild.

1. I was glad he was fired

2. He had a better record at NU than Frost through 3 years. I'm not advocating for Frost to be fired, but the mental gymnastics going on to excuse his lack of success has been wild.

You can't compare the two. It's not even close. What they inherited, the level of embarrassing losses, team quitting during the game, etc.
That doesn't excuse Frost's record so far, because it sucks. Being better than Riley doesn't make Frosts performance so far acceptable.

You can't compare the two. It's not even close. What they inherited, the level of embarrassing losses, team quitting during the game, etc.
That doesn't excuse Frost's record so far, because it sucks. Being better than Riley doesn't make Frosts performance so far acceptable.

One coach inherited a fan base that was fully behind him from the start, a competent AD that only serves to support and not meddle, and didn't have to deal with a bunch of players that hated seeing the previous coach fired and were told not to trust anyone associated with the university. One coach came to a program where at least 50% didn't want him there in the first place. Fans had their pitchforks out even after the first loss in the BYU Hail Mary. Yeah, no damn wonder the players eventually gave up -- there was so little support from what was a pathetic display by our fans. Every damn week it was "this is what happens when you hire a .500 coach!" His successor had a red carpet laid out for him -- and even after three straight losing seasons still has more support than the previous coach ever did.

Yeah, Frost has had a much easier path to success. Interestingly, he's had fewer head cases with the players he inherited from Riley than his own. But alas, Frost has struggled mightily with player relations.

One coach was mediocre to poor. His successor is somehow even worse. Regardless, I'm still behind him in 2021 because his success means my team will be successful. But to this point, he's in the running for the worst coach in NU football history. There is truly zero evidence as of today that Frost is better than Riley. But we're scraping the bottom of the barrel with that debate -- and we shouldn't have to.

Last edited:
In the entire history of Nebraska football, there's been two head coaches with three straight losing seasons.

Bill Jennings and Scott Frost.

With a couple notable differences between the two.

Jennings was simply next up in an extended period of bad football. From 1941 through 1956, Nebraska had a .387 winning percentage -- 125th nationally. Jennings just added to that rotten era upon his arrival in 1957 -- and stuck around mostly because he had an occasional big win -- beat ranked Pitt his second season, beat ranked rival OU his third season, beat ranked Texas his fourth season (Frost is 0-8 against ranked teams).

Last edited:

All treatment is objective. Agreed. I think you meant to say 'Too critical' and you get your access to the program cut off? I get that. Or maybe you're saying that 'Fair' includes 'critical' and that's not allowed? I'm sure most programs are more supportive of positive media converge for obvious reasons, but I hope we're not just shutting down all critical thought.

Either way, it's an interesting dynamic.

We also have an interesting dynamic going on here on this board right now. Three distinct groups. One group thinks they've seen things to give them optimism for this staff, but is and will continue to be critical of things they think are mistakes. One thinks everything is roses and any criticism is not allowed (or a slight variation thereof) and another that thinks pretty much everything this staff has done or not done is crap. No exceptions. Those three are oversimplified for sake of brevity, but you get the gist.

We've got ourselves backed in a corner right now. This season is really going to be a big one for the program and the fan base. I have no doubt some here will cling to the thought that 'We're building something and headed in the right direction' even with another 4 win season, while some will continue to shake the 'Abject failure, 12-20' cow bell for anything short of a B1G Championship.

I'll still be in the group that calls it like I see it. That likely won't make the 'All is grand' group happy nor the 'This staff sucks' group happy, but that's not what I'm here for.

Riley loses by 4 to an 8-win Northern Illinois in his 3rd season, and funeral preparations began.

Frost loses by 18 to a 2-win Illinois team (who fired their coach) in his 3rd season, and the mantra is Frost needs more time.

Yeah, the treatment of these two coaches is vastly different.

To be fair, people were picking out the casket when he was standing at the podium in his introductory news conference back in December of '14.

'Career .500 coach' ring any bells?

One coach inherited a fan base that was fully behind him from the start, a competent AD that only serves to support and not meddle, and didn't have to deal with a bunch of players that hated seeing the previous coach fired and were told not to trust anyone associated with the university. One coach came to a program where at least 50% didn't want him there in the first place. Fans had their pitchforks out even after the first loss in the BYU Hail Mary. Yeah, no damn wonder the players eventually gave up -- there was so little support from what was a pathetic display by our fans. Every damn week it was "this is what happens when you hire a .500 coach!" His successor had a red carpet laid out for him -- and even after three straight losing seasons still has more support than the previous coach ever did.

Yeah, Frost has had a much easier path to success. Interestingly, he's had fewer head cases with the players he inherited from Riley than his own. But alas, Frost has struggled mightily with player relations.

One coach was mediocre to poor. His successor is somehow even worse. Regardless, I'm still behind him in 2021 because his success means my team will be successful. But to this point, he's in the running for the worst coach in NU football history. There is truly zero evidence as of today that Frost is better than Riley. But we're scraping the bottom of the barrel with that debate -- and we shouldn't have to.

Speaking of mental gymnastics.......

Riley was, is, and forever will be mediocre. I'm done derailing a thread having to actually explain that.

Recruiting is a problem. How many receivers are still in the program from each class? What happened to all the Florida recruits that helped elevate last years class? How we looking at OLB? But no, no issues here. Everything is perfect.
Yep. Everything is perfect. That’s what I said.

Have a nice day.

All treatment is objective. Agreed. I think you meant to say 'Too critical' and you get your access to the program cut off? I get that. Or maybe you're saying that 'Fair' includes 'critical' and that's not allowed? I'm sure most programs are more supportive of positive media converge for obvious reasons, but I hope we're not just shutting down all critical thought.

Either way, it's an interesting dynamic.

We also have an interesting dynamic going on here on this board right now. Three distinct groups. One group thinks they've seen things to give them optimism for this staff, but is and will continue to be critical of things they think are mistakes. One thinks everything is roses and any criticism is not allowed (or a slight variation thereof) and another that thinks pretty much everything this staff has done or not done is crap. No exceptions. Those three are oversimplified for sake of brevity, but you get the gist.

We've got ourselves backed in a corner right now. This season is really going to be a big one for the program and the fan base. I have no doubt some here will cling to the thought that 'We're building something and headed in the right direction' even with another 4 win season, while some will continue to shake the 'Abject failure, 12-20' cow bell for anything short of a B1G Championship.

I'll still be in the group that calls it like I see it. That likely won't make the 'All is grand' group happy nor the 'This staff sucks' group happy, but that's not what I'm here for.
I’m with you, Crab. And I’m okay with any of those “groups “ of fans. All are entitled to their own opinion. What gets me is when people just make chit up to try to make their point. I have little tolerance for those who are disingenuous and dishonest. Some people just choose a position and defend it at all cost, apparently. It seems like some people are more concerned about winning an argument than having a discussion about Husker football.

Ok, so back on topic. What, if anything, can be done to get back in it with Jackson and/or Woods? Top 5 lists are meaningless for the most part.

Really other than keeping in contact with any kids we're interested in, regardless of their interest in Nebraska, what can be done?

You get a kid who wants to go out of state and you're really pissing up a rope trying to change his mind. How much time do you spend trying to get a kid to show some interest before ultimately signing elsewhere? Wouldn't that time have been better spent focusing on a kid who DID show interest in being part of Nebraska Football? Seems like an easy choice to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back