• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

O-Town Boys

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why does Nebraska owe him a call if they don't feel he fits what they are trying to do? If he were kid from anywhere else we would not be having this discussion.

Not to mention if you read the article I posted he was squishy about his future anyway.

Anyway this had all been beat to death.

Well maybe because he is a very good proven player at a position of need and we are trying to recruit his brother? Maybe we don't owe him a call, but maybe, just maybe we call him for PR reasons if nothing else? He came on the radio (1620) and I could tell he wasn't happy that they didn't reach out to him. He made it very clear that every other Big Ten team reached out to him. Maybe we should have reached out to him because we need to mend some fences with the Omaha area coaches? What part of his game doesn't fit what we are trying to do? Are we just going to play 6'3" and above WR's even in the slot? I commented on your point and the thread of this article is O-Town boys. It is a discussion about recruiting Omaha area kids and as most agree, we need to do better. You have the right to disagree, but don't act like someone can have a different opinion than yours.

Well maybe because he is a very good proven player at a position of need and we are trying to recruit his brother? Maybe we don't owe him a call, but maybe, just maybe we call him for PR reasons if nothing else? He came on the radio (1620) and I could tell he wasn't happy that they didn't reach out to him. He made it very clear that every other Big Ten team reached out to him. Maybe we should have reached out to him because we need to mend some fences with the Omaha area coaches? What part of his game doesn't fit what we are trying to do? Are we just going to play 6'3" and above WR's even in the slot? I commented on your point and the thread of this article is O-Town boys. It is a discussion about recruiting Omaha area kids and as most agree, we need to do better. You have the right to disagree, but don't act like someone can have a different opinion than yours.

Which is what you just did

Lighten up like you said we are just having a discussion

Which has been a pretty good give and take so far

Last edited:
His dad got in a tiff with Jay Foreman, where it was said about Iowas great past.
This on its face seems an elevation of iowas past performance,especially in regards to ours, but there it was.
Now, hearing this, it makes me wonder exactly whats already been said between the staff and the Johnson family, no disrespect to anyone, but it does put into question if things are as simple as, he didnt get an offer.
I will dig up Foremans response to the above if needed, but to the point, its possible the ship never made it to shore before it could ever sail away, it may have passed by, but again, who knows.

His dad got in a tiff with Jay Foreman, where it was said about Iowas great past.
This on its face seems an elevation of iowas past performance,especially in regards to ours, but there it was.
Now, hearing this, it makes me wonder exactly whats already been said between the staff and the Johnson family, no disrespect to anyone, but it does put into question if things are as simple as, he didnt get an offer.
I will dig up Foremans response to the above if needed, but to the point, its possible the ship never made it to shore before it could ever sail away, it may have passed by, but again, who knows.

I agree that there's more to the story. FWIW, I do have some local coaching sources that are friends and I don't put out everything I know about recruiting efforts.

I've already accepted that we won't get the 2 Bell West kids, the Central kid and the Burke kid. Although the 2 kids from Bell West are very good prospects, they hurt a little less because of last year's haul at TE. What I think most agree on is that because Nebraska hasn't been winning, kids aren't as interested and many kids in Omaha moved here from somewhere else or their parents moved here from somewhere else. They did a good job on Prohaska, Fidone, Heinrich (dad went to iowa), Hickman, Bretz, "but" and it's a big "but" the Omaha kids probably have to be recruited harder than someone outside of the Omaha area. Now, some people can take that as criticizing the staff, but I just think it's reality. Because of the lack of official visits, 2022 will be a challenging for Nebraska's recruiting. Hopefully, 5/31/ will be the final extension of no visits. If Nebraska struggles in 2021 more than expected, it could get a little ugly. Although I've generally been critical of Frost, I do think we need to give him a 5th year unless next year is a complete dumpster fire. Firing coaches hasn't improved our program going back to Frank Solich. Yes Callahan and Riley need to be fired. I just hope this nightmare we have been living in ends soon.

The five nebraskans signed in this year's 2021 class are the most in a single class since Pelini's first season 2008 ... yes, the same year/class Dr Tom personally offered the relatively unknown West Point, NE LB Micah Kriekemeier a scholarship right after the press conference announcing the Pelini hire to emphasize the importance of recruiting local talent. For what it's worth, HCSF's 2019 class also had 5 in state signees, including some highly sought after Omaha kids.

going on 14 years since the Tomfather reached out an olive branch to demonstrate the importance of homegrown loyalty.... These 2022 kids were in pre school or kindergarten then & have grown up surrounded by displeased Husker Fans continually calling for changes - no wonder DONU's a hard sell for some who continually hear the whispers, yelling, tantrums negativity.

We need kids who want to be at DONU first and foremost... if that translates to on-field success, these kinds of things likely will take care of themselves.

Last edited:
I agree that there's more to the story. FWIW, I do have some local coaching sources that are friends and I don't put out everything I know about recruiting efforts.

I've already accepted that we won't get the 2 Bell West kids, the Central kid and the Burke kid. Although the 2 kids from Bell West are very good prospects, they hurt a little less because of last year's haul at TE. What I think most agree on is that because Nebraska hasn't been winning, kids aren't as interested and many kids in Omaha moved here from somewhere else or their parents moved here from somewhere else. They did a good job on Prohaska, Fidone, Heinrich (dad went to iowa), Hickman, Bretz, "but" and it's a big "but" the Omaha kids probably have to be recruited harder than someone outside of the Omaha area. Now, some people can take that as criticizing the staff, but I just think it's reality. Because of the lack of official visits, 2022 will be a challenging for Nebraska's recruiting. Hopefully, 5/31/ will be the final extension of no visits. If Nebraska struggles in 2021 more than expected, it could get a little ugly. Although I've generally been critical of Frost, I do think we need to give him a 5th year unless next year is a complete dumpster fire. Firing coaches hasn't improved our program going back to Frank Solich. Yes Callahan and Riley need to be fired. I just hope this nightmare we have been living in ends soon.
Agreed. Omaha kids are different nowadays for many reasons, its a changing world.
What this does mean though is, its likely we will never get as many going forwards as we used to.

Making assumptions,not you, but its been said, assumptions since kids cant make officials, it should make it easier ignores the changing landscape and recruits themselves with no prior ties to Nebraska.
Kids do have options, and especially, if their parents have moved here for work, they have monies to take unofficials, plus the social media approaches help level the playing field for any savvy program that can get a kids eyes ears and voice.

It's dismissed as not a big recruiting win because "he was always coming here". That's the standard mantra to use when people don't want to give any credit to the staff, the same as people saying "we don't want people who don't want to be here" by the other side.

Just want to verify, I never said Fidone was "always coming here." Just pointed out that him growing up a huge Husker homer was definitely a factor.

I’m only concerned about two of the four. The two TEs would be nice and maybe we’ll get one. But we’re stocked well at TE for a while and there are more in the radius. They don’t have to be from Omaha.

Jackson I don’t think was ever going to Nebraska. He’s the one I would want the most. He’s a casualty of losing games for three years, not bad recruiting. I know people say that the staff needs to be able to convince kids to come to Nebraska and they need to sell and show them more love. Well, you can do all of that but if you’re not winning games at Nebraska and several winning national programs want you then you’re going to listen. If you’re of the mind that you want to build something at home and play closer to friends and family, then you strongly consider Nebraska. But if you’re of the mindset that you want to go to a proven winner then I don’t care what the coaches do or say it’s not going to happen. We have to start winning games. That’s the problem. Recruiting is not the problem.

Woods reportedly had some interest in Nebraska but another losing season in 2020 and more winning programs pushing hard and it’s hard to blame him for choosing the easier path to being part of a winning team. Guys are all built differently. This isn’t that complicated. Is it good that we’re going to miss out on some good Omaha kids in this next class? Hell no. It sucks. But the narrative that our coaches are poor recruiters is pure BS. Actually, it’s incredibly impressive that they just put together a top 20 class despite three losing seasons in a row. Is there another staff with three losing seasons that have done that? It’s impressive. And as we’ve noted almost half of those kids are from the radius. It’s amazing how all those kids got plenty of communication but we supposedly have a kid in Omaha who didn’t know he had an offer. Bullchit. Are people really that stupid to believe that crap? The four star linebacker in freakin Hawaii knew he had an offer and is coming to Lincoln. But we’re expected to believe our staff doesn’t recruit or communicate well enough? Please.

Win some damn games and the recruiting will continue to be very good. Keep losing and it’s going to get really hard to get kids here no matter where they’re from. This isn’t rocket surgery folks.
You've made my point. A kid from Hawaii or Florida gets treated like a big deal. They're recruited hard and there's no mistaking that. Yet multiple mention there being a bit of disconnect between the staff and Omaha recruits and it's dismissed as bullchit. A few guys keep regurgitating Sean Callahan talking points as if it's gospel and ignore some of the criticism that even Benning and others has made about how the staff worked Omaha.

A few guys keep regurgitating Sean Callahan talking points as if it's gospel and ignore some of the criticism that even Benning and others has made about how the staff worked Omaha.

Pointer #1 for all HM members. If you ever find yourself using Sean Callahan in defense of whatever argument you are siding with..........step back, take a breather.........because you are probably on the wrong side of right.

You've made my point. A kid from Hawaii or Florida gets treated like a big deal. They're recruited hard and there's no mistaking that. Yet multiple mention there being a bit of disconnect between the staff and Omaha recruits and it's dismissed as bullchit. A few guys keep regurgitating Sean Callahan talking points as if it's gospel and ignore some of the criticism that even Benning and others has made about how the staff worked Omaha.

Who’s Sean Callahan?

Bet

Betts, Heinrich, Hickman, Bretz, Fidone, Prochaska, Rollins... all Omaha area guys who knew they had an offer and committed to Frost. But people believe that Dickerson didn’t know he had an offer, that staff communication is that poor. The argument just doesn’t hold water. But people are free to believe what they want.

My belief is that recruiting is not a problem. That’s my opinion, not based on anything any writer or former player said. Losing is the problem. But you don’t have to agree.

Bet

Betts, Heinrich, Hickman, Bretz, Fidone, Prochaska, Rollins... all Omaha area guys who knew they had an offer and committed to Frost. But people believe that Dickerson didn’t know he had an offer, that staff communication is that poor. The argument just doesn’t hold water. But people are free to believe what they want.

My belief is that recruiting is not a problem. That’s my opinion, not based on anything any writer or former player said. Losing is the problem. But you don’t have to agree.
Recruiting is a problem. How many receivers are still in the program from each class? What happened to all the Florida recruits that helped elevate last years class? How we looking at OLB? But no, no issues here. Everything is perfect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back