• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

O-Town Boys

Status
Not open for further replies.

So I am going to go out on a limb here, just for discussion sake. I know we miss recruits from all over, but it seems to me the one area we miss out on the most is Omaha. We seem to do ok with Lincoln, and the 'out of state' (meaning Norfolk, Fremont, Grand Island etc.) kids. Not perfect but I think we do better, but if I am wrong I have no problem being corrected. Where I am going with this is maybe, just maybe it is not the staff (or prior staffs) that is the issue so much, maybe just maybe Omaha is the issue. Omaha is different than the rest of the state on many things not just football, so while the current staff has made mistakes and they need to fix them, maybe the issue is Omaha. Just some food for thought.

I agree that Omaha is different than the rest of the state, but that just means you have to treat Omaha kids more like you would Georgia kids. Problems are likely to occur if you just assume Omaha kids are likely a Husker lean and then slow play them.

I agree that Omaha is different than the rest of the state, but that just means you have to treat Omaha kids more like you would Georgia kids. Problems are likely to occur if you just assume Omaha kids are likely a Husker lean and then slow play them.

Most of the rest of the state is rural and kids for the most part still see Nebraska football like they did 20, 30 and 40 years ago

Omaha as a major Metropolitan area in the social media cell phone age as you rightfully pointed out is a different entity unto itself and thus has to he treated differently for the most part and recruited as such.

Bottom line I agree with you and hopefully the staff makes the corrections etc needed

Now there are some kids who just want to leave the state for whatever reason. I had friends and teammates like that. I think we all have. Winning will help change that narrative but in some cases it will not matter.

Good discussion I could go on

Last edited:

That didn't work real well with Keagon Johnson did it.
That's kind of the point though right? You have to actively recruit these kids like you would any other recruit that you want in your program. I don't think that happened with KJ under Riley and it was probably too late for Frost. But this staff can't make that same mistake with Omaha kids. Especially if you're winning percentage is below .500.

That's kind of the point though right? You have to actively recruit these kids like you would any other recruit that you want in your program. I don't think that happened with KJ under Riley and it was probably too late for Frost. But this staff can't make that same mistake with Omaha kids. Especially if you're winning percentage is below .500.

Keagon Johnson was only a freshman in HS when Riley was fired. My point was that Keagon Johnson grew up a Nebraska fan. His father was a part of 2 national championship teams at Nebraska. I am sure Frost and his coaches recruited him just as hard as they did Fidone. In the end KJ chose to go elsewhere.

Keagon Johnson was only a freshman in HS when Riley was fired. My point was that Keagon Johnson grew up a Nebraska fan. His father was a part of 2 national championship teams at Nebraska. I am sure Frost and his coaches recruited him just as hard as they did Fidone. In the end KJ chose to go elsewhere.
And Keagan got to watch both of his brothers get snubbed by NU.

Who have they slow played?

And Keagan got to watch both of his brothers get snubbed by NU.

I am not saying that that wasn't part of the thought process that went into him choosing not to come to Nebraska. I sure that was part of it, no matter what Clester Johnson says. Those snubs were not by Scott Frost and his staff. Those snubs were by Bo Pelini and Mike Riley. What I am telling you is that Scott Frost and his staff IMO probably recruited Keagon Johnson just as hard as they recruited Thomas Fidone.

I think it is crazy that some people on this board think that Scott Frost and his staff are some how not doing there do diligence in recruiting these 4 players from Omaha. TJ Bollers is a 4 star from Tiffin, Iowa, which is basically a suburb of Iowa City is going to Wisconsin to play football this fall. His father played at Iowa. Do you think Kirk Ferentz and his staff did something wrong in his recruitment?

Fidone and Bollers were pretty much rated 1 and 2 in Iowa for this recruiting cycle. Neither one of them is going to Iowa or ISU. I guess Campbell and Ferentz did something wrong.

Woods and Jackson for a long time have made it known that they are probably not going to Nebraska. This is nothing new.

I am not saying that that wasn't part of the thought process that went into him choosing not to come to Nebraska. I sure that was part of it, no matter what Clester Johnson says. Those snubs were not by Scott Frost and his staff. Those snubs were by Bo Pelini and Mike Riley. What I am telling you is that Scott Frost and his staff IMO probably recruited Keagon Johnson just as hard as they recruited Thomas Fidone.

I think it is crazy that some people on this board think that Scott Frost and his staff are some how not doing there do diligence in recruiting these 4 players from Omaha. TJ Bollers is a 4 star from Tiffin, Iowa, which is basically a suburb of Iowa City is going to Wisconsin to play football this fall. His father played at Iowa. Do you think Kirk Ferentz and his staff did something wrong in his recruitment?

Fidone and Bollers were pretty much rated 1 and 2 in Iowa for this recruiting cycle. Neither one of them is going to Iowa or ISU. I guess Campbell and Ferentz did something wrong.

Woods and Jackson for a long time have made it known that they are probably not going to Nebraska. This is nothing new.
You are seeing it the same as i do.
I used Michigan though.
Its even possible this year, kids need to feel somethingg new because of the virus as well, others, theres just no native connections at that level.

Last edited:

In fairness one ended up at a mid-major and the other at an FCS school. Neither as I recall had any big offers.

Snub in these cases might be a bit harsh considering the whole picture

We offered a kid from Montana State, but not Kaden when he was actively looking to grad transfer.

Where did Woods and Jackson say they weren't going to Nebraska? All I've heard is this staff would have to work for them and was getting outworked by Missouri's staff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back