• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

O-Town Boys

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I am going to go out on a limb here, just for discussion sake. I know we miss recruits from all over, but it seems to me the one area we miss out on the most is Omaha. We seem to do ok with Lincoln, and the 'out of state' (meaning Norfolk, Fremont, Grand Island etc.) kids. Not perfect but I think we do better, but if I am wrong I have no problem being corrected. Where I am going with this is maybe, just maybe it is not the staff (or prior staffs) that is the issue so much, maybe just maybe Omaha is the issue. Omaha is different than the rest of the state on many things not just football, so while the current staff has made mistakes and they need to fix them, maybe the issue is Omaha. Just some food for thought.

So I am going to go out on a limb here, just for discussion sake. I know we miss recruits from all over, but it seems to me the one area we miss out on the most is Omaha. We seem to do ok with Lincoln, and the 'out of state' (meaning Norfolk, Fremont, Grand Island etc.) kids. Not perfect but I think we do better, but if I am wrong I have no problem being corrected. Where I am going with this is maybe, just maybe it is not the staff (or prior staffs) that is the issue so much, maybe just maybe Omaha is the issue. Omaha is different than the rest of the state on many things not just football, so while the current staff has made mistakes and they need to fix them, maybe the issue is Omaha. Just some food for thought.

Its not the same attitudes I knew

1614178734203.jpeg

We shouldn't have a guy from Lincoln in charge of recruiting in Omaha!

Move the river further west and make Omaha part of Iowa? But at first thought i hear you, but they did pull in 2/3 this year

You're not entirely wrong, as a life long Omaha Native, unfortunately we do tend to have more iowa, iowa st., ND, Mich, MInn, etc. grads because we have more larger national employers and people moving in. There continues to be a subconscious rivalry between Lincoln and Omaha that goes back to when several citizens (not from Omaha), basically took all the territorial papers, etc. and moved it from Omaha to Lincoln right before Nebr. became a state. The Omaha area high schools have been dominant when it comes to football and basketball over Lincoln and the other western Class "A" schools. Elkhorn, Gretna and Skutt have been dominant in "B". Who is recruiting Omaha for Nebraska? Barrett Ruud. LSE has produced some very good players over the years, no doubt and we seem to have a great in with them. Barrett needs to work harder in Omaha because he's a Lincoln guy. I know some of you are going to throw stones at this, but the Ruud family is not well known by the existing players in Omaha and as we've discussed more than we want, Nebraska hasn't been good for quite some time. I'm hoping that will change. If it doesn't we'll lose our Lincoln strong hold as well.

As for the 2022 class, the 2 Bell west kids are very good, but they are also at the position we need to shore up the least. The Central kid and Burke kids are real needs and I've already accepted the fact that we will most likely go 0-4. It will be bad optics, but it is what it is right now. Unless we turn it around on the field, 2022 may be a very thin year for Nebraska recruiting wise and not being able to have visits hurts us with out of Nebraska kids, so it's kind of like a double whammy. I still think Nebraska can be good again and by that I mean winning the west 33% of the time and winning 8-10 games a year. I don't think we'll ever see another National Championship, but I hope I'm wrong. We are at a huge disadvantage recruiting wise, so we need to get better locally.

You're not entirely wrong, as a life long Omaha Native, unfortunately we do tend to have more iowa, iowa st., ND, Mich, MInn, etc. grads because we have more larger national employers and people moving in. There continues to be a subconscious rivalry between Lincoln and Omaha that goes back to when several citizens (not from Omaha), basically took all the territorial papers, etc. and moved it from Omaha to Lincoln right before Nebr. became a state. The Omaha area high schools have been dominant when it comes to football and basketball over Lincoln and the other western Class "A" schools. Elkhorn, Gretna and Skutt have been dominant in "B". Who is recruiting Omaha for Nebraska? Barrett Ruud. LSE has produced some very good players over the years, no doubt and we seem to have a great in with them. Barrett needs to work harder in Omaha because he's a Lincoln guy. I know some of you are going to throw stones at this, but the Ruud family is not well known by the existing players in Omaha and as we've discussed more than we want, Nebraska hasn't been good for quite some time. I'm hoping that will change. If it doesn't we'll lose our Lincoln strong hold as well.

As for the 2022 class, the 2 Bell west kids are very good, but they are also at the position we need to shore up the least. The Central kid and Burke kids are real needs and I've already accepted the fact that we will most likely go 0-4. It will be bad optics, but it is what it is right now. Unless we turn it around on the field, 2022 may be a very thin year for Nebraska recruiting wise and not being able to have visits hurts us with out of Nebraska kids, so it's kind of like a double whammy. I still think Nebraska can be good again and by that I mean winning the west 33% of the time and winning 8-10 games a year. I don't think we'll ever see another National Championship, but I hope I'm wrong. We are at a huge disadvantage recruiting wise, so we need to get better locally.

Good takes. As someone from Fremont, I don't like either Omaha or Lincoln, they have always been the big bullies, but that is just sour grapes on my part. I never thought of Rudd recruiting Omaha but that is an interesting take.

Tell the boys from O town, looky here

Last edited:

Very good points. As an Omaha Native (Millard South HS), I would say the Huskers have received the vast majority of talent over the years. However, in the mid 80's TO had a losing streak for Omaha area players - Larry Station and then most of the D1 players from Omaha Central's 1984 state championship team went to other schools and we have from time to time lost Omaha recruiting battles going back to Gayle Sayers. We have won some also - too many to name. I believe this will be another phase where we lose a few battles but ultimately win the war. Staying the course has proven to be the best long term option instead of constant coaching change for Omaha recruiting and for the program at large so there is definitely no need to panic.

Very good points. As an Omaha Native (Millard South HS), I would say the Huskers have received the vast majority of talent over the years. However, in the mid 80's TO had a losing streak for Omaha area players - Larry Station and then most of the D1 players from Omaha Central's 1984 state championship team went to other schools and we have from time to time lost Omaha recruiting battles going back to Gayle Sayers. We have won some also - too many to name. I believe this will be another phase where we lose a few battles but ultimately win the war. Staying the course has proven to be the best long term option instead of constant coaching change for Omaha recruiting and for the program at large so there is definitely no need to panic.
Agreed, excellent points and great context

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back